Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles

Suspension suggestion

I am buying two hammocks in the spring. I'm a newbie that has a plan to hike the AT in 2028, so I'm playing with gear now, trying to piece something together. My plan for now is to get a Darien with whoopie slings b/c they are super easy and super light. But I worry a/b the capability to hang in trees less than 15 feet apart with this suspension system. So my other hammock will be a Chameleon, but I'm not sure about the suspension. Dutch has so much to offer and I don't quite understand them all. I need something simple like the whoopies but light weight as well. Any suggestions?
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    It really depends on what you consider to be lightweight, but I personally use daisy chain straps, even for long distance backpacking trips. In my opinion they are not that heavy (as previously stated,even for backpacking) and they let me hang with many different distances. Also, I don’t know where you are, but there are not many places in the US I can think of where there wouldn’t be two trees within 15’ of each other (especially on the AT).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”
    -John Muir

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear 11'
    Tarp
    Adventuridge 12'
    Insulation
    Chill Gorilla UQ
    Suspension
    Daisy Chains
    And good luck with your thru hike. I am planning to thru hike the AT as well as soon as I graduate college (class of 2028 as well, actually).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.”
    -John Muir

Images
    If you did want to use daisy chains, per above, check out Dutch's mantis hardware to go with them - definitely lighter than a carabiner. His Spider daisy chains are about as light as that style of webbing gets.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/mantis-pair/
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/sp...chain-webbing/

Lightest option is to tie your tree strap directly to the CL of the hammock using a Becket hitch, J-bend, or Lapp hitch. You have plenty of time to learn these and become comfortable with them.

Not lightest, but another of the simplest options is Dutch's Beetle Buckles on his Spider/Poly straps. These adjust very easily and can be tightened all the way back to the trees, unlike whoopies. They also have the advantage of easily detaching from the hammock CLs so you can pack your straps separately from the hammock if you wish.
    https://dutchwaregear.com/product/be...uckle-hardware

There are loads of other options too. And who knows what innovations the next 8 years will bring.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-06-2019 at 19:57.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End---1.6 Hexon D
    Tarp
    HG Journey (11')
    Insulation
    DIY w/ CDTs
    Suspension
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Lightest option is to tie your tree strap directly to the CL of the hammock using a Becket hitch, J-bend, or Lapp hitch. You have plenty of time to learn these and become comfortable with them.
    I'm a big fan of the Lapp hitch. Currently using it (in my indoor rig) with repurposed ratchet straps from Harbor Freight. To be fair, I also have a short whoopie at the foot end for fine tuning in cases where the trees are farther apart than the wall hooks in the "hammock lab."

Here's a link to a video on the Lapp hitch, in case it should prove useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfdZkrWw1ro

Whatever you choose for your suspension, good luck with your thru hike. 2028? I hope I can still walk then!

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Continuous loops/whoopies > MSH > tree straps. Dutch's spider 1.5 is spendy but super light.

You can string the fixed end of whoopies directly to the hammock along with the continuous loops giving you the most flexibility at minor weight penalty of a a few grams when using the whoopies. The loops can be attached directly when space is tight and provide a handy way to hold the hammock to relieve tension with one hand while adjusting the whoopies. Add webbing tree straps suitable for your area with a marlin spike hitch for a simple and fully adjustable system.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr 3.0
    Tarp
    Amok
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 LW
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    But I worry a/b the capability to hang in trees less than 15 feet apart with this suspension system.
    why?

if the spacing is closer, you can use whoopie at one end, and just use your continuous loop to the tree strap on the other side

you don't HAVE To use whoopies on both sides ever, if you don't want to

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    I am buying two hammocks in the spring. I'm a newbie that has a plan to hike the AT in 2028, so I'm playing with gear now, trying to piece something together. My plan for now is to get a Darien with whoopie slings b/c they are super easy and super light. But I worry a/b the capability to hang in trees less than 15 feet apart with this suspension system. So my other hammock will be a Chameleon, but I'm not sure about the suspension. Dutch has so much to offer and I don't quite understand them all. I need something simple like the whoopies but light weight as well. Any suggestions?
    Forget Dutch. Big turn off to newcomers. They make setting up a stinking hammock like it;s open heart surgery. Whoopies are the best bet. Unless your putting them as payload on a rocket to orbit, the weight will be nil.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Just get out and camp, don't worry about it too much, by the time 2028 gets here we will probably have nano-string suspensions or hammocks will be a than of the past as we enjoy our anti-gravity field sleeping systems.

Hammock
    SLD TL, DW Chameleon, Haven XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    HG, UGQ, CDT clew
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    FWIW; I started with daisy chains, didn't have a hammock with a continuous ridge line, and wasn't satisfied with my hangs. Moved on to a SLD TL double layer and Chameleon.

SLD TL is running continuous loops with integrated cinch buckles on the hammock, Dutch Poly/Spider straps with MT evo loops at the tree.

Chameleon is using MT continuous loops with DW Beetle buckles and UHMWPE straps and MT evo loops.

I find both setups to be light enough for me. Distance is not an issue, setup is easy enough continuous ridge line helps a ton. Adjustability is infinite, making it easy to get the perfect hang.

I'm no expert, and continue to research and look at different ideas. Recently bought some turtles from Fugal innovations, (met him at a group hang [nice guy and patient enough to answer all of my questions]). This will likely be part of a UL option in the future.

I like MT idea of using the fixed loop of a whoopie through a gathered end hammock.
    That's my $0.02. Good luck on your through hike.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast