Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gracon View Post
    Thanks for the detailed tips BillyBob, I think more adjustment is required. I do have the cinches at either end of the incubator and I had them cinched but not too tight. Feels like the primary is the key to this. Looking forward to getting it right and feeling toasty! I will report back here when that happens (or doesn't)
    Please do! I bet the primary is the key! Looking forward to hearing about your warm back!

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gracon View Post
    Hello folks,

This weekend I got out for a hang using my new 20 deg (short) Incubator. Got down to only about 3C (37F) and woke up with cold back, reaching between the hammock and UQ I could definitely feel a gap. Based on what I've been reading in this thread, I'm thinking I need to shorten my primary suspension a little bit, like maybe 30cm? Does my UQ look too low to you? (1st pic, no UQ installed)

Attachment 188085Attachment 188086

thanks,
    Alex
    What's the length of your hammock?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Gracon, I don’t know if that’s the Shug’s video where he recommends that the UQ should be so tight that it lifts the hammock when you are not in it. HG’s hammocks have a differential cut - meaning the bottom of the UQ is cut fuller than the top so you can snug it right up to the hammock bottom without worrying about compressing the down/loft.

You have three “settings” (bungee adjustments) at the UQ ends; a primary, a secondary, and one that closes the end. I believe the current thought on “closing the end” is to keep it loose. That’s because, though it looks shut when no one is in the hammock, when you are in the hammock with a diagonal lie, your feet/head push out on the sides a little and if the end is cinched tight, a gap can form behind it. Keeping them loose allows the ends to “form fit” with the hammock shape.

If you need more lift - usually only needed (if at all) on the foot end - you can run a line from the UQ side, over the hammock ridgeline and connect to the other side of the UQ. You can run bungee through a mini-biner on the ridgeline to provide a little more “direct up” lift,

Also, A UQP can help, especially if you don’t have a volunteer to lie in the hammock as you make/check UQ adjustments. I use one because I’m often switching hammocks and UQ’s and it allows me to be less precise in that end area adjustment, along with other benefits.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Quest
    Insulation
    Bandit/Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    What's the length of your hammock?
    11ft WB Eldorado

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Ok, thats what I thought it was but wasn't sure. I have a regular Incubator but I would imagine the suspension is the same length for all 3 sizes.

My issue with using the HG uq's on my Eldorado over my DW hammocks is that WB has you higher up on the head end, so I have to play around with the secondary suspension (the one that adjusts it laterally along the body of the hammock) to slide the uq closer to the head end. Not so much with the Incubator, but definitely with a Phoenix.

However, in your 2nd pic it really looks like the uq is high up on the head end but has a large gap between the hammock and uq. I can see there's a bunch of gear towards the foot end, so maybe thats whats skewing it. If you don't have someone to help you, maybe set your phone to record video and place it to get a view of whats going when you're in the hammock.

It could be combo of the all three adjustments to close the gap. Shortening the primary will lift it some, but it doesn't really change the hang angle for the quilt. Since you're not using the bugnet, try attaching a carabiner to the ridgeline and run the primary suspension through it to lift up the uq. Not a good solution when you use the bugnet, but if that works maybe look at something like Dutch's ridgeline quilt hooks or AHE's triangle thingies that work over the bugnet. Even a length of shock cord with mitten hooks on both ends could work.

https://dutchwaregear.com/product/ri...e-quilt-hooks/

https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...eThingies.html

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Quest
    Insulation
    Bandit/Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Good advice, esp interested in how much a UQP might benefit, a lot of the campsites I've been to recently have been breezy to say the least
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Gracon, I don’t know if that’s the Shug’s video where he recommends that the UQ should be so tight that it lifts the hammock when you are not in it. HG’s hammocks have a differential cut - meaning the bottom of the UQ is cut fuller than the top so you can snug it right up to the hammock bottom without worrying about compressing the down/loft.

You have three “settings” (bungee adjustments) at the UQ ends; a primary, a secondary, and one that closes the end. I believe the current thought on “closing the end” is to keep it loose. That’s because, though it looks shut when no one is in the hammock, when you are in the hammock with a diagonal lie, your feet/head push out on the sides a little and if the end is cinched tight, a gap can form behind it. Keeping them loose allows the ends to “form fit” with the hammock shape.

If you need more lift - usually only needed (if at all) on the foot end - you can run a line from the UQ side, over the hammock ridgeline and connect to the other side of the UQ. You can run bungee through a mini-biner on the ridgeline to provide a little more “direct up” lift,

Also, A UQP can help, especially if you don’t have a volunteer to lie in the hammock as you make/check UQ adjustments. I use one because I’m often switching hammocks and UQ’s and it allows me to be less precise in that end area adjustment, along with other benefits.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Quest
    Insulation
    Bandit/Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Went down to the park today to test with the shortened primary - was much better, felt instant warmth on the back and behind. Not the best hang, trees were inconveniently distant from one another but whatever, UQ felt warm!

IMG_1167.JPEGIMG_1169.JPEG

My 40 deg Phoenix arrived this morning, so I strung that up on the same hammock to get a comparison - seems like this needs to go lower, but felt good and warm too

IMG_1165.JPEG

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    There are a few advanages to a UQP - with the disadvantage of more gear, more weight, more bulk. But for some, it’s worth it. If you set it up and it seems short - as it might on a longer hammock - remember that its job is to cover the UQ, not necessarily the whole hammock. Essentially it seems to make your setup less critical. It will offer protection from a wind shift without having to reset the tarp. It keeps the UQ dryer with blowing rain, and it keeps it cleaner when the hammock suspension slips out of your hand if you make an adjustment with the UQ attached. Because it covers the end of the UQ, it makes up for a less than perfect UQ-hammock setup. Note it is not as good as a “right on” setup. It’s just not as bad if you don’t dial the UQ setup perfectly. Also, because it is another wind-block layer, it keeps things a bit warmer - perhaps allowing your 3-season UQ to extend further into late fall.

Remember, you don’t want it waterproof (if that’s an option). You want it breathable to reduce condensation issues. They seem a bit more expensive these days - compared to when I bought my from 2QZQ (B.D. - before Dutchware absorbed them).

Some poeple, “… don’t leave home without it.” Some people feel it’s just unnecessary gear. It’s a wide world; room for everybody.

Considering my “… room for everybody” and BillyBob58’s comments below - yes, you can get it with a waterproof fabic if you are a member of VBA, “My name is BillyBob58 and I use a VaperBarrier …”.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 03-30-2022 at 17:06.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    There are a few advanages to a UQP - with the disadvantage of more gear, more weight, more bulk. But for some, it’s worth it. If you set it up and it seems short - as it might on a longer hammock - remember that its job is to cover the UQ, not necessarily the whole hammock. Essentially it seems to make your setup less critical. It will offer protection from a wind shift without having to reset the tarp. It keeps the UQ dryer with blowing rain, and it keeps it cleaner when the hammock suspension slips out of your hand if you make an adjustment with the UQ attached. Because it covers the end of the UQ, it makes up for a less than perfect UQ-hammock setup. Note it is not as good and a “right on” setup. It’s just not as bad if you don’t dial the UQ setup perfectly. Also, because it is another wind-block layer, it keeps things a bit warmer - perhaps allowing your 3-season UQ to extend further into late fall.

Remember, you don’t want it waterproof (if that’s an option). You want it breathable to reduce condensation issues. They seem a bit more expensive these days - compared to when I bought my from 2QZQ (B.D. - before Dutchware absorbed them).

Some poeple, “… don’t leave home without it.” Some people feel it’s just unnecessary gear. It’s a wide world; room for everybody.
    Ditto, and also:
    Pros:
    1: Allows the use of a smaller, lighter, less voluminous and less expensive tarp WHILE STILL providing as much UQ protection as the larger tarp, and without being concerned with wind direction change during the night.
    2: Allows a tarp free night on clear, dry but windy nights
    Cons:
    1: If used with a smaller tarp, while UQ protection remains as good or better, it does NOT provide provide as much living space while not in the hammock, and especially not as much space for visitors, as the larger tarp would. I have had visitors, especially from my tent dwelling buddies, after being trapped for a long time inside a tent. Or simply coming over for a visit during a light drizzle. Pros and Cons.

I have used a waterproof/vapor barrier(VB) UQP ( or equivalent ) with good success before.

1: One was the sil-nylon under cover of my HH Super Shelter. But, the reason this did not cause me any condensation issues is because I used another VB either in the form of a space blanket, VB clothing, or both, on the warm side of all or most insulation. However, admittedly most folks are not going to want or be willing to go this route( i.e. VBs).

2: The other one I have used is the WB combo poncho/UQP for the WB Ridge Runner bridge hammock. I had no issues with this used without additional inside VBs, but, it did fit loose under my not so thick AHE synthetic UQ designed for the WBRR. I'm not sure if it would be loose enough for no contact with my thicker down quilts or not. (If so, I would probably add some form of inner VB, like with my HHSS). It also had a drain hole at the low point, which was the Poncho's hood.

Both of these add a bunch of wind blown rain or snow protection, and significantly increase warmth by keeping the wind and rain/snow out of the insulation. Even with a small tarp. However, both at least potentially add condensation concerns, if not used with additional, on the inside, VBs. Though the WB might be loose enough to not contact at least some UQs, and that drain helps, so might not need additional VBs. So far, with the AHE UQ, I have not needed added VBs.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Quest
    Insulation
    Bandit/Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    @cougarmeat and @BillyBob58, thank you kindly for the detailed pros and cons, very much appreciated. I've spent a small fortune on gear, international shipping and tax over the last few months so will wait for a while on the UQP, especially as the Eldorado one is $$$

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast