Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I have 3 LLG quilts, but this is the only one I have pics of. The other 2 are a 50° set from the Operator series.

-20° Carolina Reaper: 900FP +3oz, Black Argon 90 outer with orange stitching, Burnt Orange Argon 67 inner with black stitching, orange grosgrain trim. It's a hefty quilt, to be sure. Almost time to bring it out for the season!

That's a beauty! I'm ordering my underquilt tomorrow while I wait for the topquilt. I'll get a 900 fill with 2 extra oz. of fill in a 0 degree bag. Will the extra ounces bring it to below zero I assume? Maybe -10?
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    That's a beauty! I'm ordering my underquilt tomorrow while I wait for the topquilt. I'll get a 900 fill with 2 extra oz. of fill in a 0 degree bag. Will the extra ounces bring it to below zero I assume? Maybe -10?
    I think I remember reading that each ounce of down equals about 5 degrees extra so if that's true then a 0 degree with an extra 2 ounce should be around -10 degree
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    I personally don't think so. The temp rating is mostly a function of the loft (thickness) of the quilt, which is determined by the fabric shells and the mesh baffles that form the tubes the down is stuffed into. When more down is added, the quilt shell still has the same baffles, so the extra fill doesn't change the loft height - assuming the standard amount of fill is adequate to fully loft the baffles in the first place. The cottage vendors here are generally all known for being generous with the down, even without overstuff.

What adding extra down will do is make the quilt more resilient to a couple of the factors that can reduce loft in less than ideal conditions, i.e. real-world conditions. One of those factors is down migration, where the down shifts inside the baffle tubes, resulting in heavier concentration of down in some areas leaving other areas with lesser fill (reducing loft in those spots). Another is reduced loft overall due to the quilt taking on moisture over the course of a multi day trip or prolonged exposure to body oils, for example. Having more down in the quilt provides a greater buffer against these factors.

So IMHO, adding overstuff is not about making the quilt a lower temp rating; it's more like insurance to preserve the rating that the quilt had in the first place, which is based on the cut of its fabric determining the height of its baffles.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-14-2019 at 19:00.

Hammock
    11' Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I personally don't think so. The temp rating is mostly a function of the loft (thickness) of the quilt, which is determined by the fabric shells and the mesh baffles that form the tubes the down is stuffed into. When more down is added, the quilt shell still has the same baffles, so the extra fill doesn't change the loft height - assuming the standard amount of fill is adequate to fully loft the baffles in the first place. The cottage vendors here are generally all known for being generous with the down, even without overstuff.

What adding extra down will do is make the quilt more resilient to a couple of the factors that can reduce loft in less than ideal conditions, i.e. real-world conditions. One of those factors is down migration, where the down shifts inside the baffle tubes, resulting in heavier concentration of down in some areas leaving other areas with lesser fill (reducing loft in those spots). Another is reduced loft overall due to the quilt taking on moisture over the course of a multi day trip or prolonged exposure to body oils, for example. Having more down in the quilt provides a greater buffer against these factors.

So IMHO, adding overstuff is not about making the quilt a lower temp rating; it's more like insurance to preserve the rating that the quilt had in the first place, which is based on the cut of its fabric determining the height of its baffles.
    What he said

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Quilts and pads
    Images
    I got the extra down for those above reasons myself not for extra temp really. In addition i stack quilts in deep winter so i wanted a little more resistance against compression because my over quilt is not oversized. I end up in bad weather more often than I like to admit. Lets just say I made it rain in the Grand Canyon the one day we hiked....

If i was given an obvious trail name it would likely be rain man or something to do with rain. I cant remember the last trip i was on that rain wasnt involved.
    Last edited by Lamboy; 11-16-2019 at 06:12.

I'm going to be ordering a ridge reaper in the next week or two. I'm hoping there will be a black Friday sale. Not that I want to short change em just that it will leave me more savings towards a top quilt from them. Looks like fantastic gear!
    Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

Medicpathetic, I ordered a Carolina Reaper on October 28th as well. We should be getting close.

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumblebum66 View Post
    Medicpathetic, I ordered a Carolina Reaper on October 28th as well. We should be getting close.
    Yep. About another week or so for mine.
    "...films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult." - George Orwell

Hammock
    WBRR, DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Quilts and pads
    Images
    She came in today. It is awesome and such fine work! Stitches are so straight and consistent. The overall quality is awesome. It will fit perfectly as part of my cold weather system and deep winter layered quilt setup.

B4030612-FB1F-4801-B698-D9F295DF01FD.jpg
    1047A864-7C92-40FE-9C81-706367AF073A.jpg
    5E590B58-2B51-430F-B2D2-48513D616884.jpg
    80982D86-61F7-40F9-AE52-A1CA62E6BE15.jpg
    AE0C2F99-8803-4049-8F4A-AD3283C84364.jpg

Hammock
    Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    atlas xl straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumblebum66 View Post
    Hahaha.. I just noticed your profile pic. I LOVE IT!
    "...films, football, beer and above all, gambling filled up the horizon of their minds. To keep them in control was not difficult." - George Orwell

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast