Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The Lynx used with the Ridge Runner is just about foolproof. With a GE hammock, I find it is easier to use a partial length - though at my size, "partial" - as in ¾ - is almost "full"). Except in winter temps, I find it easier to position the partial UQ and have it snug. With full size, I have to be sure my diagonal lie doesn't cause a gap. I do use a UQP so it is not as critical.

If you cannot find a friend to help (lay in the hammock so you can inspect the UQ fit), perhaps you can put your loaded backpack in the hammock and see how the UQ is fitting.

And at this point it depends on the UQ - some have a single bungee and can be helped by something like an S-biner on the ridge line holding (pulling up) the quilt bungees. Some, like those from HG, have secondary suspension that provides that extra directional pull. Some have a differential cut so when pressed tight to the hammock, they don't compress. But it's important to identify the top and bottom so you don't attach it upside down. If it doesn't have a differential cut, you need to be sure it is not so snug that it compresses the loft. Note with HG you also have a foot end and head end so those have to be correct.

I am not suggesting that you got it "all wrong" - it's just that there are many ways for it not to work and without someway of seeing how it was set up, one can only go down the list of things that could be wrong.

A 20 degree UQ in 30 degree weather is sort of at the edge for some (those of us who like a 10 degree buffer vs temp rating). But I'd imagine you'd be plenty warm and comfortable at 40 degrees.

HG has that differential cut so you can snug it right up. At full length, you want your end gather loose and your main suspension so it starts to lift the hammock when you are not in it. Again - details we don't know, like the size of the S-biner. But if things are so tight they break and S-biner there seems to be something awfully "off" about your setup.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I am going to try again this evening to hang it, and start from zero and maybe inch my way there.

All of the feedback is very much appreciated. Will give a few things a shot and give an update.

In your personal opinion, how warm are you in a 20 degree UQ when its 20 degrees or above? Do you feel like you don't need and extra layer or two? or should it feel like I would be comfortable sleeping in shorts and a t-shirt? I know everyone sleeps different, but I also don't want to have unrealistic expectations.

I used my 40 degree UQ (phoenix) and in the high 50's i found it to be like sleeping in my bed. Very warm, and had to kick my top quilt off a few times (20 degree burrow).

Thanks again!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Getting cool/cold at 20° is a lot more noticeable and uncomfortable than at 40°. So little errors will be more apparent. I always like to wear a very light base layer (long sleeve and pants) to block drafts and keep the cool fabric off my skin.

I've taken my 0° Incubator down to -16° without any issues and into single digits several other times. My 20° has been down to 3° and around 10° a few times. I think the ratings are conservative as long as you have it set up right. But it's always good to have some wiggle room. I totally trust the ratings after all these years.

You can wear more clothes, but I feel like it messes up the whole system. But I could be wrong.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Getting cool/cold at 20° is a lot more noticeable and uncomfortable than at 40°. So little errors will be more apparent. I always like to wear a very light base layer (long sleeve and pants) to block drafts and keep the cool fabric off my skin.

I've taken my 0° Incubator down to -16° without any issues and into single digits several other times. My 20° has been down to 3° and around 10° a few times. I think the ratings are conservative as long as you have it set up right. But it's always good to have some wiggle room. I totally trust the ratings after all these years.

You can wear more clothes, but I feel like it messes up the whole system. But I could be wrong.
    Thanks OneClick,

Thats kinda what I was looking for. While I am sure there is a user error on my end, I also want to be sure my expectations aren't set too high.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless - for now
    Tarp
    Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I am going to try again this evening to hang it, and start from zero and maybe inch my way there.

All of the feedback is very much appreciated. Will give a few things a shot and give an update.

In your personal opinion, how warm are you in a 20 degree UQ when its 20 degrees or above? Do you feel like you don't need and extra layer or two? or should it feel like I would be comfortable sleeping in shorts and a t-shirt? I know everyone sleeps different, but I also don't want to have unrealistic expectations.

I used my 40 degree UQ (phoenix) and in the high 50's i found it to be like sleeping in my bed. Very warm, and had to kick my top quilt off a few times (20 degree burrow).

Thanks again!
    Please let us know how it turns out and what you think fixed it...or if it’s still broken (hope not!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I forgot to ask - how tall are you and do you have the standard length, long or short? I'm 5'9" and figured a "short" would cover me fine. And while it did "cover" me completely, it caused me so many issues. I had to sell all of my shorts and get standard lengths due to how the leg shelf portion is fitted to your body.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger12 Hex
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I apologize for the delayed response, and how jumbled this response will be. Crazy busy with the holidays around the corner.

Still working with it.

To answer a few questions that were asked - No I have not been out with anyone else who hammock camps. Unfortunately it has been a busy year, and have only been able to get on the trail a couple times. I try to hang in the back yard at least 2 to 3 times a week to practice and get use to everything.

I did start from zero, and while I am able to get it snug against me, it still doesn't seem to keep me warm enough for 20 degrees. Certainly not down to 10 degrees as someone else stated. If I pull the UQ from side to side I can feel the seams from the UQ rubbing against my back and feet. My girlfriend also come out and laid in it while I was adjusting the UQ, and I can stick my hand between and feel that there is no gaps except under the knee (which I am assuming is inevitable) but my feet and legs still get very cold, while my back starts to warm up a little (but again not very much).

The UQ does lift the hammock when I am not laying in it, and have gotten it so no s biners are breaking.

I am 5' 10" and have the standard incubator. It completely covers my head to my feet. Typically it will sit about 2 to 3 inches from my feet.

I am going to try to spread out the down as I forgot that suggestions and see if that helps. Maybe loosen up my gathered ends a bit more, but not seeing any gaps in them.

At this point I think I was laying too diagonal causing too many gaps, plus, sometimes I ball up on my side when sleeping, and I think that also pulled the hammock away from the UQ in spots that made roof for air.

I need to figure out why my feet, and legs won't get warm, and maybe curve my expectations regarding how warm I can expect to get using the 20 degree UQ.

An example, even last night when it was 40 something degrees, I wasn't necessarily warm, but I was warmer then I would have been if I wasn't in the hammock (if that makes any sense).

Hoping to get back out later tonight or tomorrow evening.

Cheers, and thanks again!
    Last edited by FastHamFreddy; 11-25-2019 at 18:56.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG top and bottom
    Suspension
    Kevlar Whoopie
    I would back up and take a look at your hammock suspension to make sure that it is adjusted properly. Don't know if you did that when you "started back from zero" but it may be worth considering.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    I am a heavy hangar
    I toss allot throughout the night
    I had cold spots
    I fixed that by using some shock cord and clip it to underquilt on each side by feet
    I also use some small binders on my ridgeline on prussicks to lift quilt at better angles
    And on the plus side it holds my quilts from wanting to escape my hammock when I rise to pee at night
    Attachment 17836720191126_180043.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I personally at least highly suspect that short UQs are easier to get adjusted right, at least on a gathered hammock. (doesn't seem to make much difference on my bridges, as long as the UQ is not too long for the hammock). It just seems like things get trickier once I lay across the diagonal of both the hammock and the full length UQ. But who knows, it might just be user error by me. However, though I have had the occasional problem with cold legs (especially on one leg) with full length, neither I nor my newby son(in his first hammock night, at 27F, using my CS Yeti and since then) have ever failed to be warm at or near the ratings of either my short JRBs or WB synthetic Yeti(along with a pad under the legs when cold enough). Or, either full length or short on my JRB bridges, never a problem there. Seems to fit about as well on my WBRR, certainly with the shorty, but have never put it to the test. But my impression is that short UQs are easier on gathered hammocks, less to go wrong. Could be wrong, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by FastHamFreddy View Post
    I apologize for the delayed response, and how jumbled this response will be. Crazy busy with the holidays around the corner.

Still working with it.

To answer a few questions that were asked - No I have not been out with anyone else who hammock camps. Unfortunately it has been a busy year, and have only been able to get on the trail a couple times. I try to hang in the back yard at least 2 to 3 times a week to practice and get use to everything.

I did start from zero, and while I am able to get it snug against me, it still doesn't seem to keep me warm enough for 20 degrees. Certainly not down to 10 degrees as someone else stated. If I pull the UQ from side to side I can feel the seams from the UQ rubbing against my back and feet. My girlfriend also come out and laid in it while I was adjusting the UQ, and I can stick my hand between and feel that there is no gaps except under the knee (which I am assuming is inevitable) but my feet and legs still get very cold, while my back starts to warm up a little (but again not very much).

The UQ does lift the hammock when I am not laying in it, and have gotten it so no s biners are breaking.

I am 5' 10" and have the standard incubator. It completely covers my head to my feet. Typically it will sit about 2 to 3 inches from my feet.

I am going to try to spread out the down as I forgot that suggestions and see if that helps. Maybe loosen up my gathered ends a bit more, but not seeing any gaps in them.

At this point I think I was laying too diagonal causing too many gaps, plus, sometimes I ball up on my side when sleeping, and I think that also pulled the hammock away from the UQ in spots that made roof for air.

I need to figure out why my feet, and legs won't get warm, and maybe curve my expectations regarding how warm I can expect to get using the 20 degree UQ.

An example, even last night when it was 40 something degrees, I wasn't necessarily warm, but I was warmer then I would have been if I wasn't in the hammock (if that makes any sense).

Hoping to get back out later tonight or tomorrow evening.

Cheers, and thanks again!
    Man oh man, it just shouldn't be this hard, should it? Let me repeat what I have said so often before: I don't really have problems with any insulation system I have used, starting with HH Super Shelters, then to the glorious Speer Pea Pod and soon after that a JRB MW4 mainly on bridge hammocks but also some on GEs and on the diagonal. And the short versions of the JRBs as well as a Climashield Yeti. Oh, and even CCF pads stacked in a Speer SPE. I have had good luck and mostly been either adequately or toasty warm and dry from the 30s down to +6F. So not counting my first 6 months of learning curve and coming to an understanding of how this stuff worked and what was different in hammocks, they all work for me and I haven't had a cold nigh in a hammock in 12 years.( with the exception of the occasionally left leg(with feet right) that is not as warm as the rest of me in GEs with a full length UQ. But even that I can usually get worked out.

However, it can not be denied that there has been many a thread just like yours over the years. Not warm enough at 40F in a full length 20F UQ. Bro, you are not alone! And sometimes it can be a biotch to get it worked out. And I don't think this is usually because these folks are super cold sleepers, because often they are just fine at 20F with 20F rated gear on the ground. Or even in a hammock but with a pad. Th problem is for them to get the UQ working right, to figure out what the variable is that they must correct, and how to correct it.

Now, I realize that the only thing satisfactory is to get this quilt, all by itself, to keep you adequately warm at 20F, like it is supposed to, and like it does for many other users. But until you get the mystery figured out, maybe just treat it like a torso or 3/4 UQ and put a piece of cheap CCF pad under your legs? Adjust the UQ for max back and butt warmth, and go to a no gap system. There won't be any gaps on that pad. And for me, very little- if any- hammock comfort is lost by using a leg pad. It can even help comfort if there is any calf ridge. To avoid any condensation as some folks get, you can cut a narrow section that will fit in the foot box. That will keep the pad warmer and probably prevent any condensation, as will VB socks. In fact, VB socks and pants(worn close to skin) will prevent condensation even if you don't put the pad in the foot box.

A $10 pad from WM, cut down for leg use(or a much nicer one for $15-20 ordered from AHE ) quickly solves all of these problems until you figure out what you must do so that you don't need it. And it can serve as a sit pad in camp or on lunch breaks. Heck, even after you have it all figured out, it can add luxury, water/wind proof warmth, or serve as an emergency booster(damp quilt? weather way colder than planned for? Pad comes in handy) and is still serving every day as a sit pad. No gaps to worry about with a pad!

EDIT: I talked myself into it! I have used a cut down WM blue pad for many years, but I just ordered this pad on sale 25% off for Black Friday:
    https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...alFootPad.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4xE...ature=emb_logo
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-28-2019 at 23:18.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast