Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grommets on Ridgerunner spindrift sock

I bought a Ridgerunner back in 2015 that I used for a while, before switching to a gathered end for a few years. The last time I used it I'd had the spindrift on it, and I put the hammock away without removing the spindrift. I started using my Ridgerunner again recently, but when I pulled the hammock out of the bag, which naturally moved the rigging through the spindrift grommets a bit, the grommets just sort of... came out. No resistance, the rigging didn't get stuck or anything, the grommets just came away from the spindrift fabric like they'd never been attached in the first place.

I've camped with my Ridgerunner a few times in the last few months, but the temps during the trip last weekend made me realize that I *really* need to make some decisions about my spindrift because all of a sudden it is just too darn cold to camp without it. I had the thought to try to replace the grommets, maybe with some bigger ones. I don't have any experience with installing grommets, but it doesn't seem complicated. I'd just need to find a kit with the right size grommets.

The other option would be to buy the new style spindrift. The new style seems to be an improvement - the old style is a massive pain to put on and take off the hammock, since you have to undo the rigging, while the new style just goes over the hammock itself. Plus the new style has the option of a pad zipper, and I know from experience how awkward it is to slip a pad or space blanket between the layers of my Ridgerunner with the spindrift attached. Of course, I have some other winter-related expenses, like getting an underquilt rated to a lower temp, and the spindrift isn't exactly cheap, plus it's hard to justify buying a second spindrift when I already have one that would be functional if only I replaced the grommets.

Any advice? Has anyone replaced the grommets on their spindrift? Also, just to check, does the new style come with any grommets? It didn't seem like it in the picture, but honestly I'm not interested at all in the new style if it has *any* grommets because frankly I don't trust Warbonnet's grommets at this point.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    You should be able to reattach the grommets or replace them with larger ones but a properly rated top and bottom quilt should take care of the need for the cover in the first place.

I sleep really cold. Seriously, really cold. I depend on having that little microclimate from the cover. I was just barely warm enough last weekend with a low of 35, an underquilt rated to 20, and a topquilt rated to 30, plus one of those cheap Costco down blankets, while wearing 3-4 layers of clothing top and bottom. I sort of created my own microclimate by draping the Costco blanket over my head and having it overlap with the topquilt. Yeah, it's ridiculous, but the alternative is to be too cold to sleep. I do plan on getting a 0 degree underquilt when I can swing it though.

I think I will try to replace the grommets. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by bansheekitty; 11-04-2019 at 15:55.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bansheekitty View Post
    I sleep really cold. Seriously, really cold. I depend on having that little microclimate from the cover. I was just barely warm enough last weekend with a low of 35, an underquilt rated to 20, and a topquilt rated to 30, plus one of those cheap Costco down blankets, while wearing 3-4 layers of clothing top and bottom. I sort of created my own microclimate by draping the Costco blanket over my head and having it overlap with the topquilt. Yeah, it's ridiculous, but the alternative is to be too cold to sleep. I do plan on getting a 0 degree underquilt when I can swing it though.

You may be over dressing and causing sweat and in turn becoming cold. I'm a very very cold sleeper and my Loco Libre 20° quilt set with a short sleeve shirt and sweat pants will take me down into the upper 20's and my Zero quilt set will take me to the low teens with ease. I wear a balaclava at night for head warmth along with a sock hat if needed. So yes invest in good down and it should last you a life time if you take care of it.

I'm definitely not cold from sweating. I don't mean when you wake up cold at 3 AM, I'm talking about getting into the hammock, feeling cold, and staying cold - never feeling properly warm. At home in my 65 degree house I wear heavy pajamas with a heavy fleece bathrobe, hood up, under a fleece blanket.

I think I crashed my metabolism when I lost a lot of weight, even though I did it slowly and safely through healthy diet and exercise. I developed major cold intolerance after that. They've done studies that show that your metabolism slows down massively when you lose a lot of weight, and it doesn't really recover much, if at all.

But anyway, thank you for the good advice. I will replace the grommets, and I will pony up the cash for a 0 degree quilt.
    Last edited by bansheekitty; 11-04-2019 at 16:21.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

ha! Been there done that.. like three days ago!! I totally relate to being a REALLY cold sleeper.

After this past weekend, which was epic despite experiencing "human popsicle"status, I'm ready to buy a -20 degree quilt to be SURE I'm not cold EVER again!

Incidentally, I'm also a RidgeRunner user too. Good luck with your repair!
    Last edited by NJHeart2Heart; 11-04-2019 at 16:34.
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Quote Originally Posted by NJHeart2Heart View Post
    ha! Been there done that.. like three days ago!! I totally relate to being a REALLY cold sleeper. After this past weekend, which was epic despite experiencing "human popsicle"status, but I'm ready to buy at -20 degree quilt to be SURE I'm not cold EVER again!
    Honestly, if Warbonnet offered a -20 degree underquilt... I'd be tempted.

Ooh, I see you have a 13 foot Winterdream tarp... that is also something on my future "to buy" list. Unfortunately, making sure I don't freeze is a higher priority so the tarp will have to wait!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner Bridge
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Lynx, hangtight
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Ooh, I see you have a 13 foot Winterdream tarp... that is also something on my future "to buy" list. Unfortunately, making sure I don't freeze is a higher priority so the tarp will have to wait!
    Those tarps are functional AND beautiful
    I have the 0 degree Warbonnet underquilt, and I think it actually worked ok for me.. It was my topquilt that was lacking insulation. worked great at 36 degrees, but somewhere between that and 27 degrees that quilt said "not--ahhh..I'm going home to warm up!!) lol

Loco Libre Quilts makes a Ridgerunner specific underquilt that goes to 0 degrees, but admittedly pricey. Since he's a friend, I'll probably suck it up and buy from him.. because, like UGQ, they are pricey, but they are beautiful and he is just a great guy that deserves all the business I can give
    ~~~NJHEART2HEART Dawn~~~
    "Seek God, Embrace the Journey, Leave a Legacy of Love"

Images

If you go for a custom underquilt, I'm pretty sure their "Scandinavian" models are meant to be -20° ... at least -10°.
    That includes the Lynx.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...m-underquilts/

Images
    I know your discussion is based around the Ridgerunner, which would mean you'd be looking at the Lynx, but one place you can find some info about Warbonnet's Scandi models is by looking at the specs for the stock Wooki (the stock Lynx isn't available in Scandinavian, and the specs below aren't listed on the custom quilt pages).

40° - fill weight of 4.96oz
    20° - fill weight of 10oz
    0° - fill weight of 13oz
    Scandinavian - fill weight of 19.5oz

That's a pretty big jump in fill weight by going to the Scandi, which makes me think it might be equivalent to a -20° rating. Maybe they avoid calling it that because those are seriously cold temps and they don't want someone pushing the gear beyond their own personal level of education/safety when it comes to temps that be that dangerous. In other words, they don't want someone to assume that everything will be peachy-keen in -20° weather if they simply buy this one piece of gear. But if you just want a really warm quilt, they have it for you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast