Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarkko View Post
    Thank you Shug for the tip and for all the great videos you have done. Have been following your channel for a couple of years and enjoy the content a lot!

The video you linked was the first I went through when I got the Incubator and got things almost working. I even tried tightening the primary suspension around the whipping like you recommended, but just couldn’t get rid of the gap under my back. I don’t know if it’s because my Blackbird is the heavy double version, but for some reason I don’t seem to “sink towards” the UQ when I lay on my back.

Today I tried lifting the UQ’s primary suspension above the hammocks suspension and it seems to have helped. Will have to run more tests.
    OK. You should try and get it so you don't have to tie it off to a tree like that. You will get water running down your UQ shockcord if it rains. That would not be optimal.
    Good luck with it all. Keep at it.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    "Today I tried lifting the UQ’s primary suspension above the hammocks suspension and it seems to have helped. Will have to run more tests.".
    Not certain what you mean by that. Are you lifting the UQs suspenion up to your hammock's RL, or something else?

One final thought: aren't the HG UQs the ones with the leg shelf? So that the inner shell of the leg area is higher than the back? If so, I think I remember folks having problems if they got their buttockal area too close to that shelf, it caused a gap under their back. Maybe. Something to investigate.

Hey Jarrko I think you may want to rethink that tie to the tree. It looks like there is a lot of pressure on that line. I am afraid you can end up ripping out your Underquilt. I may be interpreting what I am seeing, incorrectly though.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You should try and get it so you don't have to tie it off to a tree like that. You will get water running down your UQ shockcord if it rains.
    You are absolutely correct! I was just happy that I was warm and didn't think this all the way through. Back to the drawing board.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    aren't the HG UQs the ones with the leg shelf? So that the inner shell of the leg area is higher than the back? If so, I think I remember folks having problems if they got their buttockal area too close to that shelf, it caused a gap under their back. Maybe.
    The UQ does have a shelve/own section for the feet. It just might be the case that during the night I slid towards the feet end. Will check next time I go out.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    You might be able to achieve the same results by shortening the primary suspension (the shock cord) on the UQ.

That picture seems to show that you needed to extend the UQ suspension, as it is, beyond the hammock body. Normally that shouldn't be necessary.
    I tried shortening the primary suspension, but no luck. Only having the primary raised a bit higher, did I get the warmth I was looking for.

I might just have to remove the bugnet and have extra shock cords running from the ridgeline to the UQ. This way I get the lift on the UQ I'm looking for, but do not pull the UQ too much length wise.

I'm a relative noob, but BillyBob might be on to something. I have an XLC and I use a Phoenix. I do nothing to the primary suspension other than clip it on. I do always have the foot end of my XLC about 18" above my head end so that I never slide. I've not noticed the gaps. It's a 40 degree and Ive used it in the upper 40s and low 50s and have never been cold.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Quest
    Insulation
    Bandit/Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Hello folks,

This weekend I got out for a hang using my new 20 deg (short) Incubator. Got down to only about 3C (37F) and woke up with cold back, reaching between the hammock and UQ I could definitely feel a gap. Based on what I've been reading in this thread, I'm thinking I need to shorten my primary suspension a little bit, like maybe 30cm? Does my UQ look too low to you? (1st pic, no UQ installed)

IMG_1141.JPEGIMG_1143.JPEG

thanks,
    Alex

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gracon View Post
    Hello folks,

This weekend I got out for a hang using my new 20 deg (short) Incubator. Got down to only about 3C (37F) and woke up with cold back, reaching between the hammock and UQ I could definitely feel a gap. Based on what I've been reading in this thread, I'm thinking I need to shorten my primary suspension a little bit, like maybe 30cm? Does my UQ look too low to you? (1st pic, no UQ installed)

thanks,
    Alex
    Maybe this will give some proper set-up insight.
    Be patient and get it right and all will be good with your back.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gracon View Post
    Hello folks,

thanks,
    Alex
    It looks maybe a bit too loose to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Maybe this will give some proper set-up insight.
    Be patient and get it right and all will be good with your back.
    Shug

Follow Shug's directions.

"using my new 20 deg (short) Incubator. Got down to only about 3C (37F) and woke up with cold back, reaching between the hammock and UQ I could definitely feel a gap.".
    Wow! Cold even with a SHORT UQ? Crazy! (then again, that looks like a pretty long "short" UQ to me.

I have always found my shorter UQs (on GE hammocks) less prone to issues than full length UQs on GE hammocks. I have always felt that is due to trying to lay across the diagonal of both hammock and UQ, which seems to result in a gap or falling away of the(when feet are right) left side of the UQ. Plus, issues maybe caused by my feet/heels pushing out on both hammock and UQ. Always easily solved with a leg pad. Which early on for me just became an argument for just using the shorter UQs to start with(I mean, if I am going to use a leg pad anyway?)

But, you have a cold back at 37F even using a quality short 20F UQ? What the bloody heck? "
    I could definitely feel a gap.". YEP, that will do it! Never fails! So obviously first step is to get rid of that gap. This is normally accomplished, at least for me with a short UQ, by adjusting the main suspension so that it is tight enough to lift the empty hammock a few inches to a foot or so. With my JRB Greylocks, this has never come close to failing. Should be the same with other short UQs. Don't have it so tight that there is no ability to push it towards the ground with ease, at least a foot or 2, for when your body weight causes the hammock to sag towards the ground. That hammock suspension won't support much, if any, weight. It needs to be lifting the EMPTY hammock a bit or a bit more, but still have some flex left! This is on a JRB brige hammock, but you get the idea:

Here is how I test for an UQ suspension not being tight enough: Once laying down in the hammock, I grab the left edge of the UQ with right hand, and at the same time grab the right upper edge of the UQ with my left hand(arms crossed), and pull up. If I don't feel it pulling 100% tight against my back IMMEDIATELY, or if I am able to pull it further up even a smidgen, the main suspension is probably too loose.

Then, I tighten up the secondary suspension(if it has one) just enough so that the quilt edges are straight, and not sagging in the middle(accordion effect).

If I take care of those 2 steps with a short UQ, my back and butt are always toasty warm. The foot pad takes care of legs and feet without fail for me. (nothing to adjust there). Sometimes a put a foot pad inside my TQ footbox).

One final thing: Do you have a set of adjustments on the foot and head end, for snugging up the extreme ends so that, even with the main suspension lifting the hammock, the ends don't gap down? You want to snug those up so that they are just contacting your legs or leg pad, and no tighter. Usually, going tighter than just touching, on those, will just cause ridges where cold air can travel under your back.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-28-2022 at 13:52.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Quest
    Insulation
    Bandit/Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Thanks Shug, I've watched this a few times before, it's very well explained. I feel like shortening the primary suspension may do the trick so I've re-tied the knot to make it about a foot shorter. Will hang and try again...

Hammock
    WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Quest
    Insulation
    Bandit/Incubator
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Thanks for the detailed tips BillyBob, I think more adjustment is required. I do have the cinches at either end of the incubator and I had them cinched but not too tight. Feels like the primary is the key to this. Looking forward to getting it right and feeling toasty! I will report back here when that happens (or doesn't)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast