Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    BillyBob is better at explanations than I am - the HHSS has been my winter go-to for several years. By adding a 20 oz climashield 3/4 UQ I have been warm at 15F. 35F is about my limit for the stock SS. In cold weather I do wear a VB shirt next to my skin with a fleece hoodie over that. The $15/$20 Frogg Togg UL Rain jacket works (it needs to be worn next to skin with some insulation over it). https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-U...00DQNC6GO?th=1

The only time I had condensation inside my SS I was side sleeping and my breath hit the undercover where it condensed. Maybe you are a side sleeper and your breathing hits the space blanket?

Your moisture wick results are quite valid. During my CCF pad days I used flannel (cotton) or chamois (ShamWow) on top of my CCF pads (inside my HH) for moisture wicking and it worked well. Kept me and my sleeping bag a lot drier.

I use the HH Backpacker UL 'Classic' bottom entry hammock I purchased in 2008. Still stock except for the use of Dutch clips on the tree huggers.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Quote Originally Posted by LuvmyBonnet View Post
    Hi Framjam! You should make it out to a group hang. You'll have a wealth of knowledge at your disposal. EGL (Eastern Great Lakes) is a great group of lads and lassies! We're have a Hang at Valens Conservation Area the weekend of Nov 22-24. Some of are going to The Ontario Winter Camping Symposium on Saturday. It's sold out by I think someone has some extras. So come on out, fill your belly with lots of good food and learn the arts of hammock.
    Alas, the MIL is visiting, that weekend! While I would welcome the excuse to vacate, I think it might not look right.

I regularly read the trip planning section, and I look forward to hangin' with EGL, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    the HHSS has been my winter go-to for several years. By adding a 20 oz climashield 3/4 UQ I have been warm at 15F. 35F is about my limit for the stock SS.
    Thanks for chiming in, oldpappy. Looks like my numbers might be about the same as yours. I took the base system down to a few degrees above freezing, earlier this week, and then added a sleeping bag under to go lower.

Now that I think I've got it figured out, I'm hoping to make a Gemini underquilt. I think the clew suspension will help prevent sagging of the under cover. Now, if I could just get my hands on one of those elusive CDTs!

Images

breath hitting the sides and condensing when side sleeping?

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    BillyBob is better at explanations than I am - the HHSS has been my winter go-to for several years. By adding a 20 oz climashield 3/4 UQ I have been warm at 15F. 35F is about my limit for the stock SS. In cold weather I do wear a VB shirt next to my skin with a fleece hoodie over that. The $15/$20 Frogg Togg UL Rain jacket works (it needs to be worn next to skin with some insulation over it). https://www.amazon.com/Frogg-Toggs-U...00DQNC6GO?th=1

The only time I had condensation inside my SS I was side sleeping and my breath hit the undercover where it condensed. Maybe you are a side sleeper and your breathing hits the space blanket?

Your moisture wick results are quite valid. During my CCF pad days I used flannel (cotton) or chamois (ShamWow) on top of my CCF pads (inside my HH) for moisture wicking and it worked well. Kept me and my sleeping bag a lot drier.

I use the HH Backpacker UL 'Classic' bottom entry hammock I purchased in 2008. Still stock except for the use of Dutch clips on the tree huggers.
    Thanks for the kind words, OldPappy! You have just given me an idea. Maybe what you say about getting the condensation while side sleeping explains the problems some people(but not Framjam) report? It makes total sense, just like getting condensation in a sock does. On the sides, the space blanket/VB is NOT kept warm by body heat. Breath vapor could hit it and condense, roll down the space blanket, and end up under the back and butt. Or, if the space blanket is not that high up, breath could just hit the sil-nylon Under cover, condense and roll down into the insulation. Maybe this explains the problem for some people?

I can't remember if I did any side sleeping that time I used the HHSS - including the over cover - at 6F. But, I was bone dry except for the frost bib that was hanging right in front of my face, which was quite damp. But for the future, when ever side sleeping in the HHSS(or maybe anything else), I may try and make sure to have a frost bib between me and the hammock, including the sides of the hammock and the space blanket. Thanks for mentioning that.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Life is SHORT.I licked the problems associated with my SS by putting it on the shelf,going to a more comfortable hammock with a real down underquilt,topquilt,and UQP.I am pleased with my Dutch sidezip year round because using the net retains some heat and likely gives a little wind protection as well.I am always surprised at the little rush of cold air that comes in when I unzip in the middle of the night.I supplement with a little piece of reflectix which gets moved around to anywhere it might be needed.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by framjam View Post
    Thanks for chiming in, oldpappy. Looks like my numbers might be about the same as yours. I took the base system down to a few degrees above freezing, earlier this week, and then added a sleeping bag under to go lower.

Now that I think I've got it figured out, I'm hoping to make a Gemini underquilt. I think the clew suspension will help prevent sagging of the under cover. Now, if I could just get my hands on one of those elusive CDTs!
    Haven't you now taken it down to about 28F without adding anything? If so, you might be near the head of the pack. Except for one guy we have not heard from for years(hope he didn't freeze), who used the base HHSS way below zero f. He was from Michigan. But I think he was just extra tough when it came to cold, and he slept in plenty of warm clothes. Name was something like CryoftheWild. He also only used a Marmot 15F bag, and used to talk about the ice in the down.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Haven't you now taken it down to about 28F without adding anything? If so, you might be near the head of the pack.
    Nope, you're conflating two events. I've taken the base system down to 35ish, then I added a sleeping bag in the undercover, and was comfortable at 28.

I'm certainly no record-breaker, nor do I have any aspirations; I just want to find comfortable, light, and cheap.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by framjam View Post
    Nope, you're conflating two events. I've taken the base system down to 35ish, then I added a sleeping bag in the undercover, and was comfortable at 28.

I'm certainly no record-breaker, nor do I have any aspirations; I just want to find comfortable, light, and cheap.
    OK, thanks for clearing up my confusion!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123