Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Hammock
    wb/dutch/dh
    Insulation
    wooki/loco libre
    Suspension
    spider web 2.0
    For a rain break I just double tie the loop end. It also prevents the becket from inadvertently slipping.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Most my hammocks have a loop at the end and a ring in the loop. That way I can attach suspension du jour to the ring. I started with the line on my Hennessy, but never tied that HH knot. Following a YouTube video, I saw the "two ring" method of holding/pinching the line. I bought some climbing webbing for a strap around the tree - just tied any old knot (square, figure 8, water, etc.) and clipped on a carabiner that held the two rings (per end). I think that last time I used that method was when I left the webbing, two carabiners, and for repel rings (total $20) hanging on trees on Pirate's Cove. Note to "treasure" hunters: I went back five years later and the gear was gone (pirate's cove is a very popular kayak destination). Then I switched to webbing and buckles and used them for a while as I timidly learned to work with Amsteel.

After making loops, dog bones, soft shackles and finally whoopies, my last task - that I have to review every time I need to use the technique - is to make an "eye" with access to only one end of the line. I had a brief experience with whoopies and then moved to the simplicity of daisy chain. But I'd find myself wanting a "half step" adjustment so added the amsteel loop that I can fold so it adjusts the distance about half a chain loop.

These days I walk up to the tree candidates, put the daisy chain (initially python straps but now I have lighter options) around the tree (about head high), and clip the hammock in an estimated link. Note that I'm connecting the end of the hammock that is sticking out of its double ended stuff sack. I walk toward the other tree, feeding the hammock out of its sack so it doesn't touch the ground, and clip into the chain on the other side. Then I look at it. Does the bottom of the hammock need to be higher/lower? Does the tension on the ridge line need to be more or less? So those adjustments, if necessary, and made and I sit in the hammock and lay back (without bringing my shoes in) as a final check. If it's good, I attach the UQ between the hammock and UQP (I keep the UQP on the hammock) and put the TQ in the hammock. Then I set up the tarp. I know, I know ... tarp first. But if it isn't raining, it is just easier for me to set up the hammock without ducking under the tarp. And after the hammock is set, it's easier to rig the tarp in the best position than it is to change the hammock. I use a continuous ridge line for the tarp rigged so it's like an old-time laundry line with pulley's at each end. I don't have pulleys but I can pull on the line and slide the tarp left or right a little as required. Note that the trees here (PNW) have armor plated Ponderosa Pine bark - not the paper thin stuff of other trees.

I carry collapsible poles and put one or both on the tarp for porch mode. At night, I might take off one pole and before bed check to tarp over, making sure to pooling water has a place to spill - that's not in my shoes. For example - here's an mistake/learning example - I had my shoes next to the hammock ready for a night time walk to a tree (not far, probably the tree the hammock is hanging one). And I put the tarp broadside to the wind because, you know, it provides blockage. But I underestimated the strength of the wind and it blew the tarp against the side of the hammock. That dumped any water that had accumulated on the tarp down on my shoes. So see - a little mistake. But now I pay more attention to where I put my shoes and I'm more prone to set up so the wind if blowing parallel to the tarp. The aerodynamics cause lift that pulls the sides away from the hammock rather than pushing the tarp into the hammock. The trees at the hammock ends and doors or "half doors" (thinking of WB MiniFly/ThunderFly) block even more.

Because you mentioned "lighter" a few times, do understand that lighter gear isn't like regular gear but just lighter (and more expensive). It usually also isn't as robust. That can be important if you are going to be away from replacements for a few days - or if others who may come in contact with your gear don't appreciate the difference between a 1.1oz single layer hammock and a 1.7 oz double layer.

If car camping (or kayak camping ) weight is pretty much insignificant. If hiking less than 15 miles a day, a couple more pounds probably won't be a deterrent. Especially because the term Ultralite should be spelled with dollar signs ($Ultrlite$). There are so many other aspects of your gear - what kind of stove, what kind and how much fuel. And how much food, water, wine, chocolate - those important essentials (note, time to revise the "Ten Essentials". They should include something that inspires a will to live - like a square of good dark chocolate, a photo of a loved one [two or four footed], etc.)

Bring your watch and note the time for various camp endeavors. That way you can focus on optimizing the things that count. For example, as a programmer I once cut the execution time of a process in half. It was a report that ran once a month. I cut it down from 10 seconds to 5 seconds and was pretty happy with my effort. I showed it to my supervisor and he said, "We run this once a month and it only takes 10 seconds ... How much time did you spend on making it faster? (delivered with an eye roll). So it's important to identify the most abusive "time grabbers" first. Also keep an eye out for things your companions can do to participate and hopefully make the setup go faster. Note that sometimes a little extra weight - a tiny amount - can save time. Like using snakeskins on your tarp.

Kids need to learn responsibility and these days we seem to have far too few opportunities for them to take on little tasks - that they fully "own" - and, allowing for them to get it wrong a few times, let them take charge of that endeavor. So maybe they can help pick out the site - learn what to look for. Or manage one end of the suspension - handing it to you when it's out of reach because you are holding the hammock or tarp in your hands so it doesn't touch the ground. You can play "The ground is lava" with respect to the tarp and hammock. So you can put it up and take it down with nothing touching the ground (always amazes my tent friends).

There are lighter hammocks than the HH, and maybe, because they are larger, they would be more comfortable. I and others started out with HH Expedition. It was fine as it was and got me started. These days, especially if I don't know the tree situation, I take the WB Blackbird because it gives me the most comfort with the smallest tree distance. If I know I'll have plenty of trees (i.e. good spacing), I'll take one of the 11 ft'ers. For day hikes, I'd take a simple DutchWare hammock, an asymmetrical tarp for a sun shield, summer weight TQ/UQ (again, UQP is on the hammock). A lot of choices depend on if I've been to the destination before and/or know what I'm going find - tree-wise - when I get there.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-09-2019 at 18:30.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Cougarmeat, you sound a lot like me. I really appreciate all of your advice and help. I want to go light, but I need comfort as well. I won't sacrifice comfort for grams. I think once I find a setup I like, I'll keep it. I want so desperately for my boys to join me in this endeavor, so I'm trying to piece together my own gear and get it under control and comfort so then I can concentrate on their setup. I think they will have so much fun setting up their own hammock, picking the trees, starting a fire...the whole thing. But I have to get myself ready first. I think I'm set now though. I want a Darien with whoopies and a Chameleon with evo's. Then I've got the best of both world's. I will also keep up on some simple knots in case I need them.
    I had a teacher conference out of town a few weeks ago and all of the teachers got a hotel....but not me! I got a tree! They thought I was absolutely insane! But how could u choose waking up in a potentially bug infested bed in a stuffy hotel room over a blanket of stars and a field of 20 deer?! Just sayin'! And I felt such an accomplishment for making my own fire and cooking my own food as opposed to a buffet of donuts and sugary cereal.
    So my dream is to introduce this to my 2 boys this summer (my 3rd son is already a scout) and have them as addicted as I am. It's an expensive hobby, but I just can't get enough of it! I think when I go to hike the AT in 2028, I won't ever come off of the trail!
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Suspension suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    I had a teacher conference out of town a few weeks ago and all of the teachers got a hotel....but not me! I got a tree! They thought I was absolutely insane!
    Lol, that’s perfectly normal if you ask us! I can only imagine the gossip being spread over there about that “insane teacher”!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >I had a teacher conference out of town a few weeks ago and all of the teachers got a hotel....but not me! I got a tree!

You are in good company in this forum. Your choice would be considered Normal here; even applaudatory. My friends know that when we walk though a groove of trees, and they are looking for birds or squirrels or flowers, I am looking at the spacing between trees. They just roll their eyes. But they have never failed to accept and invitation for a hammock rest (or sitting in the hammock instead of on the ground) once I set one up.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-11-2019 at 14:12.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    >I had a teacher conference out of town a few weeks ago and all of the teachers got a hotel....but not me! I got a tree!

You are in good company in this forum. You choice would be considered Normal here; even applaudatory. My friends know that when we walk though a groove of trees, and they are looking for birds or squirrels or flowers, I am looking at the spacing between trees. They just roll their eyes. But they have never failed to accept and invitation for a hammock rest (or sitting in the hammock instead of on the ground) once I set one up.
    Oh my goodness! I do the same thing! I'm actually jealous of the neighbors trees and have actually entertained the thought of sneaking over there in the middle of the night to hang! Lol! I can't look at trees ANYWHERE without mentally measuring the distance and possible hang factor! Glad to hear I'M the normal one.
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    WBRR/ Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cloudburst/ Borg
    Insulation
    Ridgecreek
    Suspension
    Many
    I’d go ahead and start hanging with your boys, don’t wait to be perfect. The lessons learned are invaluable.

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Most my hammocks have a loop at the end and a ring in the loop. That way I can attach suspension du jour to the ring. I started with the line on my Hennessy, but never tied that HH knot. Following a YouTube video, I saw the "two ring" method of holding/pinching the line. I bought some climbing webbing for a strap around the tree - just tied any old knot (square, figure 8, water, etc.) and clipped on a carabiner that held the two rings (per end). I think that last time I used that method was when I left the webbing, two carabiners, and for repel rings (total $20) hanging on trees on Pirate's Cove. Note to "treasure" hunters: I went back five years later and the gear was gone (pirate's cove is a very popular kayak destination). Then I switched to webbing and buckles and used them for a while as I timidly learned to work with Amsteel.

After making loops, dog bones, soft shackles and finally whoopies, my last task - that I have to review every time I need to use the technique - is to make an "eye" with access to only one end of the line. I had a brief experience with whoopies and then moved to the simplicity of daisy chain. But I'd find myself wanting a "half step" adjustment so added the amsteel loop that I can fold so it adjusts the distance about half a chain loop.

These days I walk up to the tree candidates, put the daisy chain (initially python straps but now I have lighter options) around the tree (about head high), and clip the hammock in an estimated link. Note that I'm connecting the end of the hammock that is sticking out of its double ended stuff sack. I walk toward the other tree, feeding the hammock out of its sack so it doesn't touch the ground, and clip into the chain on the other side. Then I look at it. Does the bottom of the hammock need to be higher/lower? Does the tension on the ridge line need to be more or less? So those adjustments, if necessary, and made and I sit in the hammock and lay back (without bringing my shoes in) as a final check. If it's good, I attach the UQ between the hammock and UQP (I keep the UQP on the hammock) and put the TQ in the hammock. Then I set up the tarp. I know, I know ... tarp first. But if it isn't raining, it is just easier for me to set up the hammock without ducking under the tarp. And after the hammock is set, it's easier to rig the tarp in the best position than it is to change the hammock. I use a continuous ridge line for the tarp rigged so it's like an old-time laundry line with pulley's at each end. I don't have pulleys but I can pull on the line and slide the tarp left or right a little as required. Note that the trees here (PNW) have armor plated Ponderosa Pine bark - not the paper thin stuff of other trees.

I carry collapsible poles and put one or both on the tarp for porch mode. At night, I might take off one pole and before bed check to tarp over, making sure to pooling water has a place to spill - that's not in my shoes. For example - here's an mistake/learning example - I had my shoes next to the hammock ready for a night time walk to a tree (not far, probably the tree the hammock is hanging one). And I put the tarp broadside to the wind because, you know, it provides blockage. But I underestimated the strength of the wind and it blew the tarp against the side of the hammock. That dumped any water that had accumulated on the tarp down on my shoes. So see - a little mistake. But now I pay more attention to where I put my shoes and I'm more prone to set up so the wind if blowing parallel to the tarp. The aerodynamics cause lift that pulls the sides away from the hammock rather than pushing the tarp into the hammock. The trees at the hammock ends and doors or "half doors" (thinking of WB MiniFly/ThunderFly) block even more.

Because you mentioned "lighter" a few times, do understand that lighter gear isn't like regular gear but just lighter (and more expensive). It usually also isn't as robust. That can be important if you are going to be away from replacements for a few days - or if others who may come in contact with your gear don't appreciate the difference between a 1.1oz single layer hammock and a 1.7 oz double layer.

If car camping (or kayak camping ) weight is pretty much insignificant. If hiking less than 15 miles a day, a couple more pounds probably won't be a deterrent. Especially because the term Ultralite should be spelled with dollar signs ($Ultrlite$). There are so many other aspects of your gear - what kind of stove, what kind and how much fuel. And how much food, water, wine, chocolate - those important essentials (note, time to revise the "Ten Essentials". They should include something that inspires a will to live - like a square of good dark chocolate, a photo of a loved one [two or four footed], etc.)

Bring your watch and note the time for various camp endeavors. That way you can focus on optimizing the things that count. For example, as a programmer I once cut the execution time of a process in half. It was a report that ran once a month. I cut it down from 10 seconds to 5 seconds and was pretty happy with my effort. I showed it to my supervisor and he said, "We run this once a month and it only takes 10 seconds ... How much time did you spend on making it faster? (delivered with an eye roll). So it's important to identify the most abusive "time grabbers" first. Also keep an eye out for things your companions can do to participate and hopefully make the setup go faster. Note that sometimes a little extra weight - a tiny amount - can save time. Like using snakeskins on your tarp.

Kids need to learn responsibility and these days we seem to have far too few opportunities for them to take on little tasks - that they fully "own" - and, allowing for them to get it wrong a few times, let them take charge of that endeavor. So maybe they can help pick out the site - learn what to look for. Or manage one end of the suspension - handing it to you when it's out of reach because you are holding the hammock or tarp in your hands so it doesn't touch the ground. You can play "The ground is lava" with respect to the tarp and hammock. So you can put it up and take it down with nothing touching the ground (always amazes my tent friends).

There are lighter hammocks than the HH, and maybe, because they are larger, they would be more comfortable. I and others started out with HH Expedition. It was fine as it was and got me started. These days, especially if I don't know the tree situation, I take the WB Blackbird because it gives me the most comfort with the smallest tree distance. If I know I'll have plenty of trees (i.e. good spacing), I'll take one of the 11 ft'ers. For day hikes, I'd take a simple DutchWare hammock, an asymmetrical tarp for a sun shield, summer weight TQ/UQ (again, UQP is on the hammock). A lot of choices depend on if I've been to the destination before and/or know what I'm going find - tree-wise - when I get there.
    This was a lot to read but I couldn't stop. I felt like I was reading my hammock bio lol! Starting with a HH. Your evolution of suspensions. Descending rings, learning about amsteel, and how to weave it properly.This was almost exactly my journey as well.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345