Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Distance between and diameter of trees

Just wandering good rules of thumb on selecting trees. Especially distance between and safe diameter of tree. I do understand the dangers of widow makers. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    4" min. diameter, about 15' (~5 steps) apart is my guide.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Thanks a bunch. Any particular advice on species of tree or type of bark. Slick or loose bark concerns? Don’t want to damage a tree and give a bad name to hangers. By the way I use poly spider straps from Dutch.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    We have a lot of oak, elm, beech, birch and occasionally pine and cedar but I never use the evergreens around here (southern NY) although I have in Maine and the Cascades (WA)

Come to think of it, 4" diameter with pine can still be a little noodly... and there's also sap to worry about. Maybe birch as well with too much weight. When in doubt a bit more diameter, not a problem most of the time. For loose bark like on some pines, 2" huggers are a good idea... in fact required in some places.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    We have a lot of oak, elm, beech, birch and occasionally pine and cedar but I never use the evergreens around here (southern NY) although I have in Maine and the Cascades (WA)

Come to think of it, 4" diameter with pine can still be a little noodly... and there's also sap to worry about. Maybe birch as well with too much weight. When in doubt a bit more diameter, not a problem most of the time. For loose bark like on some pines, 2" huggers are a good idea... in fact required in some places.
    Makes sense. Thanks.

Hammock
    SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Remember asking about tree width to another hanger when I first started out. He said the minimum width should be at least the size of your ankles. Then he looked at my ankles, smiled, and said "I don't think I'd hang off of that".

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    For tree diameter I like a min. of around 6". The issue with min. tree diameter is deflection when you get in your hammock. Thin trees and bend on you throwing off your angles and ridgeline tension. Not a big deal just move to a new tree. For spacing I find 15' or under too close for my suspension. So I like 15' to 18' distance. I measure two ways, min 3 paces. or with my arms extended the tips of the treking poles still have a foot or so to the trees.

Also, I've gone out enough now I can pretty much gauge the right distance just by looking.

As with most hammock stuff. get out and find what works for you.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    The issue with min. tree diameter is deflection when you get in your hammock.
    Out of necessity I hung in a jack pine grove once. Probably 4" at best and they're already rubbery to begin with. 25mph wind all night with gusts up to 45mph and storms. That hammock was bouncing!! I was waiting for that zing-it to snap all night.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I use 10' hammocks and 11' tarps so that definitely should be taken into consideration.

I did a hang once with a tree distance of about 11' (Copper Lake, Cascades) and it took a bit of "field engineering" to make a gathered-end tarp!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Out of necessity I hung in a jack pine grove once. Probably 4" at best and they're already rubbery to begin with. 25mph wind all night with gusts up to 45mph and storms. That hammock was bouncing!! I was waiting for that zing-it to snap all night.
    I bet. I had the same issue at Dolly Sods last year. The best hang site was between two beautiful 15" oak trees 15' apart, right beside the river. Lovely view, gentile rumble of the water over the rocks to lull you to sleep. Problem was temps to drop to low 20's river created a constant 10 mph breeze and snow expected. I opted for the less than ideal site in the pine stand. A little bouncy but no wind chill so felt like 20 degrees warmer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast