banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief

Late discoveries about side sleeping and lay direction preference

I’ve slept full-time in hammocks since 2013. Surprisingly, i still seem to be learning some basic stuff.

One is how to side sleep in a gathered end. I’m still predominantly a back sleeper, but only recently have gotten comfortable for longer periods on my side. At the risk of stating the obvious to some, the key is to find the flat line. If you just roll over from your back onto your side, it’s likely that your hips will feel ill supported, too low. So push your butt rearward “up the wall” until it finds a good level.

Sort of how a trail can cross a canyon between ridges without losing elevation by following the slope along the walls, so your body can find a level lay by staying out of the low middle of the hammock. Again this is maybe real obvious, but how come it took me so long to figure out? Don’t answer.

The other thing I’ve learned is that lay direction preference is almost wholly habit, at least for me. I thought for years that I was a head-left, feet-right guy, as immutably as I’m right handed. It turns out though that hanging my hammock along a different wall makes it easier for me to lay the other way, and after about 2 weeks it’s as if I’ve always laid this way. I’m sure i could go back with practice. Habit, not physiology.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    What you say about "Push your butt rearward, 'up the wall'" is, if I'm understanding correctly, achieved by having the foot end of the hammock higher. IIRC, the theory is that this is because most of our body mass is located above the waist, and having the foot higher compensates for the tendency to slide toward the middle.

I am also right handed and early on read about the general preference for head left/feet right but I immediately had, and maintain, a very strong preference for head right/feet left. For me, the other way just feels not right... not right at all!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    11' 5 O'Clock Shadow
    Tarp
    Indoors
    Insulation
    DIY down throw UQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckle,straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    What you say about "Push your butt rearward, 'up the wall'" is, if I'm understanding correctly, achieved by having the foot end of the hammock higher. IIRC, the theory is that this is because most of our body mass is located above the waist, and having the foot higher compensates for the tendency to slide toward the middle.

I am also right handed and early on read about the general preference for head left/feet right but I immediately had, and maintain, a very strong preference for head right/feet left. For me, the other way just feels not right... not right at all!
    I'm guessing he means stick your butt out behind you, so that it's supported slightly up the side of the hammock. That, and with my knees slightly forward, is how I've always slept on my side, and I've never had an issue side-sleeping in a gathered end hammock.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

I've noticed when I fall asleep in my recliner, I always end up slightly head right. It's more than a choice; our bodies are not perfectly symmetrical.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I also find the shelf created by the very edge of the hammock fabric can make a nice pillow. As for head/ foot one way or the other I switch throughout the night as I move from sleeping on my right side to my left side.

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    I mean pushing butt out toward the side of the hammock, where the fabric is tighter, for more support. Not just butt out: adjust your whole body along the hammock to find the right level of support for each part. I also always hang the foot end well higher, but that’s unrelated.

Re bodies being asymmetric accounting for lay direction preference, i used to believe that too because i have scoliosis. But i no longer believe it. If you switch to the “wrong” side and stick with it, it will become the new normal, is my experience.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    I love a good flip-flop-sideways-lay night of sleep. Ten hours of back and forth and deep slumber. Throw a little back lay and some taco in there for fun.

The pillow effect is nice when laying on the side. I find it to be comfortable when trying to stay fully in the hammock and have conversation with the camp. A good sideways lay and the little shelf created by fabric supports the head.

In my wide fabric hammocks I try to recreate that shelf when on a diagonal on my back and it makes a great little shelf to hold my elbow.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC; WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Another option besides the "stick out your butt" technique is to tuck a small, elongated pillow or a folded fleece blanket behind you as you assume the side-sleep position. No need to stick out your butt, but has the same effect.
    The game is the best teacher.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Sometimes I sleep best laying on my left side. I usually just wiggle around until it feels right. My head usually ends up close to the left edge of the hammock, and my feet/butt somewhere just to the right of middle.

My only issues with side-lay in a gathered end hammock are.........none! It works great.

• + New Posts