SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4

Loving this Hammock Sleeve

Just got my hammock sleeve in the mail today, but can already see that I’m going to love this new addition to my cold weather gear line up!

Set up my hammock to put it on and try it out...

...my all time favorite hammock (an SLD Trail Lair made from my all time favorite hammock fabric, Dutch’s Hexon 1.6) wearing my all time favorite under quilt (WB 20 degree Wooki).

...added my all time favorite UQP (from 2QZQ).

...threaded my new SLD hammock sleeve on over the end of my hammock. In actual use I’ll push the sleeve back more, so it’ll be fully out of the way while the hammock is in use.

...the hammock sleeve easily slid over my hammock, UQ, and UQP with plenty of room to spare. (Room enough to handle my TQ as well.)

...in this photo I rotated the bottom of the sleeve up slightly to show the thin strip of netting that runs the length of the silpoly sleeve, which allows air to be easily expelled from the sleeve when compressing it when packing up. (You can see the camo print of my UQP showing through the netted strip.)

...next I attached my new hammock double ended stuff sack (a bit larger than my hammock’s original stuff sack) onto the end of my hammock, over the hammock skin.

(This is the same double ended hammock sack that was pictured above threaded on the end of the set up hammock. It’s weird the way the fabric looks so much darker here in the shade than it did in the earlier photos.)

My hammock (with UQ and UQP still attached) was super QUICK and easy to stuff into the sack and afterwards was quick as lightening to set back up again. This is the large double ended Quick Sack from SLD (listed on the site as 7”x13”, though, by my measurements it seems closer to 7”x 15”). At any rate, it works well to hold my hammock, UQ, UQP, wrapped neatly in my hammock sleeve.

I’ve noticed on winter trips, I usually end up packing my hammock sackless so I can leave my TQ in it and my UQ and UQP attached to it...just wad it all up into my trash compactor bag backpack liner. The problem with that, though, is even though it saves tear down and set up time, it is a struggle to keep my hammock off the ground as I pull it from my backpack to rehang it and it is a bit of a trick to keep all the layers lined up nicely. Just one set up, tear down, set back up has shown me this hammock sleeve is a game changer for me! Not only are subsequent set ups during a trip going to be smoother and quicker, but, also, now I can keep my set up sleeved up for added protection when it’s going to be set up long before bedtime. Of course I’ll need to peel the sleeve back enough ahead of bedtime to allow all my down to puff back up!
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-16-2019 at 08:39.

Nice looking setup and I've got a similar setup from SLD. My sleeve is the first generation without the mesh and the new one is a huge improvement. I only use my sleeve for winter trips with a pulk, so mine gets stuffed in a big dry bag and just strapped on.

You should post a link to this review in the SLD subforum since you've got some great pictures of it in action! I've always been a huge fan of Jared and his work!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Thanks MichiganDave! I also will only be using my hammock skin when an underquilt will be in use.

I’ve not ever tried the version without the skinny strip of netting running the full length of it, but I have no doubt that having it vented with that net strip is a huge advantage when you go to compress it into a sack or into your pack. The issue with trapped air is precisely why I abandoned silnylon tarp skins in favor of mesh ones. Having that inch wide strip of mesh integrated into the silnylon hammock skin really gives you the best of both worlds—the increased protection of silnylon without the frustration of it trapping air!

And I totally agree with you about Jared of Simply Light Designs. He does meticulously beautiful work. His one piece tarp skin design is my favorite (and I’ve tried tarp skins from three other cottage vendors...yes, I have way too many tarps and they are all outfitted with mesh skins, hookworms, and titanium nails). And his Trail Lair is the most comfortable hammock I’ve ever tried (and, again, I have way too many hammocks...currently own hammocks from 5 different cottage vendors). Jared doesn’t seem to do any marketing whatsoever, but his custom products are truly a treasure and he fulfills his orders lickety-split! It’s nice not having to wait and wait! And he stands behind his work. I didn’t mean for this to be an SLD review when I started the thread...just a quick commentary on a product I had at first thought was kind of silly and pointless (hammock sleeves) but now am delighted to have...but, yeah, it has kind of wound up a review of Simply Light Designs. I’m not sure how to post a link from the SLD site to this thread though.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-17-2019 at 17:30.

Hammock
    Trail Lair/LSOH WarriorUL
    Tarp
    ManyFly's/HG WP
    Insulation
    HG/Speer/WB
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    I see you've got a Wooki on your Trail Lair. You say the Trail Lair is your favorite hammock and the Wooki is your favorite UQ, is this your favorite setup? I love the Trail Lair as well and have been strongly considering a Wooki myself. I'm a Left Lay only that rolls over onto my right shoulder and back, so I find the Asym quilt very intriguing. My only concern is if my knees will extend off of the insulated area those times I'm on my right shoulder and how to attach the Wooki to a "normal" gathered end hammock. Any trickery, hacks, or common practices I'm unaware of? Or, did all you do is add that 'biner?

Hammock
    Bearded Hanger
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    LLG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Finally got a chance to use my sleeve on my trip lthis past weekend and it was awesome! Just pull it over, unhook, and stuff into the bottom of my pack. So easy!

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Nice picts! I've also used mine when I'm away from camp in the BWCA figured it both lessened the likelihood of nosey critters and tucks things up / out of the way should weather worsen while away from camp.

It's a slick piece of gear that adds almost no weight. Well made, easy to use!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameth View Post
    I see you've got a Wooki on your Trail Lair. You say the Trail Lair is your favorite hammock and the Wooki is your favorite UQ, is this your favorite setup? I love the Trail Lair as well and have been strongly considering a Wooki myself. I'm a Left Lay only that rolls over onto my right shoulder and back, so I find the Asym quilt very intriguing. My only concern is if my knees will extend off of the insulated area those times I'm on my right shoulder and how to attach the Wooki to a "normal" gathered end hammock. Any trickery, hacks, or common practices I'm unaware of? Or, did all you do is add that 'biner?

I own 3 Blackbird XLCs, the earliest model XLC, double layer in multi-cam with custom winter top cover which I dearly loved until I picked up a used single layer XLC here on the forums that was even MORE comfortable and edged out the one I’d bought new (years earlier) as my go-to hammock and, lastly, I bought new single layer of the current models. Of these, that used original model XLC was my favorite and the one that always made it into my pack when preparing for a trip. Over the years I’ve bought and tried a number of other hammocks I heard about here, but none edged out my XLCs and I thought none ever would. But, then I bought a new Trail Lair and it was more comfortable than my favorite XLC from the first hang. It just had such a broader sweet spot. And once I sewed a netted Dutch gear loft in it, it had as much storage space as my XLC’s with those awesome wing shelves.

Likewise, I’d tried a number of underquilts, both synthetic and down and from a number of different vendors. All of which I have been pleased with. I’ve never really experienced any underquilt woes even though the majority of my camping is in the colder seasons. When WB came out with the Wooki I was dying to try it out and soon had bought one. At first I switched back to using my XLC with my then new Wooki, but missed my Trail Lair with its every which direction sweet spot. I was totally SOLD on the WOOKI, though. It was just so much less fussy getting set up and so stinking warm. So, before long, I tried it out with my Tail Lair, just hooking each end on with a mini biner. It worked beautifully. I’ve never pulled out any of my XLCs once since discovering the Wooki works great with my Trail Lair!

I’m a side sleeper too. I’ve always carried with me a thin foam sit pad that folds up pocket size that I bought off Dutch’s site years ago. I’ve never actually used it as a sit pad though. But I ALWAYS have it the gear loft of my hammock where I can easily grab it and slip it between me and the hammock if I notice a cold spot in the night. Actually, I don’t need it very often but it’s great when I do start to notice a cold knee! I’m short (4’11”), so that may be a reason the Wooki still works beautifully for me even though I’m exclusively a side sleeper? All I know is that I haven’t had a single uncomfortable moment with my Trail Lair/Wooki combination.

I also ALWAYS use an underquilt protector (from 2QZQ) or a sock (Warbonnet) with my Trail Lair/Wooki set up. The Trail Lair and the Wooki are the only hammocks/underquilts that I’ve camped in for the past two years. I’ve taken other hammocks and quilts along to loan out, but I always use the Trail Lair/Wooki myself.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-21-2019 at 12:02.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by coachhahn View Post
    Finally got a chance to use my sleeve on my trip lthis past weekend and it was awesome! Just pull it over, unhook, and stuff into the bottom of my pack. So easy!
    I know!!! I just love things that simplify my gear set up and tear down. I’m stuck on the Dutch Clip for my hammock straps because they just make set up so much simpler and less frustrating. And one by one I’ve been splurging to convert all my tarps over to Dutch hook worms because they’re so handy. And now I have a sock for my hammock which I totally didn’t NEED but man, it’s so convenient to have!!!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Nice picts! I've also used mine when I'm away from camp in the BWCA figured it both lessened the likelihood of nosey critters and tucks things up / out of the way should weather worsen while away from camp.

It's a slick piece of gear that adds almost no weight. Well made, easy to use!

DEFINITELY!!! Since I camp with dogs, it’s especially nice to be able to tuck everything up when not in use. Sometimes my huge hyper-active dog decides to run though camp ninety to nothing carrying actual tree limbs. When he has something that sticks out several feet on each side, it’s inevitable that it is going to graze my hammock as he runs past. Underquilt protectors are a godsend but do nothing to protect the upper (netted) half of my hammock. Now I have a sock that will!!! And, as you pointed out, should the weather change while I’m away, I won’t be totally sunk even if my tarp is still sleeved up.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    I haven't heard of this "sleeve" before. I'm new and currently putting together my first complete system. So, do I understand this right...the sleeve is like a huge snakeskin that wraps around your hammock AND UQ? This is what it's used for? Couldn't you skip the sleeve and just stuff it all in the stuff sack? Would the stuff sack still fit if you had a TQ in there as well? I'm doing the AT in 2028 and this looks too good to be true, to have my bed set up as soon as I get there by a removing of a stuff sack and sleeve-my UQ already attached (just needing fluffed and aligned) and my TQ dry and inside ready to go with a little fluffing up. No way. Does down just fluff up on its own btw? I've ordered my first down TQ and haven't ever tried one before so I don't know the care instructions yet.
    This is an awesome set up you have btw! I'm jealous!
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast