Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles

2020 MO Frozen Butt Hang!

It’s that time of the year again to plan our 2020 MO Frozen Butt Hang! The first weekend after New Years Day.

The last 3 years have been very successful with a great turnout. I’d like to keep that going.

Let’s all throw out some ideas and we can vote on the location.

One of my favorites is the Wilderness Trail Loop in Meramec State Park. It’s an easy hike for noobs and plenty of water sources available.

Butterfield Hiking Trail is also a very good place to visit. It’s about 17 miles but isn’t really for the beginner being a solid Intermediate to rough trail. There are plentiful water resources there though.

Anyone else have a favorite place to go?

Thanks-Jeremy (Br@nch)
    Last edited by Br@nch; 11-11-2019 at 21:28.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    I haven't been checking in very much lately; a busy and challenging year!! I'm definitely up for this and hope to see some of the familar faces! I like either of the two suggestions. I think the hardest part is trying to nail down a date so people can plan. Maybe the 11th and 12th of January?

Thanks for staring the thread; I think we'll need to reach out to the folks we know to spread the word!

Gideon

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
    I haven't been checking in very much lately; a busy and challenging year!! I'm definitely up for this and hope to see some of the familar faces! I like either of the two suggestions. I think the hardest part is trying to nail down a date so people can plan. Maybe the 11th and 12th of January?

Thanks for staring the thread; I think we'll need to reach out to the folks we know to spread the word!

Gideon
    Thanks for your reply Gideon!

In the past we have done the MFBH the first weekend after the new year, but we could certainly change it up if it means more people could make it.

I will send PM's to those who have participated in the past to see if we can get a head count and firm up the date as quick as possible.

I am free the first weekend after the new year (4th & 5th), but my one Saturday I have to work per month falls on January 11. I may be able to get someone to switch with me if this date works better for the majority of those interested.

If you are interested in attending, please leave a comment with your preferred date. Jan 4th & 5th or Jan 11th & 12th.

It will be here before we know it!

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    I will be there for sure; looking forward to catching up with the regulars as well as meeting some new faces. As an old retired guy, any weekend in January works for me. Venison chili anyone?

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    The dog and I are hoping to make it. Will stay tuned to find out what date is decided upon. Lots of water sources along the trail is high on my wish list!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    I will be there for sure; looking forward to catching up with the regulars as well as meeting some new faces. As an old retired guy, any weekend in January works for me. Venison chili anyone?
    Great, glad you will be able to make it!

The venison chili has been great the last 3 years, let's make it a tradition! I can bring some "fixins" to go with it if you and Mrs. Twentybelow decide to whip up a fresh batch.

I see you are free any weekend in January-- do you have any suggestions on location?

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    The dog and I are hoping to make it. Will stay tuned to find out what date is decided upon. Lots of water sources along the trail is high on my wish list!
    Hi Dublinin!

Glad to see you will try yo make it. Do you have a date preference? Or location ideas?

I agree on water choices being readily available, that weight sure adds up when you have to pack it in!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    I’m with [email protected] Venison chili hits the spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Br@nch View Post
    Hi Dublinin!

Glad to see you will try yo make it. Do you have a date preference? Or location ideas?

I agree on water choices being readily available, that weight sure adds up when you have to pack it in!
    Hauling water along for myself isn’t fun, but it isn’t horrible...but trying to haul enough in for my 105 pound beast is quite another matter! I learned on our trip up Bell Mountain that Rem consumes more than twice the water I use! He triples my water weight load. (Though, to be fair, he DOES carry his own supplies—food, water, shelter...but when he’s not having to haul his own water in, he carries some of my supplies, too...so having to bring water for him increases my pack weight even if I’m not actually hauling his water myself!)

I’d offer preferences for dates and locations if I was 99% sure I could make it this year. As it is I’m only about 70% sure so I don’t want to influence the plans. I’d feel awful if plans were made to fit my preferences (even if only in part) and then I ended up having to miss it this year. There are several issues that might preclude me coming. My husband has some out of state band gigs in January, which, if the FBH falls on one of those weekends will mean he would need to take our disabled son with him and our younger daughter (who came on the FBH 2 years ago and then announced to me at the end of the trail she was “taking a hiatus from hiking” and has declined ever since to join me on any hikes (guess we had a good five year run before I burned her out in hiking trips!), anyway, she would have to come along with me (or her dad) as I’m not keen on leaving her home alone even though she’s a senior and likely dreams of being home alone(!). The other issue is my truck has started falling apart on me. It’s in the shop now with transmission woes. Seems it has had a major repair needed every 3-4 weeks for three months running now. I hope it will finally be running well in January but at this rate, it might be being towed to the salvage yard by then! I give it about a 70/30 shot. If the truck is out of commission there’s no way I can make it to the FBH. Guess THAT’s the biggest swing factor for me.

That being said, I’ll let everyone else hammer out the plans for what works best for them time and location-wise and, then, if I can make it, I will. I will put in my preference, though, for a trail with plenty of water sources on the 70% chance I get to come this year.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Alright, for the sake of tradition (and consistency) let's plan on the first weekend after the new year. January 4th and 5th. This locks our date in so people can plan.

Now we just need to decide on where to go. I think it would be kind of nice to go to a different place each year as long as we can until we run out of new places to go. If I remember correctly, I think we have done Bell Mountain, Wilderness Trail Loop and Taum Sauk - Mina Sauk Falls.

My vote for this years FBH would be the Butterfield Hiking Trail.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Br@nch, is Butterfield Hiking Trail in Missouri or Arkansas? Can you provide details on the location? I found a Butterfield Hiking Trail in Arkansas but that's over 6.5 hr drive for me so not too likely that I could make it.

I'll plan on the 4th and the 5th!

And YES to the venision chili...please!

Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast