Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmy562 View Post
    Has anyone checked out Bell Mountain Loop Trail? Just out of curiousity. It looks pretty cool. It's more towards south central Missouri. Just a thought.
    Welcome Tmy562!

We have done the Bell Mountain Loop a couple of times. It is a nice hike, but there is very little reliable water along the trail. You'll have to carry what you need.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by AlumaTurtle View Post
    What about this?
    Lead Mine Conservation Area Jakes Creek Trail
    I read about this location and it looks nice. My All Trails app has a note stating that backpacking with primitive camping is only allowed in 2 small highly used areas.

I found this note on the website for this location:

"There are five primitive camping areas. One is for groups by special use permit only and one is only open October 1 through January 15. The main campground has 51 sites with 26 of them able to accommodate trailers. Camping is all on a first come first served basis."

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by AlumaTurtle View Post
    What about this?
    Lead Mine Conservation Area Jakes Creek Trail
    Lead Mine Conservation Area is just an hour from where I live, but I’ve never hiked there. When I worked with Home Health I had some patients in Tunas and Lead Mine and always enjoyed driving to that area, but looking online, it looks as though it is a collection of numerous small looped trails rather than one long loop, so I’m not sure that would work well for us? Also, there are three allowed camping areas but maybe no allowed wild camping? Would any of the allowed campgrounds work ok for multiple hammocks? I was going to run down there today just to see what it’s like but then saw online that it’s closed this weekend (thru the 26th) for hunting safety.

Looking online, it looks like the Butterfield Hiking Trail at Devils Den State Park is 15 miles long. Br@nch, are you familiar with this trail? Are there plenty of water sources available along the trail? It does sound like it’d be a great option if it isn’t too far for folks.
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-23-2019 at 15:25.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Lead Mine Conservation Area is just an hour from where I live, but I’ve never hiked there. When I worked with Home Health I had some patients in Tunas and Lead Mine and always enjoyed driving to that area, but looking online, it looks as though it is a collection of numerous small looped trails rather than one long loop, so I’m not sure that would work well for us? Also, there are three allowed camping areas but maybe no allowed wild camping? Would any of the allowed campgrounds work ok for multiple hammocks? I was going to run down there today just to see what it’s like but then saw online that it’s closed this weekend (thru the 26th) for hunting safety.

Looking online, it looks like the Butterfield Hiking Trail at Devils Den State Park is 15 miles long. Br@nch, are you familiar with this trail? Are there plenty of water sources available along the trail? It does sound like it’d be a great option if it isn’t too far for folks.
    Hey there. I have hiked it twice, it is actually about 17 miles in total length. The scenery is amazing with many different rock formations. Water has been plentiful both times I hiked it. 2 rivers converge along the trail and there are a few other sources of water along the way. Hiking it clockwise, the trail isn't too strenuous until the last few miles, which are steeper down hill sections.

It is one of my favorite hikes due to the scenery and water availability. Junction camp is absolutely amazing! I did a solo hike there in February of this year, 12 miles the first day, then finish it up on day 2 with 4-5 miles out (steeper down hill section).

There are also several old home sites and a cemetery to explore at the beginning of the loop.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Br@nch View Post
    Hey there. I have hiked it twice, it is actually about 17 miles in total length. The scenery is amazing with many different rock formations. Water has been plentiful both times I hiked it. 2 rivers converge along the trail and there are a few other sources of water along the way. Hiking it clockwise, the trail isn't too strenuous until the last few miles, which are steeper down hill sections.

It is one of my favorite hikes due to the scenery and water availability. Junction camp is absolutely amazing! I did a solo hike there in February of this year, 12 miles the first day, then finish it up on day 2 with 4-5 miles out (steeper down hill section).

There are also several old home sites and a cemetery to explore at the beginning of the loop.
    Ok!!! I’m sold on Butterfield!!! (But flexible.)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Broke the news to Rayna (17 yr old daughter) tonight that she will be coming on the hike with me this year. (Since her dad will be out of pocket with a band commitment she can’t opt to stay home like she did last January.) She took the news (to my surprise!) quite matter of factly. No heavy sighs. No rolling eyes. No clenched jaws. Not even a hint of dramatic resignation! Wonders never cease!

We will bring Rem (he’ll be a 3rd year veteran of the FBH!) and we may be bringing the 4 month old pup since no one will be home to take care of her—or I may board her as I plan to do with the 2 yr old GSD...depends on if she’s up to covering 17 miles by January or not.

Just heard from my younger sister and it sounds like she and her 16 year old daughter will also join us if she can get the time off work. They’ve hiked the Bell Mountain trail before and loved it (they live in St Louis) and my niece is planning to hike the AT between high school and college. But neither of them have ever used a hammock instead of a tent when hiking so that will be a new experience for them both! Fortunately I’m a gear hoarder so no problem outfitting them!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 11-23-2019 at 23:18.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Anyone have any other location ideas?

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Br@nch View Post
    It’s that time of the year again to plan our 2020 MO Frozen Butt Hang! The first weekend after New Years Day.

The last 3 years have been very successful with a great turnout. I’d like to keep that going.

Let’s all throw out some ideas and we can vote on the location.

One of my favorites is the Wilderness Trail Loop in Meramec State Park. It’s an easy hike for noobs and plenty of water sources available.

Butterfield Hiking Trail is also a very good place to visit. It’s about 17 miles but isn’t really for the beginner being a solid Intermediate to rough trail. There are plentiful water resources there though.

Anyone else have a favorite place to go?

Thanks-Jeremy (Br@nch)
    I’m planning on being there at least one of the two days. I’m open to any of the locations and agree I like the butter field trail. Not sure if I’ll bring the Great Dane pup to play with Remington though........ I’ll have to see the weather and if she’s up to 17 miles by then.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Any thoughts about Hawn SP? Awesome area, couple good Backcountry sites, one is decently large if I remember, we normally camp at one of the other unmarked sites.

Hammock
    Darien UL/Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ's
    Suspension
    Dutch speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by JessiD87 View Post
    Any thoughts about Hawn SP? Awesome area, couple good Backcountry sites, one is decently large if I remember, we normally camp at one of the other unmarked sites.

Hawn is nice, it's a short hike with outstanding water source. There's one camp that's excellent for large group hang. "if" we go there, I'd be willing to go in early to set up so we can lay clain to that spot.

Regardless, it's really time to pick a location so people can plan. Maybe a short vote/poll?

Gideon

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast