Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Here's a new item that's sort of a twist on several existing items. A little bit like a ridgeline organizer, peak shelf, gear hammock, and Dream Hammock Gear Sling... but not quite the same as any of those. (ok, it's pretty much a mini gear hammock... )

https://hammockgear.com/mesh-ridgeline-loft/

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HGUQ 10 | WBDB 20
    Suspension
    Marlin Sp. Whpies
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Are you putting the sidecar on your head side? Or the opposite side?
    Yes, I know I should probably swap that down to my foot end with the problems I've been having! lol. Another bit I forgot to note is that, at least for me, if you overload the sidecar it can start pulling the mesh a little tightly - I had the integrate bug net sidecar, so I had it near my head similar to the layout of an XLC BB - and can even lead to some mesh ripping! I've got a small hole in that integrated net now which is a real bummer, and since then have opted to use a symmetrical top cover with no problems.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oquirrh View Post
    Yes, I know I should probably swap that down to my foot end with the problems I've been having! lol. Another bit I forgot to note is that, at least for me, if you overload the sidecar it can start pulling the mesh a little tightly - I had the integrate bug net sidecar, so I had it near my head similar to the layout of an XLC BB - and can even lead to some mesh ripping! I've got a small hole in that integrated net now which is a real bummer, and since then have opted to use a symmetrical top cover with no problems.
    I'd keep it at the head END. I was wondering about which SIDE you have it on. I use mine on the head end, side opposite my head - like where the shelf is on a WBBB. Sounds like you did the same. Was just wondering if you had the Sidecar right next to your head, and if that could have been the reason for your problem.

Images
    ATGIRL - One thing I don't know if has been noted in the thread yet - while the Sidecar and Sidesling have their benefits, either of those add a fair amount of weight and bulk to the hammock system because they add 11' of zipper track with 2 rows of teeth and 2 zipper pulls. Possibly worth considering if you're planning for a thru (even though that's quite far in the future).

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    I use mesh sidecar. I put my shoes in them.. I have a fear of leaving my salty shoes on the ground at night and a critter or porky pine or whatever chewing them up or running off with tnem.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon/ WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    DW / WB
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DW Beetles/SpdrPly
    For what it's worth

I have the peak shelf, side car, and side sling all on my 1.6 standard Chameleon. I use this for car camping or when I'm just backcountry camping.

Peak Shelf: Gloves, headlight, empty stuff sacks from other items.
    Side Car: Phone, battery bank, water bottle, knife, pistol, camp shoes
    Side Sling: During the day I keep my TQ in it. At night, I put my clothes that I want to add during the night, or the ones I will put on when I get up.

I learned that adding a bunch of my gear in the side car and side sling would affect the way my hammock hangs/lays. To negate this, I placed the side car on the head end of my hammock, opposite the side I lay my head on. Also, I stake it out with (2) hook worms with shock cord on the side car end, tight enough where the full weight isn't pulling my hammock down. Same thing on the side sling, even though it's weight is much less. I always have some type of top cover on my hammock, either bug net or winter.

I love being able to unpack my pack into these "saddle bags", especially when setting up in the same camp spot for multiple nights. My remaining gear stays in my pack utilizing the Dutchware Big Carl Pack Hanging system (I love this thing).

If I was planning a thru hike, i'd go with the side sling.

YMMV. HYOH.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one."
    - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 + Sniveler
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknowing outdoorsman View Post
    I do not own either, so I am unable to comment unfortunately.
    However, I have noticed that it seems as though you are making one of the mistakes that I made when I first started, asking tons of questions on this forum, and doing extensive research and trying to buy a perfect setup off the bat. My advice is to go out and camp with what you have. Eventually, you will figure out what changes need to be made. Also, presumably, the load would be distributed differently with those options. What I did with things like that was to do something that simulated each and see which is more comfortable if there is any noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best advice I've read today.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Here's a new item that's sort of a twist on several existing items. A little bit like a ridgeline organizer, peak shelf, gear hammock, and Dream Hammock Gear Sling... but not quite the same as any of those. (ok, it's pretty much a mini gear hammock... )

https://hammockgear.com/mesh-ridgeline-loft/
    Hey that’s very similar to what I use too! I had Jared at SLD make me a custom one out of Monolite. Perfect material for it. I also had him run shock cords through the side channels (full length knotty mods, adjustable at one of the peak ends) which very much helps keep things from falling out. I wonder if HammockGear is doing that on their version too?

Coincidentally after 3 revisions, I settled on a very similar size too. Mine is same length, but 2 inches wider. I love it. I use it alongside the SLD Peak Bag I recommended earlier. I would’ve mentioned this too, but ATGirl wasn’t looking for things that hang from the ridgeline. Since I’m using an Eldorado, which has a ridgeline that is easy to reach, it super useful.

Here’s a pic of them when empty.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    I looked this up. Can I ask, why do you prefer this one over the mesh looking ones? Just curious.
    You mean the typical mesh bag hung from the inside of the peak? Well the SLD bag has more volume and it’s much easier to get into with the zipper design. You can literally put a pair of high top shoes in there! They are pretty multi purpose too. It can be relocated to suit the needs of the moment. You could hang it from the peak on the outside. It can double as a stuff sack when packing up. I use it to store all my sleeping clothes and spare socks and briefs when I pack up. At night I store my water bottle and day clothes in it so I can grab them and get dressed without having to leave my warm quilts in the morning. You can put really heavy things it it like batteries and water and it won’t affect your lay or netting whatsoever.

You don’t really even have to use a mini biner to attach it because it can fit inside it’s own loop, which allows you to larks head it onto almost anything. So I lark it to the eye loop of the ridgeline.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    20190831_162806.jpg
    Here is a picture of my chameleon hanging .. You can see the mesh side car. It does not interfere with my underquilt or my hang or my lay. Again, I don't over stuff it.. Just my shoes or boots or maybe my down jacket..
    Hanging off the head end you can see Simply Light Designs saddle bag. I use that for whatever.. Mostly put my empty pack in there when it's raining hard or snowing.
    I don't usually bring much out with me when I go, so I don't have many things to worry about it look for.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast