Tarp
    AquaQuest Defender
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermrest Egg
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles

Big Sur

Hey folks,

I'm looking to go down to Big Sur, CA with another friend or two. Was wondering if anyone would be willing to share a good spot to camp where hanging is an option! We will be backpacking in.

Cheers,
    Michael

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    AquaQuest Defender
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermrest Egg
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Hey folks,

Did a bit more research and found some great resources I thought I'd share if others stumble upon this in the future.

Before I continue on I do not intend to point users away from this forum, I intend to share the best information about the specific topic of this thread that I can find.

That out of the way, the best resources I've found is a semi live status of the trailheads and a secondary forum that has discussion about trail conditions, if fires are allowed, if there is water etc. You should be able to find that forum if you read around on the site. I won't post it here.

Trail Status Map: https://bigsurtrailmap.net/trailconditions.html

It is recommended to call the ranger station in the area before going out to get more information before heading out.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Suspension
    Warbonnet buckles
    Hey thanks for the info. I'm about 70 miles away and would like to see any info regarding backpacking in Big Sur.

Insulation
    Zepplin20 Bandit20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    You should also check out this site https://ventanawild.org/

They have trail condition reports and some great resources. Was just down there this weekend for a two-night hammock hike and it was great. The coast was awesome and the views were great. Definitely worth the time and effort. We ended up on one of the more busy trails and saw about 12 people hiking all weekend.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    AquaQuest Defender
    Insulation
    3/4 Thermrest Egg
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Thanks for the trip report/link. Sounds like you had a good time. Looking forward to getting out there soon. May have to solo it!

Insulation
    Zepplin20 Bandit20
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I did find out from another hiker we ran into that the south coast ridge road is open to 4-wheel drive vehicles. I'm probably going to be back out there early February and am going to see about driving back in there and then hiking around. I would call the Monterey Rangers office to inquire about roads and/or trails before you go as the weather can change things this time of year with the mud and rock slides and all. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lpnf...a/?recid=10903

I would love to go to Big Sur. I have time to take a trip now that this lockdown stuff is going on. I hope it's not closed.

• + New Posts