WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    My wife and I double under 1 tarp all the time, usually a 12' winter dream or 13' MWG Monster. Both are plenty big if you rig the doors correctly. We've done just about everything except the bunk bed style, and you definitely want separate hammocks/suspensions. Our preferred is the big tree (tough to find in our area) or better yet Y-tree on the head end, followed by the head end 32" spreader bar (from Dutch) through our beetle buckles. We never really have a movement issue unless one of us is getting in/out and then the see-saw effect kicks in. I'm ~300lb and lets just say my wife is a tiny fraction of that. The big issue is if she gets out, I sink and then she has to climb or jump back in her hammock. I'm not sure either of us notices much tossing and turning. No more so than sharing a regular bed anyway. Short a big tree or Y-tree, a medium tree with a well positioned sturdy branch can also perform the spreading function nicely. If I was just getting into this, I be getting one of Dutch's new XL Winter or Double tarps with pole mods. That extra width would be nice, especially on damp or cool days when you get condensation under the tarp.

Hammock
    ENO DN but looking
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Undecided
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    @MattB.. That Double Dutch Bugnet sounds like a winner for the both of us. I'll have to look further into before next spring's hammock camping. From what I've read so far, a DoubleNest is not the best solution for 2 campers sharing the same hammock. Thanks for all the great advise..

Hammock
    ENO DN but looking
    Tarp
    Undecided
    Insulation
    Undecided
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    @mab0852.. Sounds like a great idea. Those were my thoughts also about having two separate hammocks. Even though the describe those hammocks as being double, reality says that when two people are sharing the same hammock that they'll both end up on top of each at some time other making for a poor sleep. The Monster Tarp that you suggested would be a great idea saving both the cost of havong to buy another and the weight of gaving to lug two tarps around. Thanks for the great response, it was very much appreciated..

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Double nesting in one hammock can be done. I know because my best friend that I frequently hike with prefers to do that with his girlfriends. Now I think a big part of that is because he likes to cuddle and it saves money on gear. I haven’t heard of anyone else doing this though. He quickly learned that you need a wide UQ to stay warm in cold weather though. He now uses a 56” wide UQ made AHE and says it does the trick. It’s not what most people would prefer, but not out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by cdnred View Post
    I'm new to hammock camping, never slept in a hammock before and looking to try it out while hiking.
    Rather than address your specific question, let me suggest that the first thing you need to own is Derek Hansen's book, "The Ultimate Hang." For new hangers it will answer questions you haven't yet thought of and save you time and money in the long run. Here's a link to his website which also has a lot of very good reading for free under the "Hammocks 101" section.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Derek in any way, shape or form. I just like and recommend his book.

http://theultimatehang.com/
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    AMOK Draumr 3.0
    In my experience, most "double" hammocks don't increase your comfort, and certainly not with two people piled inside.
    What you get is a lot of flappy-floppy fabric that gets in the way.

Try finding a group hang in your area. Most folks will be happy to explain [brag] their rigs and choices. Most will let you laze a while to see what you like most. It's a great way to not only help in your choice, but to get to know a fun crowd to hang with.
    >> Onward thru the fog...>>
    Find me on my blog Moosenut Falls https://moosenutfalls.wordpress.com/

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12