Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
Sleep apnia is very difficult to self diagnose. Many people who have it swear they dont. Its worth having a sleep study done if you're are perhaps feeling tired all the time. Sleeping in the hammock may just give you more superficial lucid-dreaming experience where you were more aware of the problem if there was one.

The other similar issue is that your head and neck position in a hammock probably are different than a bed, so you may be more prone breathing difficulties in one or the other.

No real way to know about CO2 unless you have an actual monitor.
Sure sounds like sleep apnea. If there is a build up of CO2, the body's response to that is a faster breathing rate to blow the CO2 off, but not necessarily waking up with a gasp. Also, if it was a build up of CO2, the urge to breath should have continued after you woke up. Did it?

My wife has never reported any signs in me of sleep apnea, or even much snoring unless flat on my back. But in a bed, my normal tendency is too mostly side sleep, so she is rarely aware of me snoring, much less sleep apnea. With most of us, snoring is greatly reduced with side sleeping.

But in a hammock, I more frequently sleep on my back than I do in a bed. And I have been awakened many times by my snoring, my impression is that my tongue is falling back into the back of my throat, obstructing my airway. Which would then pretty much be sleep apnea.

Other than just turning on my side, or maybe just partly on my side with my back supported by the sides of a bridge hammock, I have as SmcKinney said, used something to support my neck and keep my head tilted back a bit, maybe a C shaped pillow. Or sometimes there is a head pocket forms in the hammock. Or, I have turned that C shaped pillow around so that it prevents my chin from dropping too far down(mouth open), which helps keep the tongue from obstructing the airway. I also have a blow up C shaped pillow that I can adjust for just the right size, and not too big.

Then again, if venting solves your problem, you are good to go!