Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Just like Soul Embrace stated, the snakeskin I would recommend is mesh. Early on, some companies made Snakeskins out of dyneema, that ended up holding in moisture. The bag the tarp is stored can be made of dyneema or nylon materials. Not showing ignorance at all, it is a lot to consider when Hammocking but that’s half the fun. Although snakeskins can come in two parts, I would recommend a single skin for a Thru Hike. Easier in windy conditions and no bunch up in the middle when rolling and packing up.
    Perfect..single skin it is. Thank you for being understanding. I feel bad asking so many questions and sometimes I feel as if some of the community here is shaming me for asking so many questions, telling me over and over I need to just go out and use the gear. I completely agree with that, but I'm trying to make smart first purchases, KNOWING some of it won't work and I'll change my mind. But This is an expensive hobby and if I can make informed decisions I may be able to save some hassal of rebuying MOST of my gear b/c I WASN'T informed. As soon as winter is over I will begin testing all the gear I'm collecting over the winter here. So thanks to everyone who is helping me begin this journey with an understanding, beginners ear. One day I will be able to repay by helping the next newbie.
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    20181024_172037.jpg
    Hammock Gear DCF tarp in the mesh snakeskin, single piece..

Note ATgirl.. the mesh side car hanging.. this picture my down jacket is in it.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtbaghiker View Post
    20181024_172037.jpg
    Hammock Gear DCF tarp in the mesh snakeskin, single piece..

Note ATgirl.. the mesh side car hanging.. this picture my down jacket is in it.
    This is killing me! I WANT TO HANG!!! This is a nice set up! Tx for sharing!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I don't think anyone was trying to "shame"; I think "encourage" was more the intent. Though research is a responsible endeavor, there comes a point where "doing" is the next step in learning. If people seem to be suggesting you start trying stuff, it's probably an acknowledgement that "you've done your homework".

You are seeing an evolution in the answers. For example, amazing but true, there was a time before snake skins. I lost the battle twice - unable to string up a tarp in high wind. Then I finally figured out I needed to add an 8 inch extension to the ends of my tarp so I'd have a line, coming out of the tapered end of the skin, to attach the suspension and have a place to slide the skin.

Once I saw how well that worked in the wind, I could see that a single skin would be easier to manage then the double. Then I noticed that when I put the wet tarp in the nylon skins, the interior of the skin was wet. And areas that are wet AND dark are prone to cootie growth. So I've put the nylon skins on day small "day hike" tarps and use mesh on main camping tarps.

The point is - I read about those choices many times. But it wasn't until I was out in the wind, out in the rain, that the wisdom/purpose/adjustment became clear for me. Suggesting that it's time to complement your research with practice/experience is a ... compliment.

Dirtbaghiker's setup (photo) is surely inspiring.

If you have an indoor space to set up a hammock/tarp - just for practice - I'm guessing that by next spring your ground dweller friends will be amazed as you spot two trees and rig your hammock and tarp before they've finished clearing the pine cones out of their chosen area. And that drink has a very sweet flavor.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I don't think anyone was trying to "shame"; I think "encourage" was more the intent. Though research is a responsible endeavor, there comes a point where "doing" is the next step in learning. If people seem to be suggesting you start trying stuff, it's probably an acknowledgement that "you've done your homework".

If you have an indoor space to set up a hammock/tarp - just for practice - I'm guessing that by next spring your ground dweller friends will be amazed as you spot two trees and rig your hammock and tarp before they've finished clearing the pine cones out of their chosen area. And that drink has a very sweet flavor.
    Point taken. Thank you. You're right. They may very well be just complimenting my research, your right.
    I have thought and thought about places to hang inside, trust me! I'd do it in a heartbeat! We have three teenage boys, a chinchilla, a dog, 2 birds and a gerbil...there's not much room for ANYTHING! Lol! But I just saw a pic of someone with their rig in their garage.....aaahhh...now my wheels are turning again...I could totally do that! Just throw a car outside...Oh man, I'm getting excited just thinking about it! I just have to find someone who knows how to set me up to hang. We can't so much as hang a shelf let alone find studs to hang a hammock! But don't think I'm not on the hunt! I think I saw dutch or someone had wall hangers. I might just order those and then just find someone who knows what they're doing hang those up for me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    Point taken. Thank you. You're right. They may very well be just complimenting my research, your right.
    I have thought and thought about places to hang inside, trust me! I'd do it in a heartbeat! We have three teenage boys, a chinchilla, a dog, 2 birds and a gerbil...there's not much room for ANYTHING! Lol! But I just saw a pic of someone with their rig in their garage.....aaahhh...now my wheels are turning again...I could totally do that! Just throw a car outside...Oh man, I'm getting excited just thinking about it! I just have to find someone who knows how to set me up to hang. We can't so much as hang a shelf let alone find studs to hang a hammock! But don't think I'm not on the hunt! I think I saw dutch or someone had wall hangers. I might just order those and then just find someone who knows what they're doing hang those up for me.
    Check out the DIY Tensahedron stand thread!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chamelion X3
    Tarp
    HG winter Palace
    I have a HG 11'DCF winter palace and a one piece mesh snakeskin with DCF ends to store my zing it. love that set up

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I can appreciate that your car may object to being subjected to winter temperatures were it expected to spend the nights outside. I wasn't going so far as to suggest displacing the automobile to make room for sleeping as I was considering just moving the car outside while practicing setting up the hammock/tarp between two connecting points in the garage. Things that can be accomplished are finding the best distance - for you and a specific hammock - to give the right sag. Then you can make a ridge line that length so "in the wild" you can quickly set the hang angle for that hammock end-to-end distance. Note that a structural Ridge line (SRL) is made of small (diameter) Amsteel or Dyneema and is strong enough to hold a person. But other cord will work just as a measuring device - hanging so it is just approaching "taut" without undue stress.

You can play with raising the foot end of the hammock a little higher than the head end to minimize sliding down to the foot end by morning. You can play with the tarp arrangement and see if you want to keep guy lines on the tarp or keep them separate; if you want to adjust them with line locs, TautLine hitch (or other knots), Figure-9's or other hardware. You can play with snake skins vs double ended stuff sack - both for tarp or hammock.

You can play with hiking poles so they aid in distance measurements - what length setting so if you stand with a pole in each outstretched arm, the points/ends would be just the distance that would be ideal for your hang.

In other words, a temporary indoor ('cause, you know, winter) play area.

I would feel real bad if I knew I was somewhat responsible for your car, anticipating a somewhat sheltered winter in the garage, found itself relegated to freezing nights in your driveway.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    I would feel real bad if I knew I was somewhat responsible for your car, anticipating a somewhat sheltered winter in the garage, found itself relegated to freezing nights in your driveway.[/QUOTE]

Lol! I'm married, so I'm only "allowed" to sleep out once or twice a week, so my car won't suffer, I promise!

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    20191111_203015.jpg
    Make a portable stand from black pipe

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast