Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    Great idea. we are on the road to doing AT in 2028 and there is A LOT of rain, so mesh will probably be better. Thanks!
    hammock gear doesn't make the DCF snakeskins anymore so here is the link to their mesh ones: https://hammockgear.com/mesh-tarp-sleeve/

Simply Light Designs also makes snake skins and you can either get a one piece or two piece skins from simply light designs. with the simply light designs ones you can chose the material, length, width and if you want pockets sewn in to store your ridgelines (the pockets come in real handy) and tie outs.

single snakeskin from SLD: https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...kin-stuff-sack
    2 piece snakeskin from SLD: https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...arp-stuff-sack
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Images
    Where do you get the DCF snakeskin? Does it come with the tarp? I'm buying the tarp next month and I definitely need a snakeskin.
    Great idea. we are on the road to doing AT in 2028 and there is A LOT of rain, so mesh will probably be better. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    hammock gear doesn't make the DCF snakeskins anymore so here is the link to their mesh ones: https://hammockgear.com/mesh-tarp-sleeve/

Simply Light Designs also makes snake skins and you can either get a one piece or two piece skins from simply light designs. with the simply light designs ones you can chose the material, length, width and if you want pockets sewn in to store your ridgelines (the pockets come in real handy) and tie outs.

single snakeskin from SLD: https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...kin-stuff-sack
    2 piece snakeskin from SLD: https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...arp-stuff-sack
    ATGIRL, you didn't mention which DCF tarp you're buying, but if you're getting the Palace and if you order one of these skins from SLD, I'd recommend choosing the Wide option.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Where do you get the DCF snakeskin? Does it come with the tarp? I'm buying the tarp next month and I definitely need a snakeskin.
    Nope, don't come with the tarp. Get them from Dutch or HG.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    ATGIRL, you didn't mention which DCF tarp you're buying, but if you're getting the Palace and if you order one of these skins from SLD, I'd recommend choosing the Wide option.
    I am getting the HG dynema tarp with doors, so I tend to think the SLD wide snakeskins sounds like a good option. Is there a downfall to getting wide skins? I would think it would be a great option, easier to slide them on?
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Images
    I am getting the HG dynema tarp with doors, so I tend to think the SLD wide snakeskins sounds like a good option. Is there a downfall to getting wide skins? I would think it would be a great option, easier to slide them on?
    For me, the jury is out on whether I really like using the sleeves or appreciate their benefits, but that's another topic. I have a few tarps too many, and I have 2 different sleeves:

- HG mesh 12' (one piece)
    - SLD mesh 11' wide (one piece) - This one I bought specifically for the HG DCF Palace.

The wide one really isn't a great deal wider, so there's probably not a lot of downside in my opinion. I picked that one up on the recommendation that the Palace would be too tight a squeeze in the standard width. Ironically, I've never actually checked the fit of the HG mesh sleeve with the HG DCF Palace.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    A dyneema Stuff sac came with my HG Palace Tarp. I purchased dyneema skins at that time, thinking weight savings. Saw many comparison videos and the weight was equal with mesh and moisture was an issue when using the dyneema skins. I switched to the mesh and hung on to the dyneema, however, I have never gone back to them after using mesh on my 2018 Thru Hike. (Probably why HG no longer carries them). I also forgo the Stuff sac on trips and only use the DCF Sac for home storage and protection. Again, simply roll the mesh skin Palace tarp and store in the binding on the side of the backpack is the method that worked best for me.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It's not so much that mesh allows the tarp to dry faster - it's rolled up inside after all. It's that the mesh itself dries faster and gets mold inhibiting sunshine throughout. The first time I used HH snake skins, we had some rain. once I put the tarp in the snake skins, the inside of the skin was wet. When I got home, I could easily lay the tarp in the sun to dry, but I also wanted the wet inside of the skin to see daylight instead of being dark and wet. So I turned them inside out. As I fussed with that chore, I decided my next skins would be mesh.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    A dyneema Stuff sac came with my HG Palace Tarp. I purchased dyneema skins at that time, thinking weight savings. Saw many comparison videos and the weight was equal with mesh and moisture was an issue when using the dyneema skins. I switched to the mesh and hung on to the dyneema, however, I have never gone back to them after using mesh on my 2018 Thru Hike. (Probably why HG no longer carries them). I also forgo the Stuff sac on trips and only use the DCF Sac for home storage and protection. Again, simply roll the mesh skin Palace tarp and store in the binding on the side of the backpack is the method that worked best for me.
    I'm showing my ignorance here with no shame...but r u saying the snakeskin is mesh or the bag you store it in is mesh? I've never seen mesh snakeskins, but that would completely make sense b/c the inside of the skins will get wet and moldy for sure.
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I've never seen mesh snakeskins, but that would completely make sense b/c the inside of the skins will get wet and moldy for sure.

mesh snakeskins: https://www.simplylightdesigns.com/c...kin-stuff-sack

he also makes 2 piece snakeskins also
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm showing my ignorance here with no shame...but r u saying the snakeskin is mesh or the bag you store it in is mesh? I've never seen mesh snakeskins, but that would completely make sense b/c the inside of the skins will get wet and moldy for sure.
    Just like Soul Embrace stated, the snakeskin I would recommend is mesh. Early on, some companies made Snakeskins out of dyneema, that ended up holding in moisture. The bag the tarp is stored can be made of dyneema or nylon materials. Not showing ignorance at all, it is a lot to consider when Hammocking but that’s half the fun. Although snakeskins can come in two parts, I would recommend a single skin for a Thru Hike. Easier in windy conditions and no bunch up in the middle when rolling and packing up.
    "gbolt" on the Trail
    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!
    YouTubeChannel. [https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA]

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast