Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Cold Front

Anyone sleep out in the cold front last night? We got some decent snow last night.
    I slept out in the backyard with my RR and 0* Ridge reaper and 0* Ghost Pepper. Thanks George!
    I set up my Superfly low because of the wind and expected snow.
    I was toasty warm in the single digit wind chill. I did sleep with my GooseFeet socks.
    I enjoyed the gentle sound of the snow sprinkling on the tarp. Then suddenly no more sprinkle sound. I thought they said snow All night?!? So I lay there listening and waiting. After 10 minutes I hear, SWOOOSH! All the snow that settled due to the exterior pole mods came tumbling down and the pleasant sprinkling began again. This was the cycle throughout the night.
    I woke after a nice long slumber and was surprised that there didn't seem to be any wind coming through. Once I got out of the hammock I discovered that all the snow sliding off the tarp created a nice little igloo.
    Temps are supposed to get a little chillier tonight and 10" more snow. I snoozing in the backyard again tonight. Anyone else enjoying the arctic blast???
    If it gets any cold I'll have to set up the Smokehouse.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    I enjoyed the gentle sound of the snow sprinkling on the tarp. Then suddenly no more sprinkle sound. I thought they said snow All night?!? So I lay there listening and waiting. After 10 minutes I hear, SWOOOSH! All the snow that settled due to the exterior pole mods came tumbling down and the pleasant sprinkling began again.
    I went to bed early and just listened to that for about an hour. Sometimes I gave it some help

33" of snow fell in the county just to the north. I would have been stuck out there a bit longer with that!

Here near Madison Wi we hit 3* this morning. Couldn't camp because I don't have the set up yet. I pretty much have picked out the same exact set up as you. For your quilts did you go with the goose down or duck down? I can't decide if its worth the extra money for the goose. Hope fully I'll be set up for January.
    Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

It's not nearly as cold, here in balmy Toronto. I slept out until about 2:30 am. My thermometer said it was -2 °C (28 °F). Also love the sound of snow hitting the tarp, but I can't really listen to it for long, as I need ear plugs to drown out the sounds of the highway and the noisy neighbours.

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    9* was the low here and it was EPIC!! I sleep in the backyard at least 5-6 a month

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParaJosh View Post
    Here near Madison Wi we hit 3* this morning. Couldn't camp because I don't have the set up yet. I pretty much have picked out the same exact set up as you. For your quilts did you go with the goose down or duck down? I can't decide if its worth the extra money for the goose. Hope fully I'll be set up for January.
    I went with the goose down in hopes that I would need the compacting ability for hiking. Hiking still isn't an option but still hoping for physical improvements. neuropathy is a pain.....

Got down to 1* with wind chill last night. Woke up with a bit of frozen condensation but still slept like a log.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by framjam View Post
    It's not nearly as cold, here in balmy Toronto. I slept out until about 2:30 am. My thermometer said it was -2 °C (28 °F). Also love the sound of snow hitting the tarp, but I can't really listen to it for long, as I need ear plugs to drown out the sounds of the highway and the noisy neighbours.
    So, were you warm enough at 28F?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    6° this morning, 14° four hours north where I just came from. I really need to get a setup to sleep in my yard. I just don't like to being rather exposed, feels weird.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    It's a rare event when it' colder in Alabama than it is in Northern Minnesota but today was one of these times I didn't sleep out as my desire wanes when it gets this cold and there's wind. My weather station is on the left:
    cold.png

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    It's a rare event when it' colder in Alabama than it is in Northern Minnesota but today was one of these times I didn't sleep out as my desire wanes when it gets this cold and there's wind. My weather station is on the left:
    cold.png
    It got down to 17* in AL?!? That must have been Hell freezing over for you folk...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast