Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My old camping companion( Lucy the red heeler ), was a champion camp guard,refusing to curl up in or under any protection,instead she constantly circled the camp site on full alert .My current camping companion ( Dingus the red Heeler) is also a champion camp guard,but he will lay and stay where I tell him.
    An insulated mat is the best I can get by with for him though,he doesn’t want covered with a blanket or anything that impedes him

Hammock
    Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend
    Resurrecting the dead thread.
    Im having the same problem as the OP except I've tried quite a few things and nothing has been satisfactory. I have a 117 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback that gets cold very easily. Everything I've tried has failed so I have to take my Zpacks Duplex when he goes. Im working on an idea like someone else mentioned in this thread. Kinda like the pup tent but with an open front.
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I use a variety of methods. Summertime she prefers to be out and about and roll her own accommodations. A lead is a must at night due to wolves and coyotes. She could hold her own against the bears since she is highly maneuverable, aka border collie. I have tyvek backed fleece DIY pad with stake pockets; I have a cut down TR Zrest that I also use as a pack liner, i.e. it goes in first to form a cylinder that everything else packs into. I have a DIY pyramid pup tent similar to that Dutch product. My favorite tent is an Alcott pup tent off Amazon that is light weight, has bug netting, I can substitute a suspended X made of arrow shafts if I don't want to take the fiberglass poles. At the price I paid for it I we can abuse it or lose it.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodNinja View Post
    Resurrecting the dead thread.
    Im having the same problem as the OP except I've tried quite a few things and nothing has been satisfactory. I have a 117 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback that gets cold very easily. Everything I've tried has failed so I have to take my Zpacks Duplex when he goes. Im working on an idea like someone else mentioned in this thread. Kinda like the pup tent but with an open front.

On this campout last month, I hung one from each end of my hammock. More often, though, I run a separate ridgeline under my tarp a few feet lower than my tarp ridgeline and offset about 18” from my hammock and hang both pup tents from that, as well as clipping their leads to the “dog” ridgeline. That is my preferred set up, but just clipping one to each CL of my hammock is my quick and dirty set up.

My 105 pound German Shepherd doesn’t like being completely closed in, so the three sided wind/rain break and the CCF accordion folding dog pad is all he needs to be comfortable in the winter. (Shown in the picture above is my 70 pound GSD 5 month old pup that I also brought along last month.) I’ve been using these DIY pup tents for about four years now and they are no worse for the wear. Made them out of scrap remnant tarp material. They cost me about $8 apiece in material. For a while I used blue WalMart CCF for their pads, but now days I use the Ruffwear Highland Pads. These pads fold up small enough to both fit in the bigger dog’s backpack along with both tents, the needed 6 stakes, the ridgeline and food enough for both dogs for 3 days. None of the dog stuff goes in my own pack. Once the pup is big enough to fit the second dog backpack (used by my previous 2 female shepherds), she will start helping carry her share of the load.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Sparrow/Darien
    Tarp
    Palace/WinterDream
    Insulation
    Nunatak/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Spider/J-Bend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post

On this campout last month, I hung one from each end of my hammock. More often, though, I run a separate ridgeline under my tarp a few feet lower than my tarp ridgeline and offset about 18” from my hammock and hang both pup tents from that, as well as clipping their leads to the “dog” ridgeline. That is my preferred set up, but just clipping one to each CL of my hammock is my quick and dirty set up.

My 105 pound German Shepherd doesn’t like being completely closed in, so the three sided wind/rain break and the CCF accordion folding dog pad is all he needs to be comfortable in the winter. (Shown in the picture above is my 70 pound GSD 5 month old pup that I also brought along last month.) I’ve been using these DIY pup tents for about four years now and they are no worse for the wear. Made them out of scrap remnant tarp material. They cost me about $8 apiece in material. For a while I used blue WalMart CCF for their pads, but now days I use the Ruffwear Highland Pads. These pads fold up small enough to both fit in the bigger dog’s backpack along with both tents, the needed 6 stakes, the ridgeline and food enough for both dogs for 3 days. None of the dog stuff goes in my own pack. Once the pup is big enough to fit the second dog backpack (used by my previous 2 female shepherds), she will start helping carry her share of the load.
    This is a lot like what I had envisioned. I like your idea of a separate Ridgeline.
    Instagram: @tralenoutdoors

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My dog Sam has a pup tent but will not use it. Would rather curl up under my hammock so he can wake me whenever he gets up ( 130 lbs Lab/Great Dane mix )
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by NeighborhoodNinja View Post
    This is a lot like what I had envisioned. I like your idea of a separate Ridgeline.
    Yes, it works best with a separate ridgeline, plus that makes a great place for me to hang my jacket and shoes under my tarp, in easy reach while sitting in my hammock. The pup tent is quite easy to make...I simply sewed two of the adjacent sides together. The resultant seam runs down the middle of the tent floor. I clip a backpack carabiner (from Dutchweargear) on top of the tent (easily repositionable—doesn’t pierce the tarp) and suspend it with elastic cordage either from the CL of my hammock or from the dedicated dog ridgeline. The floor stakes out in a triangle.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dublinlin; 02-04-2020 at 10:26.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware UL Xenon
    Insulation
    Loco Libre UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Spider Straps
    I have the Dutch Pup Tent, and my dawg Crash loves it. I put in a mover's pad in the bottom for him to lie on and he's a happy dawg.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dublinlin View Post
    Nice setup & well thought out... me likey.

My Lab is like your Shepherd & doesn't like to be closed in & I've just relied on him using his ground pad & hunkering down under the tarp. Plus when he's on guard, I like him to be free to roam around if he wants. I'm not worried about him running off, but I would like him to have somewhere to retreat to if he needs or wants to. Your setup looks light weight & like a problem solved. 👍

I've used a small 4x4 tarp pitched in a quick diamond pitch for my dog. It's his little dog cave. Protects from wind and rain. He prefers to sleep in my tent with me (yes, I'm one of those ground dwellers trying to make hammocking work). Anyway, a light silpoly of that size will weigh about 4 ounces and cost you less than $15 with material from Ripstop and is a fun diy project if you have a sewing machine.
    Additionally, it can double as a rain skirt (I have a 6 x6 square tarp for my rain cape that can also double as a quick and easy set up for my pooch). A few squares of ccf will work great for ground insulation, although even under 30 and my dog rarely stays on his pad.
    Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast