Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle

Boxed or Draw-Cord TQ Footbox

I'm awaiting materials to make a top quilt. I have pretty much decided on most parameters, but I can't make up my mind on footbox closure method. I know a fully insulated sewn is the warmest, but I'm not interested in dealing with its inherent added complexity. What I'm torn between is a sewn "boxed" footbox vs. a draw-cord "cinched" footbox (with pillow-plug) and zipper.

For a "boxed" design: I'm worried the seams around the fooxbox would be like a "sewn-through" quilt and cause cold spots. I went with a cinched footbox on my climashield quilt and haven't had any problems with drafts.

With a "cinched" footbox: I like the idea of being able to open up the quilt for some ventilation or to use it as a regular blanket in warmer conditions. I haven't utilized this benefit with my climashield quilt because I mostly use it in a layering system in cold weather, so I don't know how well venting/blanket-mode work.

Other details: I'm aiming for a 20 degree rating but I would like the quilt to be as versatile as possible for 3+ season ground and hammock use. I've decided on 55" wide tapered to 40", horizontal baffles filled with the new UP insulation, and horizontal baffles.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    If you're worried about the hole in the cinched footbox, UGQ came up with a brilliant idea:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...FOOTBOX-UPDATE

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    I'm leaning towards a sewn footbox. Does anyone know if the seams would be a problem if I just did a boxed design? Or an easy way to make it fully insulated?

Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    If you're worried about the hole in the cinched footbox, UGQ came up with a brilliant idea:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...FOOTBOX-UPDATE
    I've never seen either in person, but how similar is this to the way the Katabatic quilts cinch the footbox?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Looks quite similar, actually. They have some videos on the Katabatic site and it clearly shows a snap system.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I offer a third solution: just use a longer zipper and have it go around the footbox. In my opinion this is the best of both worlds. You get the versatility of a zipped footbox but don't loose length for cinching the end. And there is no hole to plug. I have been using several sleeping bags with that type of footbox for 9 years now and wouldn't want to use anything else.

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    I will never willingly get a cinch tq again. I hate the buttons or zipper under my legs and a boxed foot box just offers me more room.

That said, I have not once felt the need to vent a tq or open it back up like a blanket except for home use.

I find making a boxed end easier then a cinched, but I'm probably the minority.

As far as sewn through, iv only made tq from clima, and where its sewn through, there usually is a large bunching of material. I'd wager my sewn thru seams are warmer then the rest. The same wouldnt apply to down and baffles though...

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I offer a third solution: just use a longer zipper and have it go around the footbox. In my opinion this is the best of both worlds. You get the versatility of a zipped footbox but don't loose length for cinching the end. And there is no hole to plug. I have been using several sleeping bags with that type of footbox for 9 years now and wouldn't want to use anything else.
    That's an interesting idea. The downside I see is that unless I added a draft tube/flap to cover it (like a sleeping bag has), the zipper would be a bigger cold spot than a sewn through seam. The end product might be nice, but it would be a bit over complicated for my taste; sewing zippers is a pain to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by chapinb View Post
    [...]
    I find making a boxed end easier then a cinched, but I'm probably the minority.

As far as sewn through, iv only made tq from clima, and where its sewn through, there usually is a large bunching of material. I'd wager my sewn thru seams are warmer then the rest. The same wouldn't apply to down and baffles though...
    I'm liking the simplicity of a boxed design. I'm trying to think of a solution to the sewn through seams.
    Last edited by jabraso; 11-22-2019 at 01:04.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jabraso View Post
    That's an interesting idea. The downside I see is that unless I added a draft tube/flap to cover it (like a sleeping bag has), the zipper would be a bigger cold spot than a sewn through seam. The end product might be nice, but it would be a bit over complicated for my taste; sewing zippers is a pain to begin with.
    This hasn't been a problem with any of my two sleeping bags. One has a narrow draft collar along the zipper. With the other it looks like the zipper was simply sewn a bit on the outside, which creates kind of a draft collar on the inside. Both solutions don't seem particularly complicated. Adding a draft collar means a couple of extra steps; moving the zipper location means a bit more planning if I imagine the construction correctly. For me, the result is totally worth it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    This hasn't been a problem with any of my two sleeping bags. One has a narrow draft collar along the zipper. With the other it looks like the zipper was simply sewn a bit on the outside, which creates kind of a draft collar on the inside. Both solutions don't seem particularly complicated. Adding a draft collar means a couple of extra steps; moving the zipper location means a bit more planning if I imagine the construction correctly. For me, the result is totally worth it.
    I think I can picture it better now; I tend to over complicate things in my head. I do like the concept, but the more I think about it the more a sewn footbox appeals to me.

95% of the time the quilt would be zipped/cinched up. Being able to open the quilt up might be nice during an unexpected warm night, but I've only had that happen once. I already have a couple of down throw TQs that I would use instead when I knew it would a be warm night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast