Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kjune View Post
    Thank you for all the suggestions and tips. As usual, too many choices! I'm just going to go with line loc 3 + loop and 2 mm cordage from z-packs. Going to snip off the D-rings and attach them directly to the tarp tie outs. For the stake-end, an eye loop, plus little aluminum hooks. The eye loops are for the stakes. The little hooks are for the branches, roots, and deadman anchors. I'm also going to ditch the CRL and use this same set up for ridge line -- two line setup with enough length for a split V. For a clean look I'll spice the eye loops instead of tying them off -- once I verify that hooks don't get in the way too much.
    For a deadman, use a stick and tie a mooring hitch to secure the guy line to the stake, leaving the tail exposed when burying. Yank the tail and it comes right out. If you use any kind of hardware, chances are you'll have to dig it up to free it.

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Instead of the Line Lock 3, I’ve been using the Line Lock Hook. I keep them tile to my stakes, then hook them onto a loop of shock cord on the tarp like Shug has in his video. Very effective and since they’re attached to my stakes I don’t (typically) forget them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/WM bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I've been using Blake's hitch with Lawson Glowire for a few years with no problems. It stays tied at the tarp end so no need to re-tie, and I use MSH at the stake end.

Can you setup and take down without needing to de-glove though? The problem for me with both the MSH and the mooring hitch is that I can't work those with gloves. The stake/deadman end is a problem ... I can see digging would be an issue if the surface froze overnight.

I'm actually having trouble sourcing the hooks. Dutch hooks are probably the closet to what I'm looking for. Given the digging problem above, I think I might have to resign myself to cold hands as unavoidable (as already suggested by One Click).

And if I'm going to have to de-glove anyway, maybe I won't go with line locs after all. I'll try out the blake for adjustability with gloves. Thanks!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    For a deadman, use a stick and tie a mooring hitch to secure the guy line to the stake, leaving the tail exposed when burying. Yank the tail and it comes right out. If you use any kind of hardware, chances are you'll have to dig it up to free it.

Cmoulder, wish I’d thought of that one. Fantastic!

Sometimes I take a sturdy stick two feet long and a heavy rock or heavy non-rolling log.
    Tarp tie out: facing away from tarp start wrapping guyline under stick and continue on around stick in a spiral wrap (no overlaps) barberpole style, about a dozen wraps. Lay wrapped stick on ground and weight it down with log or rock on top a little to tarp side of stick but still on top of wrapped stick.
    Tighten guyline at tarp with prusik
    Holds good
    In morning remove rock or log.
    Pull guyline up and stick spins and rolls away—
    Guyline is now free

Evenk tribe in Siberia can tie Siberian Hitch while wearing leather mittens. I’ve not drunk enough whiskey to claim that skill.
    Siberian hitch can be tied fast. In middle rope with no need to pull rope end through each maneuver of hitch. I always add three daisy chain loops to Siberian hitch for stability.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Blake's hitch remains tied to the tarp D-rings so there's really nothing to tie after the initial rigging to tarp. I'm a firm believer in leaving ridge and guy lines attached to tarp. It's one less thing to forget, and since I don't carry a ton of back-up repair items I really don't want to unroll the tarp and find it has no cordage attached.

I'm lucky in that cold doesn't bother my hands too much, or at least it takes longer to start bothering me, but I've tied the mooring hitch while wearing polyester liners and polartec 200 gloves, and same with MSH. I should try it some time while wearing mittens!

The key is understanding the knot structure, and these are pretty simple, which is of course what you want in these situations. With the Mooring hitch you've also got the basic start for a Farrimond hitch as well.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Cmoulder, wish I’d thought of that one. Fantastic!

Sometimes I take a sturdy stick two feet long and a heavy rock or heavy non-rolling log.
    Tarp tie out: facing away from tarp start wrapping guyline under stick and continue on around stick in a spiral wrap (no overlaps) barberpole style, about a dozen wraps. Lay wrapped stick on ground and weight it down with log or rock on top a little to tarp side of stick but still on top of wrapped stick.
    Tighten guyline at tarp with prusik
    Holds good
    In morning remove rock or log.
    Pull guyline up and stick spins and rolls away—
    Guyline is now free

Evenk tribe in Siberia can tie Siberian Hitch while wearing leather mittens. I’ve not drunk enough whiskey to claim that skill.
    Siberian hitch can be tied fast. In middle rope with no need to pull rope end through each maneuver of hitch. I always add three daisy chain loops to Siberian hitch for stability.
    Haha, lotsa good ways to skin this cat!

I also like the stick and rock when I forget my stakes, which has happened exactly once in the last 25 years or so! I like your spiral idea, although I used a slipped clove hitch when I had to use the rock technique last year.

rock_stake_01.jpg

And I also once used a rock chock up in Maine... so many rocks it was impossible to sink a stake! (No longer use Zing-it, however!)

guyline_rock_chock.jpg

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    But you are right... look to people from cold climes to come up with easy knots... like the Lapp knot!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/WM bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    Instead of the Line Lock 3, I’ve been using the Line Lock Hook. I keep them tile to my stakes, then hook them onto a loop of shock cord on the tarp like Shug has in his video. Very effective and since they’re attached to my stakes I don’t (typically) forget them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think this would work well except for when stakes couldn't be used. I would also want all lines to be attached to the tarp too.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki/WM bag
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm lucky in that cold doesn't bother my hands too much, or at least it takes longer to start bothering me, but I've tied the mooring hitch while wearing polyester liners and polartec 200 gloves, and same with MSH. I should try it some time while wearing mittens!
    I was using 1.75mm zing-it, so maybe that's partly why I had trouble handling the line with gloves on? Are you using 2mm Lawson Glowire or 3mm?

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kjune View Post
    I was using 1.75mm zing-it, so maybe that's partly why I had trouble handling the line with gloves on? Are you using 2mm Lawson Glowire or 3mm?
    I am using 2mm but some people prefer 2.5 or 3mm. (The cord in the photo above with the mooring hitch is some unknown 3mm, not Glowire, that came with the tent, which is a MLD Duomid.)

My guess is that most will find Glowire (or the non-reflecting version) easier to handle than Zing-it, and it's definitely the way to go if you intend to use knots instead of bling. It holds all knots well... Zing-it holds a few knots but otherwise practically requires Ti bits for ease of tying off.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 11-18-2019 at 22:20.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast