HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have a 20F UQ that I have used from 15 to 70F. Venting is the key for me. I am a warm sleeper so if I get too hot, I move the UQ to one side until I cool off. I also vent both ends in warmer weather.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

How warm can 0 degree underquilt go?

I had a ridge runner and a lynx UQ for a little while. I would argue that it is much harder to overheat from a warmer Lynx UQ or any bridge UQ because it’s doesn’t wrap up around you on the sides nearly as much as a gathered end UQ. So venting your TQ works really well. You might want a little wider TQ to compensate for that very same thing though.

Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    There will be a handful of us at IL Beach State Park in Zion, IL next weekend if you can make it down. There will be a few different setups there for you to check out, and those guys are a wealth of knowledge.

Personally, I use quilts rated to the expected lows and have taken all of my UQ's below their ratings without trouble. It was a long process, but multiple temp rated quilts make for a versatile system.
    Thanks for the invite, however I am unsure I can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You can alway vent it.....
    Carry forth.
    Shug

A reply from the Shug!

Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    I had a ridge runner and a lynx UQ for a little while. I would argue that it is much harder to overheat from a warmer Lynx UQ or any bridge UQ because it’s doesn’t wrap up around you on the sides nearly as much as a gathered end UQ. So venting your TQ works really well. You might want a little wider TQ to compensate for that very same thing though.
    Thanks. One thing that has me worried a little bit is the ends where the underquilts don't quite fully cover.
    Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat 12'
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* + 2oz, Full
    Suspension
    DIY UCR, 1" Straps
    One thing to note. Most people only have experience with gathered end hammocks. A ridge runner is a bit unique in several ways. One is that under-quilts always fit perfectly (very little "adjustment", and that is only for venting). And because of that, a bit easier to vent evenly/hang loosely (compared to a GE). Up north, if you ever expect to go winter (or heck, mid fall/spring) camping, the 0 degree would definitely be my first (and probably only) UQ. If you go 95% summer camping, then picking up a 40 degree UQ might be worthwhile at that point. Top quilt is also much more optional, since it is pretty easy to get in/out of a bridge, so your sleeping bag (if you have gear from tent camping, and/or want a cheaper option than a TQ) is a more viable option. I'm still using my 0 degree sleeping bag, and don't imagine I'll ever upgrade to a winter top quilt. And a $20 costco down comforter or 2 works perfectly for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewB View Post
    One thing to note. Most people only have experience with gathered end hammocks. A ridge runner is a bit unique in several ways. One is that under-quilts always fit perfectly (very little "adjustment", and that is only for venting). And because of that, a bit easier to vent evenly/hang loosely (compared to a GE). Up north, if you ever expect to go winter (or heck, mid fall/spring) camping, the 0 degree would definitely be my first (and probably only) UQ. If you go 95% summer camping, then picking up a 40 degree UQ might be worthwhile at that point. Top quilt is also much more optional, since it is pretty easy to get in/out of a bridge, so your sleeping bag (if you have gear from tent camping, and/or want a cheaper option than a TQ) is a more viable option. I'm still using my 0 degree sleeping bag, and don't imagine I'll ever upgrade to a winter top quilt. And a $20 costco down comforter or 2 works perfectly for summer.
    Thanks for the reply. My plan is to go for a 0* UQ. That said if hammock camping is going to be like all the rest of my hobbies I'm sure I'll end up with an assortment at some point in the future lol..
    Into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123