Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’ve hiked (walked) a short trail. Don’t remember name of trail. It goes to an old house with plaques giving history of their gardening and their advances in crops and trees.
    I’ve downloaded half dozen Morrow Mountain trails to phone.

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Hg dcf 12 winter
    Insulation
    Cro 20 set
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Never hiked any Of The trails there i know last year they had sevral closed due to storm damge
    Not all those who wander are lost

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’ve hiked (walked) a short trail. Don’t remember name of trail. It goes to an old house with plaques giving history of their gardening and their advances in crops and trees.
    I’ve downloaded half dozen Morrow Mountain trails to phone.
    That is the Kron house.If you walk to the edge of the back yard there is a connector trail that goes to Fall Mountain trail. It is a loop trail. You will know you are in the right place when you walk through an old cemetery. https://www.ncparks.gov/morrow-mount...te-park/trails

Hammock
    Dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Hg dcf 12 winter
    Insulation
    Cro 20 set
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    That sounds like a good trail to hike
    Not all those who wander are lost

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Yeah, Sounds interesting!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Chameleon by Dutchware Gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Standard
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Beetles/Spiders
    Hello Everyone,

Although I have been reading and learning from this forum for a while now, this is the first time I have posted on any topic. I never had much to contribute . . . . until now.

I live in Albemarle which is about 7 miles from the entrance to the park so I consider Morrow Mountain as my "home course". I hike different trails there multiple times each week. Each trail has it's own special characteristics which I like. I usually combine trails making the hikes even more interesting. As it has been said, "Morrow Mountain is Stanly County's greatest secret".

Some hiking info that you won't get from the internet:

There are restrooms and working water fountains in the Park Office building (open 24 hours a day). There is also a wellhead in front of the Museum (which shares a paved parking lot with the Park Office). I have filled my water bottles there when I was to lazy to walk to the Office. There are restrooms on top of the mountain (scenic view area) but the water fountains do not work up there. You can get water from the bathroom sinks, but bring a short container as the sinks are shallow. There are no showers located in the park.

There also are restrooms in what the Park Rangers call the "lower picnic area". This area is just past the large paved parking lot past the pool. This is where the Quarry Trail Head is. Again, the outside water fountains don't work and the inside sinks are shallow.

There is a fancy "outhouse" style restroom at the Horse Trailer Parking lot (grass field), no sinks or water fountains though. There is a wellhead there to water horses, not sure it is for human consumption though.

There are usually paper maps of the park and trails available for free in the Park Office and the Office's "front porch". There are also maps available in a black mail box beside the fancy "outhouse" in the Horse Parking lot. They do sell T shirts, and other Park trinkets and a limited number of items that campers usually forget to bring inside the Park Office during their business hours.

There is a new small grocery type store near the entrance of the Park at the corner of Valley Drive and Morrow Mountain Road. This is the closest store to the park without having to go into Albemarle.

Cell phone coverage everywhere out there ranges from no reception to spotty and poor. On the very top (scenic view area) is about the only place your phone may work normally. At least for my phone.

Speaking of communications, if any of you are Ham Radio Operators, the Stanly County Amateur Radio Club (K4OGB) has a repeater on top of the mountain Specs: 443.525, + offset, 77 Hz Tone and 77 Hz Tone Squelch. It covers the entire park/area well except for a tinny bit of the Fall Mountain Trail. It is open for any FCC licensed Amateurs to use. I must say, the ham radio hobby sure does mesh well with hiking and hanging.

Looks like my schedule may not allow time for me to hang with you guys, but I hope to be able to hike by on Saturday just to say "hey" and meet some of you.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    HamOperator, thank you for a good information.
    Come by Saturday and check out hammocks on your walkabout. Some of our campers are also in ham radio. Not sure if they are camping this weekend.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/W.Logics Snipe
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    LocoLibre UQ,WLTQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bks, whoopie
    Images

Hangsgiving 2019

Hangsgiving 2019

Thanks Pickl for the post! Just some more info :
    Thursday: Arrive and a little laid back and relax.
    Friday: Big breakfast, lunch and a few group shares all around. Maybe some time for fire starting, bushcraft etc.
    Saturday: Another Big Breakfast (Group effort) and lunch all around or by yourself but then the afternoon gets busy. A trade blanket after lunch 3ish (Basically bring things to sell or trade) make deals on good used or new gear etc. Then..... After the Huge gear raffle we take part in a shared potluck but more like a Thanksgiving style meal together. We are all very Thankful of our Freedom and the ability to do the things we can and like to do.
    Also a few demos, classes, tour of hammocks etc The Park is nice, big and has lots to do at your leisure if would rather strike or blaze your own trails. Hiking, fishing, horse trials etc > https://www.ncparks.gov/morrow-mountain-state-park

Running water with heated bath house, showers etc FYI: Not good cell service at the campsite
    Some cell service is spotty but on top of the overlook and or in the towns of Badin, Albemarle you can get cell service there.
    Ask us anything if we've missed anything but come and hang with us. https://www.facebook.com/Tarheel-Sta...6227537419857/
    MooseMan
    North Carolina
    "It is easier to prevent bad habits than to break them" <Ben Franklin>

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Where is the group camping within the park? Sorry if I missed this.

I’ve got family in town so won’t stay overnight but may come over to say hey.

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    Sounds cool but I will be cooking for family that weekend mite have to come down there some time and check it out.
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast