Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    also take a look at these: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...pension-option

I started out using whoopies and then dutch spiders and then dutch beetle buckle and then cinch buckles and now using the turtle ties and really like then.
    I'm currently using Dutch Beetle Buckles w/ the straps he sells for it, precisely because I kept running into BWCA situations w/ trees too close. I use my whoopies at home. I don't currently do much hiking....
    But when I do... and I'll want to cut as much weight as possible too... then I'll look at the link Soul Embrace shared. Even before I start much hiking, I'm thinking of setting up a set of Turtle Ties w/ shorter tree straps & Amsteel for the Turtle Ties.... doesn't get much simpler, easier, lighter... but, haven't tried it yet. Will. Just think they look like they would be fast, easy, light.

Turtle Ties Shop at Fugal Innovations

From what he sells... I'd probably get my tree straps from Dutch or other.... Turtle ties and Amsteel setup for the ties from Fugal-Innovations.

As others have said.. hardware-less options like straps w/ becket (and other hitches) are very doable... just haven't gone that route (yet) myself... I like 'bling'

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    Quote Originally Posted by Us5Camp View Post
    Just think they look like they would be fast, easy, light.
    I got my straps from dutch and went with the the spider web huggers and with the 4ft stars and the turtle ties and amsteel from fugal it weighs in at on my scale 2.53oz and with 5ft straps the same set up weighs 2.61oz
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    Chameleon, Netless
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, WB ThFly
    Insulation
    UGQ , HG, WB
    Suspension
    Dutch, Turtle Ties
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    I got my straps from dutch and went with the the spider web huggers and with the 4ft stars and the turtle ties and amsteel from fugal it weighs in at on my scale 2.53oz and with 5ft straps the same set up weighs 2.61oz
    Thanks for the data... that's the setup I was envisioning.

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gooless View Post
    Continuous loops/whoopies > MSH > tree straps. Dutch's spider 1.5 is spendy but super light.

You can string the fixed end of whoopies directly to the hammock along with the continuous loops giving you the most flexibility at minor weight penalty of a a few grams when using the whoopies. The loops can be attached directly when space is tight and provide a handy way to hold the hammock to relieve tension with one hand while adjusting the whoopies. Add webbing tree straps suitable for your area with a marlin spike hitch for a simple and fully adjustable system.
    I just watched shug's video on this and saw what you were talking about. Perfect! This is a plan! Thank you!
    Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made! I will rejoice and be glad!

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Geekmedic View Post
    FWIW; I started with daisy chains, didn't have a hammock with a continuous ridge line, and wasn't satisfied with my hangs. Moved on to a SLD TL double layer and Chameleon.

SLD TL is running continuous loops with integrated cinch buckles on the hammock, Dutch Poly/Spider straps with MT evo loops at the tree.

Chameleon is using MT continuous loops with DW Beetle buckles and UHMWPE straps and MT evo loops.

I find both setups to be light enough for me. Distance is not an issue, setup is easy enough continuous ridge line helps a ton. Adjustability is infinite, making it easy to get the perfect hang.

I'm no expert, and continue to research and look at different ideas. Recently bought some turtles from Fugal innovations, (met him at a group hang [nice guy and patient enough to answer all of my questions]). This will likely be part of a UL option in the future.

I like MT idea of using the fixed loop of a whoopie through a gathered end hammock.
    That's my $0.02. Good luck on your through hike.
    I just looked up these 'evo loops' and watched the video by Jason at Outdoor Adventures. What a concept! I love the idea of Evo loops and no hardware! I'm totally looking into these and buying a pair! Tx for the suggestion!

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Easy to be overwhelmed when getting your rigs together.
    You might value light weight, durable suspensions, that give you ease of use.
    I like suspensions that do not slip, do not jam, do not wear out easily, with no small parts to lose, modular yet somewhat attached to prevent losing parts and lightweight.
    I’m a car camper and beginning backpacker short miles.
    Highly recommend you go to at least two group hangs to see lots of rigs in use. Possibly a group hang that has a short hike in. Backpackers will tend to have lighter suspensions, lighter tarps, lighter total pack weight
    Watch Shug’s videos on hammock suspensions and packs loaded with gear for a trek through the woods.
    I have no room to talk, as my pack weight and physical condition limit me to short miles. Ima heading that way...Lol
    Read and watch videos from AT hikers, backpack a section of AT with some AT pros to get specific firsthand experience.
    Good Luck ATGIRL2028
    I have been watching a TON of videos, especially Shug, and that's where the ideas start. Then I ask a question here on the forum and I get even MORE ideas! This is the best hobby ever! I can't get enough!
    I want to desperately go on some hangs b/c I know I'd learn so much more first hand, but I have three boys in sports, scouts and church functions that just don't allow for that right now. I'm really going to try to get them into it this summer so maybe they could go to a hang or two with me. That's my only hope until they learn to drive in a few years. So until that happens, I'll keep learning and keep buying!

Hammock
    Darien, Chameleon
    Tarp
    tarp with doors
    Insulation
    LL TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mab0852 View Post
    I'd say you are overthinking it. If your fully cinched whoopies are too long then your tarp is definitely going to be too long. The hammock is the shortest part of the equation. As noted, you can always go direct to the loop on the end of the hammock on one or both sides. I've got lots of nights in all kinds of environments and its never been my hammock that was the challenge in the equation unless it was a really long hang and I couldn't get my straps high enough up the tree. It's always the tarp that's too big. Even on a really short hang you can sag the hammock and get by. It won't be as comfortable, but it'll still work.
    I am probably way over thinking, that's true. I just want to get a great set up that I can enjoy for years to come and there's just so much, I don't want to buy what I think sounded good only to find it's not what I was actually looking for. But asking questions on this forum has helped tremendously. I'm one of "those" type A people who have to investigate and study things to death before making a decision...lol. I just don't understand how people decide in November to hike the AT and go in February and they never even knew that hammocking existed until they decided to go. How did they get all of this together in such a short amount of time?! I've been at it a year now and am STILL trying to figure it out...lol

Images
    @ATGIRL: The advice to just get out there and camp is critical. What you value in gear is entirely dictated by your experience using that gear. If you have no experience, then you have no way to value your gear either.

You're asking questions of a technical nature which have technical answers. However, those things may not matter to you when boots hit the trail. Even a single weekend backpack trip will teach you more than all of these forum comments.

Example: "Which suspension is the lightest?"
    Technical Answer: <insert info about strap material>
    Real Answer: It doesn't matter if the weather gets serious, it's getting dark, you can't feel your fingers, and you start panicking because you don't know how to use your own gear.

Different people value different things: money, weight, speed, durability, ease of use, colorz ... etc. The lightest option isn't universally the best. So just pick something simple and get out there and try it. Then you'll know what you like, and more importantly, why.

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    @ATGIRL: The advice to just get out there and camp is critical. What you value in gear is entirely dictated by your experience using that gear. If you have no experience, then you have no way to value your gear either.

You're asking questions of a technical nature which have technical answers. However, those things may not matter to you when boots hit the trail. Even a single weekend backpack trip will teach you more than all of these forum comments.

Example: "Which suspension is the lightest?"
    Technical Answer: <insert info about strap material>
    Real Answer: It doesn't matter if the weather gets serious, it's getting dark, you can't feel your fingers, and you start panicking because you don't know how to use your own gear.

Different people value different things: money, weight, speed, durability, ease of use, colorz ... etc. The lightest option isn't universally the best. So just pick something simple and get out there and try it. Then you'll know what you like, and more importantly, why.
    MIKE DROP!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Double Multicam
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12/ MWG Mons
    Insulation
    ZPacks/LocoLibre
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    We have plenty of hangers in Scouting, so you may get to a "group hang" sooner than you think. I won't say I direct my Scouts to places with trees, but let's just say we don't hike in the desert or camp above the tree line. FYI, I'm in two Troups (boy and girl) so I feel you on the time crunch thing, but I do get lot's of hang time as a result. The girls almost exclusively hammock, but occasionally go to ground under a tarp. As you seem to be leaning more toward Amsteel options, I highly recommend you pick up 50 or so feet and a small spool of zing-it to start working on DIY whoopies, loops, and guy lines. Splicing is super easy, and once you learn the basics, its a very versatile skill you may even want to teach your kids/Scouts. If you build your own, you can experiment for a relatively low cost and make changes on the fly. It's not the cheapest cordage in the world, but it's still rope and way cheaper than trying a bunch of dedicated hardware. The other advantage is you'll know how to make repairs in the field (I carry splicing stuff in my repair kit). I have an excel file I can share that covers most of the spliced suspension options and does all the layout math based on your inputs if you are interested.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast