Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
I like your setup as it looks like the open end of your dog's shelter faces the end of your hammock/tarp for some added protection from the elements.

My Lab is too old to get out with me these days but in his prime, we've been out in overnight temps into the 20's & he's been fine and that was without any kind of sweater or shelter other than being underneath my hammock. However, he does have his own ground pad so he doesn't have to sleep on the cold ground.

Labs have a fairly thick undercoat that helps regulate their body temps and it keeps their skin dry even when swimming. Below 20 degrees is where I've read they start feeling it's cold & can be uncomfortable. Labs can get overheated too, which I found out (almost the hard way) a few years ago, so you have to watch out for that too.

BTW, while growing up in AL back in the '70's my dad, brothers & I did quite a bit of backpacking in the Cohutta Wilderness Area.
Thanks, that makes me feel better since I'm already bringing the pad and bed you see there for him. Maybe a fleece sweater he already has will be enough.

The shelter you see is the dutchware pup tent with the bugnet pulled aside. Once he got used to it, it's worked perfectly and has even been thru a rain storm keeping him dry and safe. I'd recommend putting boots on dogs otherwise they might put holes in the bug mesh with their claws.