ENO DN but looking
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Undecided
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps

Doublenest Hammocks for Two People

I'm new to hammock camping, never slept in a hammock before and looking to try it out while hiking. Both me and my wife are retired and felt that hammock camping would be a better solution for camping then waking up with sore bones from sleeping on the hard ground. Rather then having to wait until we're out on the trail to find this out, I wanted to hear from others to get their opinions on the subject. I purchased a ENO Doublenest Hammock for both me and my wife to sleep in, in order to save space and weight while hiking. I saw on one video where it was suggested that the best way to sleep in a hammock was slightly askew for a flatter more comfortable sleep so as not to end up lying like a banana. Thinking about our situation with both of us in the one hammock, I image that we would end up rolling on top of each other in the hammock and not getting a good nights sleep as a result. If that would be the case then perhaps I'd need to purchase another hammock for my wife to use..? I see that ENO now sells a "Fuse Tandem Hammock System" for hanging 2 hammocks from the same suspension system. If I were to end up having to use to separate hammocks, will that still allow us to both share the same Rain Tarp or would that be stretching it too far..? Have others found this out to be true or will one hammock work out okay for us both..?

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Ok so you have hit the first big misconception that we all hit....a "double" hammock is not really for 2 people to sleep in comfortably. Unless you are 2 really skinny to y people that literally like to sleep on top of each other....

There are however some great options. Since you already have the eno, they have a spreader bar system you can buy, when attached to 2 hammocks, you can sleep side by side.

Buuuuttttttt....the more you get into this amazing hobby, it will become more of a lifestyle. Then you start realizing that there is some seriously awesome gear out there. Like the double dutch chameleon set, where there is actually a bug net that connects 2 chameleon hammocks with a spreader bar.

Or you can buy the spreader bar and dutch hooks, and put them on your favorite suspension, and then use 2 hammocks of any kind.

I bought a Gold Armor tarp for 30 bucks on amazon that covers that set up very well....that mine in the pic, 2 WBBB xlc hammocks with a spreader !

Hammock
    ENO DN but looking
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Undecided
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Thanks for the tip, that was my opinion too. I looks as I'll be looking into getting another separate hammock for my wife to use..

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    You will be much more comfortable!

Images

Re: Tarps for 2 hammocks

They're a little spendy because they're all handmade in the USA, but here are a few links to some of the widest tarps available from the hammock cottage vendor scene. Any of these would be a high quality product.

UGQ Outdoors in Michigan
    https://ugqoutdoor.com/tarps/xl-silpoly-tarps/
    Note the prices shown are not the complete price of the tarp. They require you to order the fabric separately from RipstopbytheRoll and have it shipped to their shop. The price shown is for them to make a tarp from the fabric. They tell you how many yards of fabric are required depending on the tarp model you want and they direct you here to choose the color you'd like.

Dutchware Gear in Pennsylvania
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wide-winter-tarp/
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wide-rectangle-tarp/
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/wide-hex-tarp/
    These are more straightforward, as the price is the price, once you choose your options. Dutch is also close (it sounds like) to releasing a tarp purpose built for covering 2 side by side hammocks, in the way Smckinney described above.

Simply Light Designs in Idaho
    https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle.../hammock-tarps
    Most of these tarps can be made to order in extra wide. After selecting a tarp model, under Color/Fabric, you'd choose either Silpoly XL or Xenon Sil Wide (these are actually the same fabrics used by UGQ and Dutchware, respectively).

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, you could always just get a 12'x12' blue poly tarp from a hardware or big box store and use that to get started.

Images

Re: Side by side hammocks

With hanging 2 hammocks side by side, there are at least a couple options:

- Use a spreader bar at the head end (or at both ends?) of the side by side hammocks to keep them spaced apart. Each hammock requires its own suspension. One of the disadvantages is that as one person moves around or gets in/out of their hammock, a lot of the movement is transferred through the spreader bar to the other hammock as well.

- If the trees are large enough in diameter, you can hang 2 hammocks side by side without a spreader bar. Each hammock still requires its own suspension, and you can just have one hammock's suspension coming off one side of the tree and the other hammock's suspension coming off the other side of the tree. The hammocks are spaced apart by nature of the diameters of the trees. This is nicer in a way because none of the motion will be transferred between the hammocks. It does assume you have long enough straps to go around large diameter trees, and that those kind of trees are available in the first place.

- Find 3 appropriately spaced trees and hang the hammocks so that they share 1 tree in common (probably the foot end of the hammocks). However, one tarp won't work in this scenario and the overlap of 2 tarps becomes a little challenging. Finding the right 3 trees in the first place can also be challenging.

{There's also hanging 2 hammocks bunk-bed-style, one above the other, but if you ask me this is a practice more suited to youths or a parent and child.}
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-08-2019 at 12:13.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    https://www.amazon.com/Gold-Armour-H...or+tarp&sr=8-3

This is like the one I use, but they have added more tie outs to it! We can even pitch it low if needed.

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    With hanging 2 hammocks side by side, there are at least a couple options:

- Use a spreader bar at the head end (or at both ends?) of the side by side hammocks to keep them spaced apart. Each hammock requires its own suspension. One of the disadvantages is that as one person moves around or gets in/out of their hammock, a lot of the movement is transferred through the spreader bar to the other hammock as well.

- If the trees are large enough in diameter, you can hang 2 hammocks side by side without a spreader bar. Each hammock still requires its own suspension, and you can just have one hammock's suspension coming off one side of the tree and the other hammock's suspension coming off the other side of the tree. The hammocks are spaced apart by nature of the diameters of the trees. This is nicer in a way because none of the motion will be transferred between the hammocks. It does assume you have long enough straps to go around large diameter trees, and that those kind of trees are available in the first place.

- Find 3 appropriately spaced trees and hang the hammocks so that they share 1 tree in common (probably the foot end of the hammocks). However, one tarp won't work in this scenario and the overlap of 2 tarps becomes a little challenging. Finding the right 3 trees in the first place can also be challenging.

{There's also hanging 2 hammocks bunk-bed-style, one above the other, but if you ask me this is a practice more suited to youths or a parent and child.}
    This man knows his stuff! I have had experiences in every one of these scenarios.

Spreader bar style SUCKS!! Everytime they barely move that movement is transferred over to your hammock, it's hard to get a good nights sleep.
    Coming off opposite sides of the tree works but the tree needs to be a large enough diameter to keep you two apart as well as a big enough tarp to cover both hammocks. Not really an issue here in Oregon, every tree is big enough lol.
    Using one common tree between the two hangers does work to save space but like cmc4free stated the tarps will not be able to be anchored appropriately.
    I personally am a fan of the bunk bed style. I'm 40 and still climb up the suspensions like a ladder. This method does suck if the person above you needs to get up in the middle of the night, or the person below had beans for dinner. One pro is it does allow you to share a single tarp.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Always nice when the other half also likes to camp out.

I always recommend to new hangers to find a group hang in their area and attend it even if it just for a day visit to check out the different setups before you go out and spend a lot on money on the wrong gear.

My wife uses a RidgeRunner and I mostly use Blackbirds, each under our own tarps.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Hex
    Insulation
    EE TQ / AHO UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've been using the Dutchware double whoopie hooks and spreader bar for years now to double up with my daughter since she was six years old. Now that she's 10 and wants to camp under her own tarp, I've invested in the Double Dutch bugnet for two Chameleon hammocks and my wife and I double up using the same spreader and whoopie hooks. We've never really had issues with the spreader bar making the hammocks sway and the little that it does is pretty relaxing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast