Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
I live 20 minutes from there and hang at that shelter all the time. There's a newer shelter even closer (from Sumner Road) but with less open area and only one picnic table. You are supposed to fill out a permit before staying overnight at the shelter. I've had angry park rangers chasing me down when I didn't. I would at least call the office and let them know what you have planned, especially if there will be a lot of vehicles in the parking areas. They usually ask for the license plate info for any car staying overnight. I have to check with the wife to see if we have any plans (I may show up Friday after work). If you need local assistance with coordinating it then PM me.

There is a reliable stream but it's not close to the shelters. I'm not sure what there is coming from the south side since I always come from Sumner Road.

The area is popular and normally picked clean of wood. I've packed wood in before. If there's a concert at the park on Friday night you'll hear it. Hunters will also be out so you'll hear gunshots. Wear something orange.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, I just want everyone to be aware of the situation.

I also hang at Letchworth all the time but only on the trail side. Even on the camp site side no one has given me trouble about hammocking. You're supposed to get a permit for the shelters there as well but I've never seen a ranger. It's easier to stealth camp there if you have to. I park at Mount Morris - there are a few spots near the trailhead and you're basically in town so you could park across the street at the dollar store. Even if the park is closed I've gone in winter by parking down the road at Letchworth Pines (bar/grill/bowling alley) in Portageville and hiking into the south end. There are also a ton of trailheads down River Road with parking spots.
Thanks for the reply - do you know who I ought to call about the permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk