Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TyRod View Post
    So if arriving and the lot is full, is it possible to pull a pulk from Pickeral Lake Campground to Green Timbers, or is it too rugged? Or maybe the road to it isn't even plowed and not an option? Just trying to avoid having to bum and coordinate a ride in and back to the local Pizza restaurant down the road.
    I would say Pickeral Lake to GT would be a no go and none of us have gone that route. I don't think the road in there is plowed, but I can confirm that with the ranger. Hare Road (next road over from GT lot) has been an option in past years...it is not plowed and depends of snow depth. We will have intel this weekend or Monday to confirm that. From there, it's a short walk in.

If people double park in the GT lot, note the make/model of vehicle your blocking. Make sure to let us know in camp, just in case that person has to leave early. Do not park in front of the gate for any reason, since that provides emergency/DNR access into the tract.

Mill Street Pizza is a good rendevous point and I must say, the pizza and breakfast are awesome. They open at 8 AM. Make sure to say hello to Tanya and let them know your leaving a vehicle there. I know a bunch of us plan to hit it for breakfast when we get up there and stop in again on Sunday for pizza.

Counting down the minutes till GT 2020!
    Last edited by michigandave; 02-11-2020 at 12:16.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I saw snowshoe tracks from the Pickerel lake direction 2 weekends ago. So I assume people are getting to the campground and day hiking but not sure. The campground is open year-round, so I think they plow it. Not a bad idea...not sure why I never thought of that. Probably because Hare was always accessible due to low snow.

Pickerel Lake campground parking to GT camp is about 1.15mi. Wonder if they'll ding you $15/night to park?

It's funny on the map though, it says "The trial to Green Timbers is poorly marked and very hard to follow". But with snowshoe tracks, seems like it would be easy.
    Last edited by OneClick; 02-11-2020 at 12:39.

Just heard back from the PRSF: Pickeral Road is only plowed to the last house, which is just south of the utility corridor and a long way from the lake. The corridor is super hilly and connects to Hare. One year, a couple of our guys hauled pulks down it. They don't recommend making that mistake again. It was brutal!

If people need ideas for food, we could be lacking on something for breakfast. I know Christo is doing his famous Dutch oven breakfast. We will have plenty of bacon, but if someone brings egg beaters and tortillas, we could mix it up with the bacon.

I've finally decided on a meal: Ed and I are doing bangers and mash Thursday night, including appetizer and a dessert.
    Last edited by michigandave; 02-13-2020 at 09:28.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    HUGE comeback on the temps for earlier in the week! Looking real good with some crisp air! Still not terrible after the weekend warmup but that can still change.

The anticipation is building up.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    edge
    Insulation
    DIY down -40 to 40
    Looks like it will be in the 30,s for the hang. I will being some egg beaters and my oven

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Forecast looks promising for some nice cold hammock nights mid-week.

Getting almost too excited waiting for this event to hurry up and arrive.

Anticipation almost as good as being out there in the woods, but not really.

Eggs and fireside oven, check / check!! Thanks Dogger....

Hammock
    Dogger
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Pickeral Road

Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    Just heard back from the PRSF: Pickeral Road is only plowed to the last house, which is just south of the utility corridor and a long way from the lake. The corridor is super hilly and connects to Hare. One year, a couple of our guys hauled pulks down it. They don't recommend making that mistake again. It was brutal.
    Brutal doesn't even start to describe it. If you must go that way. Drop your gear off at Hare road and hike it in to the power lines. Then go park and follow the power lines back. You don't want to hike those hills with a pulk! (been there done that)

I am coming in Friday after school. Going to make the tamales this weekend. Can't wait to get out there. Only a bit jealous of you guys who can get out there early!

Dirk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    A fresh 4" snow coming Monday night! Glad something came up at home to occupy and overwhelm my mind recently, because the anticipation was killing me. Need to refocus on this and start packing.

I'm liking this forecast! Accuweather even predicted 6-10 inches of snow Monday and tuesday, but I take their forecast with a grain of salt. Either way, they'll be snow and snowshoes are recommended. I'm assume that Hare Road is a no go, so GT lot it is.

NOAA always seems to have the most accurate forecast, so I'm planning around this. Looking forward to cookies on Doggers oven.

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Don't want to spoil things by posting pictures of food, but it's all prepped and packed. Just need to load the truck and go. Getting hard to focus on things besides camping now.

Anyone who'd like to come and have some adventures at Green Timbers, please update the worksheet and post in this thread so we know who/when to expect arrivals.

Ready to start counting the hours down it's getting close enough. So ready for this trip....

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast