Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How warm can 0 degree underquilt go?

So I am going to be ordering my ridge runner soon and am also going to be getting an under quilt. Since I have always wanted to do the camping out at least once every month thing starting January I am going to need to start with a very low rating quilt. So if I get a 0 degree quilt how much warmer can you go until a higher temp rating would be needed? I guess what I mean is I won't be able to afford to buy multiple quilts so how long can I get away with the 0 degree? I realize that everybody is different. I tend to sleep warm however I have never slept in a hammock with UQ before.
    Thanks guys

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ParaJosh View Post
    .... I guess what I mean is I won't be able to afford to buy multiple quilts so how long can I get away with the 0 degree? I realize that everybody is different. I tend to sleep warm however I have never slept in a hammock with UQ before.
    Thanks guys
    Too subjective to say - I suggest you look at what your median December, January, February, and March temperatures shape up to be. Identify the lowest median temp in that date range and buy a quilt rated at least 10* lower and you have a starting point.
    From there experiment, preferably in your back yard or really close to home so bailing is easy. Log temps and gear and your experiences.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

I definitely plan on backyard testing. I was just wondering if I could use a 0 degree UQ when the temps warm up to 30ish degrees.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I'm comfortable in mine (top and under) in the 30's, but I'm a cold sleeper. You can get a bit larger range by venting a bit, but cbs sets in fast with the open space.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I always look at the expected low temps and then take quilts that are rated at least 10* lower than that. And ten degrees lower isn't always enough, but it's a pretty good buffer.

For example, I once went to a winter hang, and the Weather Channel and every other weather website predicted a low of 18* F. However, when I arrived at 6 pm, the low was already 13* F and by morning, it was -3* F. Am I glad I brought my 0* and 20* quilts and stacked them! There aren't always weather stations where you're going, and sometimes you'll find temps to be (as in this case) 21 degrees lower than the Weather Channel leads you to believe.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    I definitely plan on backyard testing. I was just wondering if I could use a 0 degree UQ when the temps warm up to 30ish degrees.
    Certainly. Shug talks in length about venting under quilts in this video. https://youtu.be/FMhYRJ9dxtA

To give you some perspective from my point of view - I have an underground quilts 20* Zeppelin I use for my 3 season - and my 0* Zeppelin I use in winter - combined these can take me colder than I probably should go

Hope this helps but HYOH and in MHO go for a 20* with 2-3z over stuff as your first. This will allow some moderate winter temps and I've used mine all the way up to 60* in Yosemite California with no problems provided I vented properly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    Certainly. Shug talks in length about venting under quilts in this video. https://youtu.be/FMhYRJ9dxtA

To give you some perspective from my point of view - I have an underground quilts 20* Zeppelin I use for my 3 season - and my 0* Zeppelin I use in winter - combined these can take me colder than I probably should go

Hope this helps but HYOH and in MHO go for a 20* with 2-3z over stuff as your first. This will allow some moderate winter temps and I've used mine all the way up to 60* in Yosemite California with no problems provided I vented properly.

Thanks, thats exactly what I was wondering. I might go with a 20* loco libre Ridge Reaper and just try and hit the few nights in January that it warms up a little and use it until it gets too hot in the spring.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Right on Silver surfer I’ve had that happen to me a couple of times and I’m glad I brought some extra gear the weather channels and other places never get it right
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Thanks, thats exactly what I was wondering. I might go with a 20* loco libre Ridge Reaper and just try and hit the few nights in January that it warms up a little and use it until it gets too hot in the spring.
    I always wanted to try some of George's stuff. I consider myself fortunate that I got a hold of some of Marty's gear before he passed (RIP Marty hanging from the stars)
    Out of curiosity where are you from?

Quote Originally Posted by GilligansWorld View Post
    I always wanted to try some of George's stuff. I consider myself fortunate that I got a hold of some of Marty's gear before he passed (RIP Marty hanging from the stars)
    Out of curiosity where are you from?

I am currently near Madison Wisconsin although we only moved here 2 years ago from Maine.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast