Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hey mab0852 - I'm interested in that spreadsheet you mentioned. Please to share?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    ATGIRL2028 - Your daisy chain can be the simplest if you have a ridge line on your hammock to let you know when you have the right separation between ends. But I understand that sometimes the jump from one chain loop to the next - a 4 to 6 inch change depending upon the chain manufacturer - can be too big a step, adjustment-wise. I have an small (about 8 inches) amsteel loop I can double or triple up to make a "half step" between the daisy chain loops if I have to. However, in the near future I will probably go back to webbing for a while and see if the continuous adjustment (with buckles and webbing) is necessary.

Whoopie slings are fun - working with Amsteel and making your own loops, dog bones, shackles, etc. But the downside on the whoopie sling is it adds additional distance overhead between the trees. The closer the trees can be, the more hanging options you have - though usually it's the tarp ridge line length that dictates the tree distance. I just found working with whoopies too fussy. For me, there is aways some tweak/adjustment after the hammock is initially hung. With whoopies, that means holding one one of the hammock under my arm to take the tension off, then milking the bury to loosen it, slide and adjustment and retighten the bury. Much easy to just clip into the next daisy chain loop.

But - you need to play with these things to find what works for you. I HIGHLY recommend, if possible, going out by yourself on short overnight trips or even setting up in a park for a picnic. The deal is, when you aren't responsible to others on the trip, you have more latitude to experiment and make mistakes. And you have to make mistakes because that's how you learn.

Sometimes people don't understand learning - I could go off on today's millennials and say our generation made the transistor, lasers, computers. We didn't buy Apps - we wrote them ourselves, etc. etc. I play chess. And I have lost far, far more games than I've won. But I try to learn something with each loss.

Once I was solo kayak camping and a curious person at the launch point interrupted my packing to ask a question. I was packing the food at the time and in the change of focus, I forget to grab the topping for my rice. So instead of a more tasty meal, for three nights I ate plain white rice. But no one else had to suffer because of my mistake and now I ask people not to interrupt when I'm in the middle of something.

In earlier years, I grabbed a tent out of it's bucket and 7 miles into the camp site, I discovered that I only had the outer fly and poles. I was able to rig up a rain shelter with that. Mistakes = Learning. It's great.

But if you are taking kids, you want them to have a good time so you go with what is known and don't have as much experimentation. Without the logistic of an actual trip - just going to a park, judging tree distance with your eyes (and perhaps using a tape measure to verify your guesses) is all learning. One friend laments that she is a bit helpless in setting up her (my!) Ridge Runner. I've suggested she go to the park and set it up, take it down about five times in a row. But she won't; because she doesn't want to "feel bad" the first few times if she gets something wrong. Just a generational thing I guess.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 11-09-2019 at 14:53.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle

Suspension suggestion

I’ll reiterate what others have said about taking your inexperienced family or friends along with you. Chances are they won’t have the same level of motivation as you to learn on their own how to hike and camp properly and be comfortable while doing so. So you will have to play group leader role sometimes with a little coaching and motivating and sometimes picking up the slack. It’s hard to make someone else comfortable before you have figured out how to make yourself comfortable first! Even if you managed to do so, you would risk losing your own motivation because it will be exhausting. So I would recommend going with someone just as motivated, or if possible, someone more experienced at first. Then maybe do a very simple, safe solo trip. Then take the family. Your chances of piquing their interest will be much higher that way.

Back on topic, I have settled on Dutch June Bug buckles and 12’ RSBTR Venom Hybrid tree straps. Buckles are the best compromise IMHO. June Bugs seem like they will be the gentlest to the straps IMO due to its thickness and the large size makes them easier to manipulate as well. Sometimes tiny hardware can be tricky to use with gloves.
    Last edited by HandyRandy; 11-08-2019 at 15:57.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    @ATGIRL: The advice to just get out there and camp is critical. What you value in gear is entirely dictated by your experience using that gear. If you have no experience, then you have no way to value your gear either.

You're asking questions of a technical nature which have technical answers. However, those things may not matter to you when boots hit the trail. Even a single weekend backpack trip will teach you more than all of these forum comments.

Example: "Which suspension is the lightest?"
    Technical Answer: <insert info about strap material>
    Real Answer: It doesn't matter if the weather gets serious, it's getting dark, you can't feel your fingers, and you start panicking because you don't know how to use your own gear.

Different people value different things: money, weight, speed, durability, ease of use, colorz ... etc. The lightest option isn't universally the best. So just pick something simple and get out there and try it. Then you'll know what you like, and more importantly, why.
    I have a Hennessey and I DO go out and camp. I've done it all summer and now I KNOW I want something lighter and quicker. I was asking what the options were from those who have been out there and are more experienced so I can gather information and make an informed decision before I drop money on something I know nothing about. So I consider what I am doing VERY responsible. Much more than just going out and buying things and trying them to see what I like. For me, I know the lightest is the best. I've used otherwise and wasn't happy. I've been in a panicking situation and couldn't get my gear up b/c the suspension was too difficult. I NEED something easier and lighter and simply asked for help. So when I make my final purchase and have a system this spring, I will play with it in local areas, just like I did my Hennessey until I know my gear so when I hit the AT I'm prepared to the best of my ability. Now drop THAT mike!!
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mab0852 View Post
    We have plenty of hangers in Scouting, so you may get to a "group hang" sooner than you think. I won't say I direct my Scouts to places with trees, but let's just say we don't hike in the desert or camp above the tree line. FYI, I'm in two Troups (boy and girl) so I feel you on the time crunch thing, but I do get lot's of hang time as a result. The girls almost exclusively hammock, but occasionally go to ground under a tarp. As you seem to be leaning more toward Amsteel options, I highly recommend you pick up 50 or so feet and a small spool of zing-it to start working on DIY whoopies, loops, and guy lines. Splicing is super easy, and once you learn the basics, its a very versatile skill you may even want to teach your kids/Scouts. If you build your own, you can experiment for a relatively low cost and make changes on the fly. It's not the cheapest cordage in the world, but it's still rope and way cheaper than trying a bunch of dedicated hardware. The other advantage is you'll know how to make repairs in the field (I carry splicing stuff in my repair kit). I have an excel file I can share that covers most of the spliced suspension options and does all the layout math based on your inputs if you are interested.
    That is very sweet, Thank you. I would like to enter the world of DIY, but I just don't have the time right now. I think in a couple of years when my boys start driving themselves to some of their practices, I'll have a little more time for me and time to make things. But until then, I'll enjoy their sports during the day and hang in the back yard at night in my Chameleon

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    ATGIRL2028 - Your daisy chain can be the simplest if you have a ridge line on your hammock to let you know when you have the right separation between ends. But I understand that sometimes the jump from one chain loop to the next - a 4 to 6 inch change depending upon the chain manufacturer - can be too big a step, adjustment-wise. I have an small (about 8 inches) amsteel loop I can double or triple up to make a "half step" between the daisy chain loops if I have to. However, in the near future I will probably go back to webbing for a while and see if the continuous adjustment (with buckles and webbing) is necessary.

Whoopie slings are fun - working with Amsteel and making your own loops, dog bones, shackles, etc. But the downside on the whoopie sling is it adds additional distance overhead between the trees. The closer the trees can be, the more hanging options you have - though usually it's the tarp ridge line length that dictates the tree distance. I just found working with whoopies too fussy. For me, there is aways some tweak/adjustment after the hammock is initially hung. With whoopies, that means holding one one of the hammock under my arm to take the tension off, then milking the bury to loosen it, slide and adjustment and retighten the bury. Much easy to just clip into the next daisy chain loop.

But - you need to play with these things to find what works for you. I HIGHLY recommend, if possible, going out by yourself on short overnight trips or even setting up in a park for a picnic. The deal is, when you aren't responsible to others on the trip, you have more latitude to experiment and make mistakes. And you have to make mistakes because that's how you learn.

Sometimes people don't understand learning - I could go off on today's millennials and say our generation make the transistor, lasers, computers. We didn't buy Apps - we wrote them ourselves, etc. etc. I play chess. And I have lost far, far more games than I've won. But I try to learn something with each loss.

Once I was solo kayak camping and a curious person at the launch point interrupted my packing to ask a question. I was packing the food at the time and in the change of focus, I forget to grab the topping for my rice. So instead of a more tasty meal, for three nights I ate plain white rice. But no one else had to suffer because of my mistake and now I ask people not to interrupt when I'm in the middle of something.

In earlier years, I grabbed a tent out of it's bucket and 7 miles into the camp site, I discovered that I only had the outer fly and poles. I was able to rig up a rain shelter with that. Mistakes = Learning. It's great.

But if you are taking kids, you want them to have a good time so you go with what is known and don't have as much experimentation. Without the logistic of an actual trip - just going to a park, judging tree distance with your eyes (and perhaps using a tape measure to verify your guesses) is all learning. One friend laments that she is a bit helpless in setting up her (my!) Ridge Runner. I've suggested she go to the park and set it up, take it down about five times in a row. But she won't; because she doesn't want to "feel bad" the first few times if she gets something wrong. Just a generational thing I guess.
    I couldn't agree more. I teach first grade and these millennial parents make me want to pull my hair out! Lol! I completely learn by making mistakes. I get that. And I do practice with my Hennessey every weekend. I hang in the back yard and it took me most of the summer to find that sweet hang by just eyeballing it. So I have no doubt I will do the same when I get my new hammocks. I just like to know what others do, how they use all these different gadgets and then make a decision from there. I teach in a private school, so I don't make much money at all. I want to make sure I spend it on good quality gear that several others have had experience with and enjoyed. Then when I finally purchase it/them, I will make it/them my own and play all summer with it in the back yard and on trips with the fam.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ATGIRL2028 View Post
    I have a Hennessey and I DO go out and camp. I've done it all summer and now I KNOW I want something lighter and quicker.
    Ok, good! I wanted to make sure you were not one of the "from zero-to-AT" types that buy a bunch of junk and commit to through-hiking with no previous experience. Those are the kinds of people that make the news when search and rescue teams have to go pick them up ;-)

So in that case, i just use off-the-shelf 1" polyprop webbing from the hardware store knotted onto a continuous loop. Simple, cheap, no hardware, easily replaced, easily repaired. Previously i used whoopies and before that cinch buckles and caribiners. Hardware was too heavy, and whoopies are too fiddly, especially with cold hands.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Even if technology stood still until 2028, your skills, likes and dislikes will change. What you choose today will evolve to something totally different if you're open to trying various options.

Don't paint yourself into a corner trying to decide.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    wb/dutch/dh
    Insulation
    wooki/loco libre
    Suspension
    spider web 2.0
    Forget all the hardware! Use 15' dyneema straps and a becket hitch, that's all you need!!! everything else is gimmickey and adds to the "fiddle factor". With 15' straps you can setup anywhere along the straps, at only 2oz

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilin View Post
    Forget all the hardware! Use 15' dyneema straps and a becket hitch, that's all you need!!! everything else is gimmickey and adds to the "fiddle factor". With 15' straps you can setup anywhere along the straps, at only 2oz
    The fiddle factor with that setup for me was flattening out the straps around the tree and rain traveling down the suspension wetting my hammock and UQ.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast