Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I just hopped on to report on the Ruffwear Highlands Landing pad that I picked up today at Bob Wards for $17 and change. Then I noticed the above pics with the Landing Pad being used. A dog late and a dollar short ;-) Anyway +1 on the LP from Ruffwear....when it is on sale. The reason I am extra excited about this is because I normally roll my CC foam dog pad as a pack liner. The LP will work great for this too because it is light weight and easily conforms to the pack sides. Or you can fold it up if that is your thing. Plus it has the exterior shell which my previous DIY CC pad didn't. Belle says yes to comfort.

Hammock
    RR, HH Safari Deluxe, NX 150, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly and Noah
    Insulation
    pad and quilt top
    Suspension
    straps
    Lost my 9th Lab at age 13 awhile back and have a new 7 month old full size female poodle and my plan is to train her to use a foam pad in the boat, canoe, raft, truck, car and camping. Shelter will be as needed/ appropriate for conditions probably using a GI poncho with a stick or hiking pole to hold up center/edge and rocks (we have lots and would say to anyone needing rocks...help yourself) or stakes on the corners. A little rope and shock cord as needed which worked for Labs.

Over the years most of my dogs have never wanted shelter and prefer to sleep outside tents but usually under a tarp...not sure how the new pup will react but she is kennel trained at home. Most dogs just want to be close by and we have a wolf/bear problem too depending upon location. Good luck with your dogs!!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Dutchwaregear
    Insulation
    Wiggy!
    Suspension
    Becket - Dynaweave
    My Jack Russel (22lbs) perfers to sleep with me in the hammock but he has to be dead tired... otherwise he all ears and barking...

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    First thing I did was swap gear, my boys carry the gear that I need to get to quickly and I carry their stuff.
    I used to take my German Shepard with me all the time but now once it hits zero he stays at home, I take my Siberian Husky with me till it gets to 70 at night, then he stays home, anything below minus 20 I leave them both at home (until I get my smokehouse). half the time to husky digs a hole and crashes outside of the comfy warm bed I have made him.

They get higher calorie meals when we are out no matter the time of year.
    During spring and fall
    They have a footprint made out of tyvek, it is in the bathtub style that way their pads do not slid off onto the ground and get wet, it is also stacked out. Their pads have been just a piece of closed cell foam and a piece of reflextic that I put in a home made sleeve. They have down alternative blankets that I use when it shouldn't rain or be to wet, if it is going to get wet I have some old fleece blankets they get. Because they are both long haired this gets the Shepard easily down to 30 to 20 degrees. They also get any of the insulation that I am not using while I am sleeping(jackets to long underwear, if I am not using it I have it tucked around them.

Winter
    I usually have a polk during the winter so it is completely different. underneath them is outdoor rug piece that I put the tyvek on so it doesn't slid around (also gives me a spot to step to get out) they get their ccf and reflextic pad and then they get an blow up pad, then fleece and wool, and again any insulation I am not using they get to have.

Biggest thing is I always set up my tarp to windbreak and I am very low to the ground then so that I can reach over in the night and touch them and readjust their insulation!
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    2 Hennessy Explorers 1-Bottom,1-zip
    Tarp
    Stock (both)
    Insulation
    Ensolite & HGUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, Cinchbug
    Since you are from NOLA, what is your definition of cold weather? Is it 40-50d, 10-20d? if the latter, then you need something a bit more protective, but if the former, then simply a fleece blanket. These animals are adept to fighting off cooler weather and are built to curl up to conserve as much heat as possible. But a nice blanket the he\she can lay on and have it wrap over would probably work well. If the latter, I think an old piece of ensolite would work especially if it is in 3 pieces that you could duct tape together a floor and 2 walls, creating a corner, that he or she can snug into (I carry about 8-10' of tape on an old snapped off pencil) . In the AM, just untape the ensolite and pack up. Relfectix works as well, but you should sand it so that your dog doesn't simply slide off it.

Oh wow, I didn't even know all these options even existed for dogs!! I take my Miles with me on my hiking/backpacking trips and he sleeps in my hammock with me. I think he would legit claw his way out of any shelter if I tried to make him sleep separate from me. He wants to be next to me at ALL times. He's small but mighty, so he works PERFECT as the best little trail dog and small-size hammock-heater. :-) Here's him snuggling with me:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 6.14.22 PM.png

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Medicpathetic View Post
    I need something warm for him to sleep on but it has to be lightweight and packable. Does anyone have any recommendations? I could build him a hotbed when we get there but it's a lot of work and time consuming so I have already ruled that out as a possibility.

Thanks in advance...
    My Chow would be comfortable in the hammock at 65-lbs at the foot end with a suitable wool blanket over the foot end.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Quote Originally Posted by leeennddaa View Post
    Oh wow, I didn't even know all these options even existed for dogs!! I take my Miles with me on my hiking/backpacking trips and he sleeps in my hammock with me. I think he would legit claw his way out of any shelter if I tried to make him sleep separate from me. He wants to be next to me at ALL times. He's small but mighty, so he works PERFECT as the best little trail dog and small-size hammock-heater. :-) Here's him snuggling with me:
    Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 6.14.22 PM.png
    Oh, my heart. What an adorable pup. My dog sleeps below my hammock and periodically will nose tap me through the night to make sure I'm still there and not sleeping too soundly.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Wanted to get some other folks' thoughts. My dog is ~70 lb lab without much fat on him. See below picture for the current sleep system I have for him. Planning ahead for some winter trips I'm thinking of getting a synthetic throw off ebay and making something like this for him https://www.groundbirdgear.com/store...Top_Quilt.html.

Anybody have a rough guess on how cold short haired dogs like labs could go with the ground insulation alone? Has anyone tried something similar with a quilt for your pup?

Edit for clarity: winter in GA, so 20* lows is probably the bottom of the barrel in terms of cold.
    Last edited by Hang Williams; 12-13-2021 at 22:26.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I like your setup as it looks like the open end of your dog's shelter faces the end of your hammock/tarp for some added protection from the elements.

My Lab is too old to get out with me these days but in his prime, we've been out in overnight temps into the 20's & he's been fine and that was without any kind of sweater or shelter other than being underneath my hammock. However, he does have his own ground pad so he doesn't have to sleep on the cold ground.

Labs have a fairly thick undercoat that helps regulate their body temps and it keeps their skin dry even when swimming. Below 20 degrees is where I've read they start feeling it's cold & can be uncomfortable. Labs can get overheated too, which I found out (almost the hard way) a few years ago, so you have to watch out for that too.

BTW, while growing up in AL back in the '70's my dad, brothers & I did quite a bit of backpacking in the Cohutta Wilderness Area.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast