DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

Looking for a new Tarp!

I haven't been on here in a while but I'm finally going to invest in a new tarp. For reference, my old tarp is a 10' OES made out of Spinnaker! I had a continuous ridgeline with Dutch fly and hook and Speers no tangle guy lines with figure 9s attached to my stakes. This system has done me well for many miles and years...

But I'm looking for a better tarp. Dyneema, probably Hammock Gear or Dutch. Cost isn't really an issue. While researching I found that my system is kind of outdated. So looking for suggestions on ridgelines and staking methods. I live out west now so trying off to rocks is more prevelant than staking, although I'll carry stakes.

Leaning towards an 11ft Hammock Gear Hex with linelocs. Let me know what you all think!

DHT

Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trucker View Post
    ...finally going to invest in a new tarp...Leaning towards an 11ft Hammock Gear Hex with linelocs. Let me know what you all think!
    Several folks I've hiked with have HG DCF tarps and speak highly of them, but if you're open to other fabrics than DCF, I've been happy with my Hammock Gear Quest tarp. I've got the 12 foot ridgeline version.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    FYI.. Dutch having a sale in honor of Veterans day.. 11 - 17. I believe some tarps are included.

Images
    Not speaking from direct experience because I have the Palace, but I've gotten the impression that some of the members here who have the HG standard DCF Hex are a bit unhappy with the coverage due to the width of the tarp.

So many options for ridgeline and tensioning the guylines. There's no correct answer about what's best. FWIW, I'll share the ridgeline setups I've been using lately.

For CRL - Autumn Ultralight Button Knot and Toggle Ridgeline (this is a complete system)
    https://www.autumnultralight.com/pro...with-namaclaws

For split ridge ties - 2x Dutch Stingerz with 12' Lash-It
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/stingerz/

For the guylines, if you want to go with Linelocs on the tarp, that will take care of the tensioning aspect. A popular cord to use with those is Lawson Glowire, and the 2.5mm version was designed specifically to work with Lineloc3's. Zing-It or Lash-It will work, but are more likely to slip when winds are gusting.
    https://lawsonequipment.com/Reflecti...ire-p1024.html

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    May I add.. I also have and use hammock gear standard DCF tarp, without doors.. I have had no problems with coverage and have used it in some windy snow and rain storms up in the Catskills. That being said.. The palace tarp with doors is just that.. A palace with doors!! Remarkable coverage with no worries and plenty of room to stand under outside your hammock. 20191024_151909.jpg 20191024_151940.jpg 20191024_151923.jpg. Some pics of my palace tarp and hammock

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    20190825_063656.jpg
    This may help reference the 2 sizes a little bit. It's the HG DCF palace tarp with doors and in the back is my HG standard DCF with no doors. Hope that helps a little. Also, I use line locs and love them.. They work perfectly for me every time.

Images
    Judging by your photos, I really don't see why the width of the standard would be a problem. I just know I've read some threads where owners of that tarp were unhappy with the coverage and wished they'd bought the Palace instead. The coverage looks pretty reasonable to me though.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    20180303_175418.jpg
    Another shot of the standard tarp.. You can see the difference in coverage from the palace.. I forgot to mention, I use Dutch stingers on my ridgelines for all the tarps.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Judging by your photos, I really don't see why the width of the standard would be a problem. I just know I've read some threads where owners of that tarp were unhappy with the coverage and wished they'd bought the Palace instead. The coverage looks pretty reasonable to me though.
    I think it is suffice.. But like I said the palace coverage is so much more so perhaps some people want that added security. Also when pitching the standard in nasty conditions you have to be a little more cautious where as the palace.. Well you can keep it a little higher pitched for more standing room..

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Before we can recommend a replacement, what about your current tarp needs improvement? The ridge line, at 10 ft, seems a little short. I like lots of coverage myself. But it doesn't come without some costs - weight, bulk, tussle with the wind, etc.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast