Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

Have you used the Hammock Gear hex tarp with linelocs?

I'm looking to purchase a dyneema hex tarp and HG and Dutchware are looking like the best possibilities. I'm curious about the HG hex with linelocs, as I feel this may be a good system. Has anyone out there used this tarp? Are the linelocs on the ridgeline as well, and how does that work? Would also love any other input before I pull the trigger on a dyneema tarp. Large size is not important to me. Lightweight, reliable, easy to set up, and the ability to be pitched as a ground tarp are what's important to me. Thanks for any help.

I had HG install line locs on my 11 foot CF standard with doors. In fact, all of my tarps that I own from Simply Light Designs have them. Jared from SLD has been using them for many years.

They are simple and easy to adjust and set up. I also tie a small elastic loop around the attachment point to secure my lines to, plus add a small knot at the tightening pull end. Compared to other easily lost hardware or expensive insects, IMO, its the way to go!

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    I'm a no-hardware advocate, but for pitching close to the ground LLs are hard to beat... you can tension the full length of the guy line right down to the ground.

Michigandave makes a good point. Tie a simple overhand knot about 1.5" from the end of the line so that the end line knot doesn't get sucked into the shrouded plastic channel, which can be really annoying.

I went 'round the block with various guy lines and finally settled upon 2mm Lawson Glowire for ridge and guy lines because it fits three parameters that are important to me: 1) it holds knots/hitches extremely well, 2) it is highly tangle resistant, and 3) it is extremely visible at night... lights up like a Star Wars light saber at night, and during the day the bright color reduces tripping hazard greatly.

With a no-hardware setup, for the corners I use Blake's hitch to adjust guy lines, Prusiks on the ridge line (I use CRL) and Midshipman's hitch for the tree ends of the ridge line.

The 11' HG Hex is my favorite and most-used tarp. I find it sufficient in all but the nastiest weather, but soon I will pull out the Palace for really cold and windy weather.

HG Hex with no-hardware setup... no worries!

Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post
    Are the linelocs on the ridgeline as well, and how does that work? .

no the line locks are not on the ridge lone just the timeouts
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Have you used the Hammock Gear hex tarp with linelocs?

From everything I have read, LL3’s are not strong enough to hold the tension of a tarp ridgeline. But NAMA Claws are perfect for the tarp ridgeline. These Claws do well for all sorts of applications. The only downside to them is you need to be careful how you wrap them up and store them in your pack because they can make it a very annoying to untangle your lines because they catch on every strand of cord in your nest of tangled lines along their way out.

https://www.namagear.com/product-page/nama-claws

If you go with LL3’s as your ground ties, Lawson GloWire 2.5mm is great for them. They are the perfect diameter and are very reflective.

https://lawsonequipment.com/Reflecti...ire-p1024.html

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-2-5mm-glowire
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 11-13-2019 at 12:30.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    From everything I have read, LL3’s are not strong enough to hold the tension of a tarp ridgeline.
    Amok's Borg Multitarp has Linelocs on its ridgeline connection points. Part of the reason is that it can be pitched in 2 different ways (hence "Multitarp") - long axis as ridgeline for their Segl gathered end hammock; short axis as ridgeline for their Draumr transverse hammock. To make this simpler, all 8 of its corners have Linelocs and cordage already installed.

Can't say I've ever had that tarp out in gale force winds, but I've never had a problem losing ridgeline tension. Their included lines aren't as slick as Zing-It or similar - they're a small diameter (approx. 2-2.5mm) kernmantle cord, similar to Lawson's guywire.

Hammock
    DIY 12ft HyperD 1.6SL
    Tarp
    The Stingray DIY
    Insulation
    Incubator/Gemini
    Suspension
    UCRWhoopieCinch
    I am another advocate for the lineloc 3's. They are great with the appropriate size line and take away any fiddly-ness. If you are going for the dyneema, why not go ahead and get some doors with it?

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Custom TQ
    Suspension
    Yes
    I love Line Locks. Right now I'm using the Line Lock Hooks https://dutchwaregear.com/product/line-lock-hook/

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Be aware that linelocs come in different sizes. The ones I got from Dutchware are smaller than another supplier. I started out with figure-9's on the tarp side, but didn't like that much metal pushing into the nylon when packed way. I put the figure-9's on the guy line but they were always in the wrong place on the line at the next setup. And, because the Nite-ese reflective cord has some kind of embedded flake, the figure-9 doesn't slide easily to a new place. So now I'm trying line locs. I think they will be fine - but I wouldn't use them on the ridge line; too much tension and flex.

That's one thing to test. Something might hold fine under tension. But with gusting wind, you'll get tight/slack cycles and what to make sure your rigging will hold under those circumstances.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    Thanks for all of the tips, looks like line locks may be the way to go! Now I just have to figure out which ridgeline to install!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast