Thread: DWR question

DWR question

So I have two questions.
    1. I’m interested in the UGQ Bandit and the HG 20z degree TOP quilt . UGQ doesn’t use hydrophobic down. How big a deal is dwr treated down? Any other midel or brands I should consider?

2. I use a WB Ridgerunner, has anyone used a JRB Mount Washington down quilt on a ridgerunner.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeperrn View Post
    2. I use a WB Ridgerunner, has anyone used a JRB Mount Washington down quilt on a ridgerunner.
    you could looking into this for your ridgerunner: https://www.locolibregear.com/gear.h...=0&sort=normal
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    you could looking into this for your ridgerunner: https://www.locolibregear.com/gear.h...=0&sort=normal
    I would highly recommend the LocoLibre Ridgerunner quilt. It's warm, fits perfect and looks cool to boot.

As far as hydrophobic goes - get it if you can but wet down isn't very usable so if you are anticipating the possibility of getting your down wet then you should consider the synthetic route.

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    ........As far as hydrophobic goes - get it if you can but wet down isn't very usable so if you are anticipating the possibility of getting your down wet then you should consider the synthetic route.....
    My understanding is that hydrophobic treatment of down is just a gimmick. Treated down or “dry down” is a technology that was developed to decrease drying time for hotel comforters in commercial dryers. Not for the outdoor industry. DWR finishes also decrease the longevity of the down by stripping the down of its natural oils. Wet down clusters do not insulate, regardless of any coating applied to keep them dry, body heat or ambient air flow ,rather than a dryer, isn’t sufficient enough to make dry down an effective tool in keeping you dry, and therefore warm. Treated down is also more prone to clumping than untreated down, which makes it tricky to keep properly lofted and evenly distributed within a garment or sleeping bag.

Bottom line:
    Untreated down will last longer and perform better than treated down, a view shared by most leading top of the line gear manufacturers.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    From Feathered Friends, who know just a little about down

Do you use water-resistant down?

Treated down (“dry down”) is a technology that was developed to decrease drying time for hotel comforters in commercial dryers, and we very purposefully do not use it in any of our products. Besides decreasing the longevity of the high-quality down we use by stripping the down of its natural oils, we’ve also seen little real-world benefit to the use of durable water repellency (DWR) directly on the down plume. Wet down clusters do not insulate, regardless of any coating applied to keep them dry, and we’ve found that body heat or ambient air flow -- rather than a dryer-- isn’t sufficient to make dry down an effective tool in keeping you dry, and therefore warm. Treated down is also more prone to clumping than untreated down, which makes it tricky to keep properly lofted within a garment or sleeping bag. The bottom line: untreated down will last longer and perform better than treated down, a view shared by some of the field’s leading manufacturers. Because of this, it’s important to keep your down sleeping bags and garments as dry as possible, which is why all of our sleeping bags and garments use a water-repellent or waterproof fabric.

https://featheredfriends.com/pages/f...sked-questions

I have all treated quilts. It doesn't worry me, but if I had the option to do it over and choose I would go untreated.

• + New Posts