Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

IN>Deam Wilderness and MI>Fife Lake

I planned on visiting Dolly Sods for 4-5 days, but the weather looked too crazy especailly for a muddy bog. So I headed south for by usual plan B - Deam Wilderness in southern IN. I gotta say, I am finally bored of this place. I think I've seen every square inch including most of the time bushwhacking. Still, the weather was completely dry, sunny and cool. 19° the first night, then nice gradual warming with highs in the 30s and 40s.

Lunch break at the ruins.

I wasn't going to make it until Monday here since I wore it out, like I already mentioned. So I headed north which was plan C or D originally to get into some early snow...lots of snow for early February.

That brought me to Fife Lake, MI featuring part of the NCT and Fife Lake Loop. The lake effect snow always impresses me with its random, pinpoint accuracy, but this time was pretty amazing. No snow to 10"+ within a few minutes of driving. Luckily the maps were correct and I hit it just right. I parked off M-186 and headed south. Basically just some wandering for 2 days/nights. Once I saw the forecast for 12"+ more snow on the last day, I decided to head out early on my last morning...real early. Plus I wanted to get my yard cleaned up before the snow hit here. I got back to my Jeep with about 3" of fresh snow so I obviously didn't get stuck. But the 3:45 drive home was intense...taking almost 5 hours. I passed wrecks everywhere down US127 and I69 up until about 30 minutes from home. That's pretty much every winter trip to MI, though.

"Nice" and "swamp" usually don't belong in the same sentence...but...nice swamp!

Anywhere from 6-12" while hiking.

Crazy early hike out in the snow.

A trip report is rare for One-click, so this trip must have been a special one! He texted me picture from the Deam on Saturday and next time I hear back he's on the NCT. Having a plan b, c, and d in the cue is always a good thing.

Glad you made it back home in one piece and got to enjoy the snow here in Michigan! Roads are brutal here today.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    A trip report is rare for One-click, so this trip must have been a special one! He texted me picture from the Deam on Saturday and next time I hear back he's on the NCT. Having a plan b, c, and d in the cue is always a good thing.

Glad you made it back home in one piece and got to enjoy the snow here in Michigan! Roads are brutal here today.
    It wasn't at the top of my favorites by any stretch, but just two places I don't really mind "advertising". Definitely nice to get some variety in the same trip.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    You had me all the way up until you went to MI looking for snow. Snow is one of those thing that, if it happens, it happens. But, it doesn't make things more enjoyable for me. Still looked like a decent time out hanging.
    Oooh, shiney! What does THIS button do?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
    You had me all the way up until you went to MI looking for snow. Snow is one of those thing that, if it happens, it happens. But, it doesn't make things more enjoyable for me. Still looked like a decent time out hanging.
    Haha! After the past few winters being weak, I had to take advantage now.

One thing I'll add: I pitched my Superfly really low the last evening, almost touching the ground. I figured I would have a quasi hottent for a couple hours to warm up then set up higher later for the hammock. Turns out it was high enough for the hammock afterall. But before setting that up, I just sat on my stool inside and ran my jetboil on low to warm up. That was amazing!!! It didn't put out enough moisture to matter and I didn't cook inside, so everything stayed dry. Really nice after a long day snowshoeing to get out of the wind.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Closed National Parks, Fire bans, bushfires & smoke filled skies down here at the moment...so I kinda like the cool, cosy hang sites & snow covered ground pics.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Hammock
    Hammeck netty & NX-270
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 40*
    Suspension
    Whoopy-Slings
    Nice trip! I'm from Indiana and have not done any of the Knobstone trail yet. Maybe next summer. You can never go wrong in Michigan! LOL

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I was on the NCT at the Old US 131 campground Thursday through Monday. Arrived with 4 inches of snow, got a foot that night, Friday night a low of 4 degrees. Gave me a chance to test out the new 0 degree incubator. Like a champ. Left Monday with another 8-12 forecast and saw 17 slide offs on 131 between Cadillac and GR. Glad you made it safe. Winter camping is challenging and exhilarating all at once.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I was on the NCT at the Old US 131 campground Thursday through Monday. Arrived with 4 inches of snow, got a foot that night, Friday night a low of 4 degrees. Gave me a chance to test out the new 0 degree incubator. Like a champ. Left Monday with another 8-12 forecast and saw 17 slide offs on 131 between Cadillac and GR. Glad you made it safe. Winter camping is challenging and exhilarating all at once.
    Yeah I decided to skip most of 131 and take M-115 to 127 instead. I don't think it mattered. Highway patrol and tow trucks every 10 minutes!

When hiking out 4am Monday I think I sweat more at 19° than I did all summer. Never be afraid to dress lightly when snowshoeing!

Nice winter action already! Heading back up next weekend for more.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the trip report. Always enjoyable to read about places that are outside my driving area.
    I have seen many long standing chimneys. If I ever hit the lottery I'm going to build a house entirely out of chimney to have an indestructible home.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast