Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream 1
    Insulation
    EE and HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Various Straps

Hexon 1.6 vs NylonD 1.7

Hi,

What is the difference between the fabrics Hexon W 1.6 and NylonD W 1.7? I see Hexon W 1.6 has a weight limit of 350lbs but I don't see anything listed for NylonD W 1.7. Is Nylon D stronger with less stretch? Any one have first hand experience with both of them? I did a search but didn't find much info on Nylon D 1.7.

Thanks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    All I can attest to is that my Hexon 1.6 hammock is really a nice feeling lay.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Nylon tends to be less stretchy and is stronger but doesn’t have that cotton feel like other fabrics
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream 1
    Insulation
    EE and HG Quilts
    Suspension
    Various Straps
    Thanks. I kept looking and found a thread that answered most of my questions.

I have been hanging with a NylonD 1.7 Chameleon cut down to a regular hammock cut.... l personally like the feel better over the Hexon 1.6 in texture, being very smooth silky.... with less give so yeah it could be said it is a supportive fabric.

With my Multicam hammock which l feel is firmer than the Hexon 1.6.... the NylonD 1.7 still is more supportive or firmer over the Multicam.

Where as my ideal appeal with NylonD fabric with its texture with a little more give like Hexon 1.6

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    You are mixing up Hexon W 1.6 and Hexon W 1.7. The Hexon W 1.7 is only temporarily available as a netless hammock, while the Hexon W 1.6 can be ordered either by the yard or in all kinds of hammock models Dutch offers.

NylonD W 1.7 and Hexon W 1.6 are both 40D fabrics; Hexon W 1.7 is a 70D fabric. The higher the number before the D, the heavier the yarn is that the fabric is woven from. The oz weight tells you how much a square yard of the fabric weighs. The Hexon W 1.7 is the same weight as the NylonD W 1.7 although it's made from heavier yarn. This means, the NylonD W is woven much tighter. A tighter weave is more windresistent , less prone to thread shift and stronger compared to a looser weave with the same yarn.

I have all three fabrics and my favorite is easily the Hexon W 1.7. It feels even softer than the Hexon 1.6, but has less stretch. But the weave is quite loose, so the threads shift easily. The weight capacity of 250lbs is not only less than other 70D fabrics (Hexon 2.4 70D has a capacity of 400lbs), but also less than the Hexon 1.6, which has a capacity of 350lbs. This is probably due to the loose weave.

The Hexon 1.6 is also very soft and feels almost like cotton. My impression is, that it has more stretch than the NylonD W 1.7. The NylonD W 1.7 has a very tight weave and is pretty slick. Of the three it has the least natural feel by a large margin.

So Hexon W 1.7 has looser weave... do you feel it has a significative effect on heat retention, I mean in colder situations (40-35f), with an apropriate UQ, would warmth compares to any other hecon, nylon or hyper d for instance... ?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurence Caron View Post
    So Hexon W 1.7 has looser weave... do you feel it has a significative effect on heat retention, I mean in colder situations (40-35f), with an apropriate UQ, would warmth compares to any other hecon, nylon or hyper d for instance... ?
    Heat retention? If there were any "heat retention" benefit, it would not even be measurable.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

I meant, from experience, for instance if you have a UQ and a top cover, does it feel like a fish net in the wind through the sides or is there a minimum of wind protection (for those above 45ft parallel or so). By heat retention I really meant, does my heat just pass through the walls if there is a colder wind.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurence Caron View Post
    I meant, from experience, for instance if you have a UQ and a top cover, does it feel like a fish net in the wind through the sides or is there a minimum of wind protection (for those above 45ft parallel or so). By heat retention I really meant, does my heat just pass through the walls if there is a colder wind.
    I’ve never tried a proper top cover, but I did throw a blanket over my ridgeline one night when cold wind was hitting me in the face. Worked like a charm - in fact, it got downright toasty even with the blanket not covering the lower 1/4 of the hammock.

Summer UG was fine, but without the blanket that cold wind was annoying. I would imagine a top cover is a similar experience or what would be the point.

I guess I could have also just brought the tarp down or closed the doors, etc, but the blanket worked great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast