Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Having issues with my Incubator

Went on a trip last week where it dropped down to 30 degrees. My incubator is rated for 20. I woke up freezing, and it did not seem to matter what I did with my primary, or secondary suspension, there was still a sag.

All week I have been messing with this, and still cannot get it right.

If I get it to the point where it is actually keeping me warm (tonight 40 degrees) it is too tight and even broke the s beaner. It also caused an awful calf ridge that was unbearable.

If I get it to the point where it is somewhat warm, but still not warm enough (considering its a 20 degree UQ and its 40 degrees out) only my back gets warm, but I cannot get the foot end up against the hammock. Not to mention if I get the foot end up against the hammock, its way too tight on the suspension, and it pulls the UQ way too far toward my feet and my back is not covered by the UQ.

I have watched Shugs videos, and have been reading up on these threads all week, but am not finding anything that seems to work.

Is there a system anyone uses setting up their full length UQ to ensure you have it evenly distributed, and that you can still get a flat lay while keeping warm, and without a dreadful calfridge?

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    It is hard to determine what to modify without seeing what you are doing. Is it possible for you to post some photos with it in use?
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Have you ever had an experienced hanger help you adjust the UQ? It doesn't sound like you have the underquilt set up right.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Try starting from zero. Loosen all your suspensions and the draw cords on the ends. Maybe even undo any adjustments you made at the s-biner. Then begin again.

Sometimes tweaking doesn’t fix the base problem and only compounds it. Try starting as if it’s a new setup and maybe you’ll work out whatever is in your system.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I am probably not much help. As mentioned by the two members above try to...
    - Post images of your set-up.
    - Start over, just like all gear is new to you.
    *Check the way you have your hammock hung. Is everything centered?
    * Make sure your TQ molds around you so it forms a seal with your UQ.
    Wear something appropriate and clean to sleep in.

I sleep cold so I use either a 20°F or 0°F.

Again I am suggesting where I would start to solve the problem. Actually with my first real UQ I had the same issue you are having. My UQ was 3/4 length, I could not get a good seal without a ridge. I switched to full length and adjusted my hammock hang (sag).

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    The three most likely culprits:

1. Primary suspension not tight enough.

2. Tertiary suspension too tight.

3. Primary suspension not pulling somewhat UP toward the ridgeline, and instead just pulling straight OUT to the end of the hammock.

The secondary suspension is unlikely to be the problem.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You did not mention what type hammock it is on.
    Check that your down is distributed evenly.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I definitely prefer a full length UQ, but the only time I've ever had CBS was with a full length quilt. Hope you get it figured out!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    As mentioned, start from zero by "resetting" everything like you got it. Then try again first by tightening the primary suspension if necessary (tie knot in line to shorten it). The UQ should LIFT the hammock while you're not in it. It may look weird and wrong, but it's not.

Then snug up the secondary a little. Don't go crazy; this just takes some slack out and pulls the UQ towards each end a little. Honestly I think you can get away with not even using this if the primary is set right. But it's definitely helpful to have.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, do not over-tighten the ends. This is the thinnest cord with cord locks. I think a lot of people end up over-tightening these because they want to "seal up" the end conforming the UQ to the hammock. Again, to make it "look right". But the bunched up hammock is only like 3" wide at the end with nothing in it!!! Once you get in your feet spread that out to what...10 inches? 15 inches? That's a lot of tension on that UQ end and what happens is it becomes more of a deep "U" shape instead of a conforming "(" shape. At that point, even a 0° at 50° will feel cold because cold air is rushing directly into that gap.

Other little things include making sure the down is distributed. Lie it on the floor and pat the down to make sure it's somewhat even. After unpacking, shake it a little and let it puff up before hanging. It should be centered on the hammock. I think even your position in the hammock can make your butt cold. And for me, when it's about 25° or less my butt is always cold for the first 5-10 minutes. I used to get frustrated and give up...but I found that if I ignore it for a few minutes it goes away.

How are you lying? Hopefully it's not the extreme angles you see in many ads. I don't want to tell you how to do it if you're comfortable. But the more angle, the harder it is to fit the UQ properly.

I did a search and found this:

Obviously you're going to have problems with that! But you don't have to lie straight either. A nice modest angle will do and hopefully be comfortable for you sleeping as well.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I definitely prefer a full length UQ, but the only time I've ever had CBS was with a full length quilt. Hope you get it figured out!
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    As mentioned, start from zero by "resetting" everything like you got it. Then try again first by tightening the primary suspension if necessary (tie knot in line to shorten it). The UQ should LIFT the hammock while you're not in it. It may look weird and wrong, but it's not.

Then snug up the secondary a little. Don't go crazy; this just takes some slack out and pulls the UQ towards each end a little. Honestly I think you can get away with not even using this if the primary is set right. But it's definitely helpful to have.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, do not over-tighten the ends. This is the thinnest cord with cord locks. I think a lot of people end up over-tightening these because they want to "seal up" the end conforming the UQ to the hammock. Again, to make it "look right". But the bunched up hammock is only like 3" wide at the end with nothing in it!!! Once you get in your feet spread that out to what...10 inches? 15 inches? That's a lot of tension on that UQ end and what happens is it becomes more of a deep "U" shape instead of a conforming "(" shape. At that point, even a 0° at 50° will feel cold because cold air is rushing directly into that gap.

Other little things include making sure the down is distributed. Lie it on the floor and pat the down to make sure it's somewhat even. After unpacking, shake it a little and let it puff up before hanging. It should be centered on the hammock. I think even your position in the hammock can make your butt cold. And for me, when it's about 25° or less my butt is always cold for the first 5-10 minutes. I used to get frustrated and give up...but I found that if I ignore it for a few minutes it goes away.

How are you lying? Hopefully it's not the extreme angles you see in many ads. I don't want to tell you how to do it if you're comfortable. But the more angle, the harder it is to fit the UQ properly.

I did a search and found this:

Obviously you're going to have problems with that! But you don't have to lie straight either. A nice modest angle will do and hopefully be comfortable for you sleeping as well.
    I personally at least highly suspect that short UQs are easier to get adjusted right, at least on a gathered hammock. (doesn't seem to make much difference on my bridges, as long as the UQ is not too long for the hammock). It just seems like things get trickier once I lay across the diagonal of both the hammock and the full length UQ. But who knows, it might just be user error by me. However, though I have had the occasional problem with cold legs (especially on one leg) with full length, neither I nor my newby son(in his first hammock night, at 27F, using my CS Yeti and since then) have ever failed to be warm at or near the ratings of either my short JRBs or WB synthetic Yeti(along with a pad under the legs when cold enough). Or, either full length or short on my JRB bridges, never a problem there. Seems to fit about as well on my WBRR, certainly with the shorty, but have never put it to the test. But my impression is that short UQs are easier on gathered hammocks, less to go wrong. Could be wrong, of course.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast