ENO DN but looking
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Undecided
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Hammock Camping without Trees Around

I'm a neebie here and got into hammocking to make it better, easier and lighter for going backpacking. I just saw a backpacking video of a group (tenters) that were hiking in Arches National Park, beautiful area that I'd like to try. I noticed in the video that there were next to no trees around for hammock hanging. What are others doing for hammock support in places like this..? I'm thinking I wouldn't want to lug a free-standing stand around, be too heavy and awkward for backpacking. I was thinking maybe sectional poles with 3 guyline anchor setup but maybe wouldn't be very stable though..? Any other solutions or recommendations..?

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles

Images
    Here's one reasonably lightweight option.
    https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...-carcamp-tele/

Depending on the type of ground you're anchoring to, these might work better than the orange screws that are included in the above kit.
    https://www.tensaoutdoor.com/product...round-anchors/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    Sure, but that's not hanging. That's more of a contingency plan.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    For conditions where there are no suitable trees, I use my Tensa stand. The draw back is it weighs 14 lbs. Thus, if I am back packing with no trees, the I go to ground. There are some schemes that do similar to what you describe where the pole looks like a miniature radio antenna with outriggers. Good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    If the rock is solid enough, and you can do it without causing damage, you might find places you can use rock climbing stoppers - or that technique;; old school we used to put a webbing loop around a rock that would fit in a crack. In other words, hand from two cracks in rocks that are the hammock distance apart. However, it's been years since I've been there and I recall call the rock being pretty smooth - not filled with cracks and holes like the volcanic stuff around here.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR, Amok Draumr 5
    Tarp
    MECGuid, Superfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead UQ
    Suspension
    Stock Buckles
    I suppose you could go with a pair of Tensa solos at 2.86lb per side, but I'd ground camp with an air mattress on a tyvek ground sheet under my hammock tarp.

Hammock
    ENO DN but looking
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Undecided
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    @cmc4free.. Thanks for all the input. I looked at the Tensa Solo Hammock Stands and they look like they'd be the thing to get. They only weigh in at about 2.86 lbs per side complete so it would be light enough to carry. The price isn't extremely high ($49-$125) either but it's shame though that they sell them individually and not as a pair since most people would be needing 2 anyways. Or maybe better yet use a pair of collapsible tent poles..? At least it gets you off the ground so you can lie in it like a true hammocker.

Hammock
    ENO DN but looking
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Undecided
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    @HarveyM.. Yeah for the price of 2 @ $49-$125 each and the amount of time I'd be using them, it would be cheaper just to lay on the ground. If it would be for a month or doing it frequently then maybe it would be worth the cost. Might be better and cheaper just to go your route. I think I might be doing an overkill on this when it's not really needed since it would be for only a few days at a time. Thank ya for the advice..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdnred View Post
    @cmc4free.. Thanks for all the input. I looked at the Tensa Solo Hammock Stands and they look like they'd be the thing to get. They only weigh in at about 2.86 lbs per side complete so it would be light enough to carry. The price isn't extremely high ($49-$125) either but it's shame though that they sell them individually and not as a pair since most people would be needing 2 anyways. Or maybe better yet use a pair of collapsible tent poles..? At least it gets you off the ground so you can lie in it like a true hammocker.
    Raftingtigger on the forum is one of the partners who operate Tensa Outdoor. She used to have her own website/shop where she sold an item called the NoGround trekking pole system. It's what jeff-oh was referring to in his post (or similar to it). Since she and Latherdome formed Tensa Outdoor, it seems her old site is no more, but they are in the process of reworking that NoGround trekking pole system. Especially if you hike with trekking poles, something like this would be your lightest option for getting off the ground when there are no trees to hang from.

There's a thread about it here, but I'm not sure where she stands on development or releasing this product.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...es-do-you-want

And an older thread on the original product.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Now-available

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast