Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Ugq vs hammock gear

So I have noticed that there seems to be a lot of people using ugq quilts lately. They are plastered all over YouTube and other sites. I have always used hammock gear products and am still very happy with them. So my question is what's the difference because both venders have similar products. No not wanting any one to get upset over the post. Mostly for fun and seeing what information is out there.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    This is just the opinion of one guy-who isn't necessarily plugged in to the latest, cutting-edge quilt technology as mine are all 4-6+ years old- and it's worth exactly what you are paying for it, but I don't think there is a whole heck of a lot of difference between the premium cottage vendors' offerings. Sure, some have different baffle designs and such, but I can't see anyone being less than satisfied with any quilt from a UGQ or HG as long as it fits their body size. As for the coverage on YouTube, many vendors have noticed the boom in hiking YT channels recently and have seen this as extremely cheap advertising (I'll send you a product for no charge in exchange for a video review). I don't know if UGQ has been doing this but it's pretty clear that HG has not as they don't seem to have as many of the YT "gear review" guys touting their products. I'm definitely not saying this quid-pro-quo shouldn't happen as I can see both the vendors and vlogger's perspectives, but when a channel starts becoming more of a pitchman and less of an entertainment venue for me, I quickly lose interest. Last week I unsubscribed from a popular channel that has taken a major surge in that direction recently.

Images
    I have underquilts and topquilts from both vendors. Both are high quality and fairly similar, with mostly only subtle differences in design and features. Hammock Gear does have the leg shelf design in their underquilts, which is something no other vendor is doing. Another difference is that Hammock Gear uses down with DWR (durable water resistant) treatment and UGQ does not. That's not to say DWR treatment is better, and some would argue that it isn't. It's up to you to decide if that matters to you or not, or which side of the argument you fall on.

All in all though, you'll be plenty happy with either vendor's products.

Ive owned both. Biggest difference I noticed was the footbox. UGQ offers a taper sewn that I prefer. HG may offer it now but in the past when I was looking they did not. Fabric chiices and customization seem to have more options at UGQ but like above Im not plugged into the latest and greatest. Ive owned a myriad of HG quilts as theyre local to me and I bought my first in Adams garage. However my Renegade TQ ended my search for the perfect TQ but as I understand it they dont offer it anymore. Im not sure what all specs it shares with the more economical bandit TQ. For value its hard to go wrong with either though and plenty of people are satisfied with both. I do feel that over time my UGQ still looks new despite its heavy usage vs some HG quilts Ive had that I believe has to do with the fabric.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clisbyclark View Post
    .....................I'm definitely not saying this quid-pro-quo shouldn't happen as I can see both the vendors and vlogger's perspectives, but when a channel starts becoming more of a pitchman and less of an entertainment venue for me, I quickly lose interest. Last week I unsubscribed from a popular channel that has taken a major surge in that direction recently.
    Ditto. I really don't follow any of them on a regular basis but just a sniff of this and I'm gone.

However I'm well past advertisers' coveted "18-54 demographic" so I don't matter much anyway LOL.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

I've got a UGQ Bandit topquilt and Hammock Gear econ under quilt. To me the quality of both is excellent and I would definitely buy from both again and probably will someday. I have also noticed the uptick of UGQ quilts appearance in some of the more popular YouTube channels and I assume it is a advertising strategy and probably a good one. I've had my UGQ for a year and half now using it tenting and hammocking and really can't say the YouTubers are lying cause it's a great quilt. I would assume if hammock gear did the same it would turn out the same cause they are great quilts. I also agree that I am seeing more YouTubers thanking sponsors in their videos and I'm not really a big fan of that but as long as they are honest and upfront I may be ok with it. I do have an eyebrow raised tho and the unsubscribe button is as easy to push as it was too subscribe. Happy trails

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chameleon/Ridgerunner/Raven
    Tarp
    OMW/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Ghost P/Ridge Reap
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just watch Schill Brothers channel and they interviewed UGQ. They said they basically didn't market until about a year ago. They have been sending to YouTube channels, so the above theory is likely right. They are growing and moving to a new shop soon.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by durunner View Post
    Just watch Schill Brothers channel and they interviewed UGQ. They said they basically didn't market until about a year ago. They have been sending to YouTube channels, so the above theory is likely right. They are growing and moving to a new shop soon.
    After watching that video I lost a bit of respect for UGQ. He basically said that after they got a bad review from Darwin (who has a substantial following) they stopped with Youtube for a while. But then in the next sentence he goes on to say they don't care if they give a bad review. If you pay attention to Youtube, you'll notice that they've changed their method in dealing with reviewrs: they've done a partnership with channels. UGQ has gone on trips, or spoke on a podcast, or let a channel come and film at their shop., etc. It's very scratch my back and I'll scratch yours, so they're not going to get a bad review now. The day the Schill video dropped, they were posting on Instagram how they just got a new Zepplin and love it. So it's best to be skeptical now.
    If you are looking to save money, then go with the Econ Line from hammock gear. Nobody beats them on price, not even UGQ. A 40 degree 800 fill quilt is substantially cheaper ($50) than UGQ, and you get a storage sack and $3 cheaper on shipping. If you're looking at premium quilts they're about the same.
    I have quilts from both vendors, and I have positives and negatives with both of them. In my opinion the quality is about equal its just a matter of preference. You'll get your fanboys saying such and such better, but when you shell out a couple of hundred dollars you will proclaim it is the best so you can justify your purchase.

I have products from both and they are both high quality. You can't go wrong with either. What I will say is that HG and probably going to be a little cheaper and get to you quicker. UGQ's lead time is around 2 months I believe whereas HG has quilts in stock or around 2 weeks for custom orders.

Images
    FWIW, Hammock Gear just launched a Valentine's sale on custom quilts. 15% off. Ends Sunday 2/16.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast