Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknowing outdoorsman View Post
    I do not own either, so I am unable to comment unfortunately.
    However, I have noticed that it seems as though you are making one of the mistakes that I made when I first started, asking tons of questions on this forum, and doing extensive research and trying to buy a perfect setup off the bat. My advice is to go out and camp with what you have. Eventually, you will figure out what changes need to be made. Also, presumably, the load would be distributed differently with those options. What I did with things like that was to do something that simulated each and see which is more comfortable if there is any noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm a researcher by nature, sorry. It's winter and I'm researching b/c I don't have the equipment to wintercamp yet. I want to be armed with knowledge to make a decent purchase in the spring. There's so many options out there and I'm just trying to understand them all so I know what I want. No way will my set up be complete when I get it, I'll continue to play with it and learn, I know that. Just trying to piece something together to buy, that's all.
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    Here’s an alternative that I have found works pretty well and can be attached to any hammock. It’s a zippered pouch designed to be hung from the inside of the peak, mimicking much of the functionality of a peak shelf. It can store a lot of things. I have tried peak shelves before and prefer this.

https://simplylightdesigns.com/products/zip-it-peak-bag
    I looked this up. Can I ask, why do you prefer this one over the mesh looking ones? Just curious.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Here are some options. I do not have a sidecar but do have a sidesling.
    Shows peak shelf and other stuff as well.
    Shug

Tx Shug! Now I have MORE options to think about...lol. Actually this was VERY helpful. I liked seeing how they actually worked, how they lay when your in the hammock...I think you sold me on the side sling and peak shelf. Tx. again!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Two hammocks have sort of their own pockets. The WarBonnet Ridge Runner has its saddle bags and the Blackbird (and variants) have that "shelf" of nylon (hammock body) and mesh (bugnet). The shelf is nice but I'm very careful about what would be pressing against the netting material. For other hammocks you have peak bag, ridge line organizers, and other pockets. Those extra storage options are essentially "gear hammocks" but of a smaller size and tied to the main hammock instead of having their separate tree.

I might use a peak bag to hold my night clothes; pj's, balaclava. Sometimes the peak bag is difficult for me to reach while lying in the hammock. So I'd use a ridge line organizer for things I'd want close by - like a flashlight. I had 2QZQ make me one sized for my iPad mini. It took a few tries because instead of relying on the tech spec size, additional size was necessary because when outdoors, it is wearing its outdoor protective case.

Recently I picked up some SLD's "gear bags" on close out. I anticipate connecting them to the hammock ridge line or a tarp ridge line if I run it under the hammock (making sure I have working water blocks on the line).

It's like this ... with backpacking you usually have one "bag". With kayak camping you can have many cylindrical bags. The usual action is to hunt for something you want in the bag, use it, then put it back in the bag. So I found myself rooting around in a pack or dry bag for the same thing; using it, putting back, ... repeat. With the gear bag, as I pull something out, it goes in easy to reach gear bag. The idea is, if I need to use it once, I'll probably use it again until it is time to pack everything up.

Is it necessary? Absolutely not. But it is handy. And that's the name of the game. Balance out "handy" with a discipline not to slipping into "excessive" or - with a HUGE kayak capacity, Kitchen-Sink-itus. To be fair, when I bring a lot of gear, it's because I'm testing various things to see what works.

That recommendation to just "get out there" is so important. There is merit in thinking it out ahead of time. But sometimes that leads to money unnecessarily spent and time stalled in mental deliberation. As you pay attention on your adventure, you will come to know things you wish you had but didn't bring, and things you brought but would not need/use. I'm not referring to a rain jacket you brought but it didn't rain. I mean "extra" stuff - to be determined by each person/season/comfort zone.

Circling back to peak bags and such - do you want to pull your toothbrush and such out of your pack and put it back when done - or, as you'll be using it a few times a day, would you want it more accessible after you initially fetch it from your pack - that's the issue. And, is it easier for you to reach in some storage area by your side (side car-isque) or reaching back over your head (peak bag if you are already in the hammock).
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I use the side car to hold a water bottle, layers of clothing to put on/off during the night and jacket. The peak shelf holds my head lamp, phone, battery charger and wallet. I had the peak shelf by itself and it worked fine, but I got tired of having to open my bugnet and grab things during the night. I just throw everything into the side car now and I don’t have to worry. Keep in mind that you need to adjust your hammock after you put all your stuff into it because the weight of you, and everything inside will adjust the lay inside your hammock.

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    Just another data point: I have a ridge runner with the saddle bags and use it often. I like the large size as I’ve put iPads and such in it ( in-house hang

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by arcana73 View Post
    I use the side car to hold a water bottle, layers of clothing to put on/off during the night and jacket. The peak shelf holds my head lamp, phone, battery charger and wallet. I had the peak shelf by itself and it worked fine, but I got tired of having to open my bugnet and grab things during the night. I just throw everything into the side car now and I don’t have to worry. Keep in mind that you need to adjust your hammock after you put all your stuff into it because the weight of you, and everything inside will adjust the lay inside your hammock.
    Yea, I think this is what I visualized after I saw Shug's video. All my bigger stuff will go in the side sling and the peak shelf will just hold my small stuff that I wont need often like keys, wallet, flashlight...Thank you for the point of adjusting my hammock AFTER I put everything in it. Point taken

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    I've got experience with the Sidecar and Peak Shelf, and I think the shelf is just a tad bit more utilitarian than the side car. My biggest problem with the sidecar is how it plays with my lay a bit, often times leaving material in my face, and if you don't have it pulled out it just dangles below you. Having the peakshelf works very well but doesn't hold nearly as much. I almost always put my pants and socks in the peak loft (at the footend), and the only problem I've had with the peak loft is that it can get a bit twisted if you have it with the gator clips instead of the chameleon hooks.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oquirrh View Post
    I've got experience with the Sidecar and Peak Shelf, and I think the shelf is just a tad bit more utilitarian than the side car. My biggest problem with the sidecar is how it plays with my lay a bit, often times leaving material in my face, and if you don't have it pulled out it just dangles below you. Having the peakshelf works very well but doesn't hold nearly as much. I almost always put my pants and socks in the peak loft (at the footend), and the only problem I've had with the peak loft is that it can get a bit twisted if you have it with the gator clips instead of the chameleon hooks.
    Are you putting the sidecar on your head side? Or the opposite side?

Hammock
    DutchWare Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    HG Econ 10° & 40°
    Suspension
    Strap
    Images
    I've had the Sidecar for my Chameleon for around a year. At first it was great, it's huge and ate all my gear no problem. I loved being able to keep my topquilt in it (by the way you can reduce its capacity if it's too big -- Dutch has a video on this on YouTube somewhere).

However, I found that unless it was practically empty, in colder weather it interfered with the set of my underquilt. After one cold and draughty night, I opted to not use it, and lo and behold no more cold. That's just my experience, yours may vary. Since then I've bought a peak shelf, which I have high hopes for, though I've not tried it out overnight yet, but I do know it will not get in the way of the setting of my underquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast