Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    Straps and Beetle
    So I ordered a winter width catch all sack at 7:24 this morning. At 8:52 I received an email saying he "Jared" was just finishing up my order. I went with the 10 foot length. 10 feet seemed to be a good fit on my summer catch all and 11 foot trail runner with 110 inch ridge line. I cinch up the end of the catch all just leaving the continuous loops exposed.

So I took my catch-all out last weekend. I meant to take a picture of it in the field, but completely forgot! You can kind of see it in this picture though - it's the blue thing on the far side of my hammock suspension. It worked great! I always prefer hanging my hammock first and hanging my tarp over it, but because it was raining, I hung my tarp first. Using the catch-all made it easy-peasy to hang my hammock though. I could get it hung and adjusted before removing the sack, and then of course my underquilt, etc. was already set up inside.

I also used a new single piece tarp sleeve that I bought from Jared for my new 13 foot Warbonnet Thunderfly tarp (got it in the Black Friday sale!). I generally like the tarp sleeve, except that I wish it didn't taper so sharply on one side, since you can't pull that end over the body of the tarp, making it more difficult to put it on the tarp in the first place, and also complicating the process of drying the tarp out at home, since it was difficult to free that end of the tarp to expose it to air and let it dry without pulling off the entire length of the tarp sleeve. Plus the sleeve pocket on that side is too tiny to actually put in my coiled guyline in. The catch-all sack was great though.

In terms of fitting the catch-all into my pack, I was worried about how it would go, folding it up in the field, particularly when everything around me was wet, including wet leaves all over the ground. It actually wasn't too difficult though. I unhooked one end of the suspension, and then rolled the sack up as tightly as I could, while walking to the other end of the suspension. Then I put the coiled sack into the trash bag I had brought, and knelt on it to squash it further while I coiled up my webbing. After that it went into my pack pretty easily - though I'm sorry I forgot to take a picture of it in the pack. My large compression sack from REI has arrived, so next trip I'll try that out, and take a picture if it works better. Much heavier than a trash bag, but if I wind up with much more free space in my pack, it will be worth it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Glad it is working out so well! Excited to see the next set of photos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I went with 9.5 for my DL WBRR on Jared's advice. He provided great customer service. I am really looking forward to getting it.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Bandit TQ Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    When Tapatalk said this thread was updated I just went ooo. Excited to see more photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had hoped to get out camping last week when I was off from work, but family-stuff meant I ended up having to stick close to home, and this coming weekend I'm traveling to see family. I'll post some more pics as soon as I'm able to get back out there.

So I FINALLY got out camping again, this time with my new Blackbird XLC instead of my Ridgerunner. I took the catch-all sack, though it's a little short for the 11 foot XLC. It does make set-up very quick, but I'm not completely sold on it to be honest. It's hard to pack away again, especially when using a big, poofy, 0 degree gathered-end underquilt like I was. You end up with a sort of massive, very slippery snake that you have to somehow squash down to get it packed away again.

The method that worked the best was to unhook one end of the hammock from the tree, and then walk towards the other end, folding the sack as I went to try to squash the air out. It was very difficult though, as the material is so slippery that it kept wanting to get away from me, and it definitely didn't want to stay nicely folded. Then I had to get it into the compression sack. Even after being compressed, the whole thing was massive! It took up over half the space in my pack.

Last time I used a trash bag instead of a compression sack, and that was slightly easier, because of the large size and particularly the large opening of the trash bag. I was able to kneel on it while it was inside the trash bag to squash the air out. The negative was that it wanted to unsquash in my pack, so it got in the way a bit whenever I had to go into my pack for something. The compression sack means it will stay compressed, but it's tougher to get it in there. Last time was also a bit easier because my Ridgerunner + Lynx is less bulky than my Blackbird XLC + Incubator.

It's possible that using the sack saved a tiny bit of time when packing up, but it was a more frustrating experience than just taking the underquilt off and packing it away on its own. The set-up might work better though with a lighter weight quilt (0 degree is the only quilt I own in a gathered-end style). The slipperiness of the material definitely made the process much more difficult. I think it's not worth the hassle on an overnight, or a trip where you are staying in one place, however I could see the utility if you were on a multi-day backpacking trip, because those saved minutes, particularly during set-up (where you really save the time) would add up. I would probably recommend a trash bag over a compression sack though.

Once again I forgot to take pictures on the actual trip, so I took some pics after I got back home and hung it in my basement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bansheekitty; 06-24-2020 at 15:53.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek XL
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I put a trash compactor back in pack and just stuffed the catch-all down into it. Mine has my 25d Ridgecreek XL UQ, an UQ protector and my Pine Down blanket (that I use in the summer). It took up about a third of my 65L Gregory Baltoro pack. I put the Thunderfly tarp (in its snakeskin) in its stuff sack in the bottom compartment of the pack along with my straps. My clothing bag goes in the trash bag along with the catch-all. I then compressed the stuff sack and had plenty of room for my other gear. My Ursack and off-road crocs are on the outside of the pack, secured with a PackNet. I carry a Ribz pack with my photo/video/field recording equipment and various odds and ends. I am planning to try it with a compression stuff sack to see how that works so I appreciate your commentary about doing that. I am hoping to be able to get it horizontal in the bottom of my pack . Thanks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123