Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Thank you, I really needed the giggle.

The Canadian Honkers tend to over winter here in Oregon. Where I live in B.C. the big influx is at Break-up. I love watching the ducks and Honkers practice landing. The water in the lake thaws from the surface down. The birds think they are landing on water but it is a skin of water, ice is what they touch. Birds go sliding just like I do on ice right at freezing. Great fun to watch, the sounds are okay because we are isolated with soft hills around so the volume does not bother us. It would be different if we lived where the sounds were added to people noise.

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    I’ve missed you. Lol. I can just picture this at your hang spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    From the intro, I was almost thinking you had another invasion of arachnids, then I realized it was just "harmless" waterfowl. I'd take honking of waterfowl over the thunderous booming mike of the hometown football stadium behind my house or the neighbor that decided to have a wedding reception at their house instead of at a proper hotel venue, complete with blaring DJ music! Earplugs are definitely a must for peaceful hammocking in many situations.

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I’ve missed you. Lol. I can just picture this at your hang spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same here! Hope you can make the hang.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images

Exclamation

UPDATE ~

After doing some recon of my own, I've discovered the enemy's new inland base - the corn field down the street. On my way out this morning as I was driving past, I was FORCED to stop in the middle of the rd by enemy troops who had set up a check point of some sort. They had also stopped the 4 cars in front of me and the 2 in the other lane. A back and forth "honk" battle ensued, enemy troops honking at us, us honking at them while creeping slowly forward in a car vs goose version of " chicken".... It was chaos.

After a heated stand off @ 8am this morning that felt like hours, the commander of the enemy forces( who had now began to honk louder than the KIA in front of me ) withdrew his troops from the roadway and retreated back to their new secondary base/corn buffet. As I drove past and was able to see the field beyond the few sparse pine trees lining the road I got my first glimpse of what I'll call " the main body" of the enemy forces : hundreds of geese " bombers " grouped into their individual squadrons, with dozens and dozens of smaller flights of mallard "attack" aircraft intermixed. The scale of the enemy flocks formation was truly amazing. SO large, and SO loud in fact, I could hear them from my house..... 1 MILE AWAY when I returned from taking my daughter to school. But as I got out of the car I heard another, closer, unit as well. The "recon flight" had returned to their amphibious base in front of my house and were calling to the inland/ assault base! I was stuck in the middle of a honking crossfire!!!!

I was able to snap this quick shot of the enemy forces as I was taking cover inside. I plan on hanging in my yard tonight since its gonna be in upper teens - low 20's so I hope they don't feel the need to all take up positions out front. SO, wish me luck! I'm going into battle against a tough and determined enemy that has superior numbers and will have my position under tight surveillance all night while I sleep. I might even get bombed by mixed goose/duck ordnance! Will keep you all posted!

IMG_20191108_141357.jpg
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    UPDATE ~

After doing some recon of my own, I've discovered the enemy's new inland base - the corn field down the street. On my way out this morning as I was driving past, I was FORCED to stop in the middle of the rd by enemy troops who had set up a check point of some sort. They had also stopped the 4 cars in front of me and the 2 in the other lane. A back and forth "honk" battle ensued, enemy troops honking at us, us honking at them while creeping slowly forward in a car vs goose version of " chicken".... It was chaos.

After a heated stand off @ 8am this morning that felt like hours, the commander of the enemy forces( who had now began to honk louder than the KIA in front of me ) withdrew his troops from the roadway and retreated back to their new secondary base/corn buffet. As I drove past and was able to see the field beyond the few sparse pine trees lining the road I got my first glimpse of what I'll call " the main body" of the enemy forces : hundreds of geese " bombers " grouped into their individual squadrons, with dozens and dozens of smaller flights of mallard "attack" aircraft intermixed. The scale of the enemy flocks formation was truly amazing. SO large, and SO loud in fact, I could hear them from my house..... 1 MILE AWAY when I returned from taking my daughter to school. But as I got out of the car I heard another, closer, unit as well. The "recon flight" had returned to their amphibious base in front of my house and were calling to the inland/ assault base! I was stuck in the middle of a honking crossfire!!!!

I was able to snap this quick shot of the enemy forces as I was taking cover inside. I plan on hanging in my yard tonight since its gonna be in upper teens - low 20's so I hope they don't feel the need to all take up positions out front. SO, wish me luck! I'm going into battle against a tough and determined enemy that has superior numbers and will have my position under tight surveillance all night while I sleep. I might even get bombed by mixed goose/duck ordnance! Will keep you all posted!

IMG_20191108_141357.jpg

Flying dinosaurs! Run, little mammals, run!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    2nd UPDATE ~

I decided that a " show of force" might give me a quick and decisive victory, without bloodshed on either side. I went out this evening around 5:00 to set up my hammock rig/ LP/OP ( listening post/observation post for those not familiar with military slang lol) in full view of approximately 20-30 battle hardened long range goose commandos. As I stepped out the front door to get started I noticed the back and forth banter between units and the two bases that I heard earlier in the day had stopped. It was almost dead quiet. A cold breeze was blowing up the bay as the sun was setting behind me. The enemy were still holding there positions, but something didn't feel right. It reminded me of back when I was a Corrections Officer in Delaware working on death row in super max : quiet was good, but too quiet was really really bad. I strode across the yard, determine to not show fear and began setting up. Pulling out my GOOSE DOWN quilts was the part I thought might enrage the opposition forces , but that's when I heard him : Stallion Duck. I've froze. My mind began to race and think back to New Years Eve of '17..... This was the same duck that out quacked an entire flock of geese. The same duck that kept me awake all night with his overpowering, echoing megaquack on steroids! I felt defeated. I instantly knew that what Im up against can only be beaten by overwhelming 12gauge dominance...... And hunting season is over. The air, and now ground superiority of this super flock is undeniable. Only super dense mega ear plugs will drown out his overpowering super quack enough to let me sleep out there now. I'm determined to not go down without a fight though. I will sleep in peace! Bring it on Stallion Duck!

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper View Post
    Flying dinosaurs! Run, little mammals, run!
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    2nd UPDATE ~

I decided that a " show of force" might give me a quick and decisive victory, without bloodshed on either side. I went out this evening around 5:00 to set up my hammock rig/ LP/OP ( listening post/observation post for those not familiar with military slang lol) in full view of approximately 20-30 battle hardened long range goose commandos. As I stepped out the front door to get started I noticed the back and forth banter between units and the two bases that I heard earlier in the day had stopped. It was almost dead quiet. A cold breeze was blowing up the bay as the sun was setting behind me. The enemy were still holding there positions, but something didn't feel right. It reminded me of back when I was a Corrections Officer in Delaware working on death row in super max : quiet was good, but too quiet was really really bad. I strode across the yard, determine to not show fear and began setting up. Pulling out my GOOSE DOWN quilts was the part I thought might enrage the opposition forces , but that's when I heard him : Stallion Duck. I've froze. My mind began to race and think back to New Years Eve of '17..... This was the same duck that out quacked an entire flock of geese. The same duck that kept me awake all night with his overpowering, echoing megaquack on steroids! I felt defeated. I instantly knew that what Im up against can only be beaten by overwhelming 12gauge dominance...... And hunting season is over. The air, and now ground superiority of this super flock is undeniable. Only super dense mega ear plugs will drown out his overpowering super quack enough to let me sleep out there now. I'm determined to not go down without a fight though. I will sleep in peace! Bring it on Stallion Duck!
    God I love your commentary on the situation!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast