Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    I live 20 minutes from there and hang at that shelter all the time. There's a newer shelter even closer (from Sumner Road) but with less open area and only one picnic table. You are supposed to fill out a permit before staying overnight at the shelter. I've had angry park rangers chasing me down when I didn't. I would at least call the office and let them know what you have planned, especially if there will be a lot of vehicles in the parking areas. They usually ask for the license plate info for any car staying overnight. I have to check with the wife to see if we have any plans (I may show up Friday after work). If you need local assistance with coordinating it then PM me.

There is a reliable stream but it's not close to the shelters. I'm not sure what there is coming from the south side since I always come from Sumner Road.

The area is popular and normally picked clean of wood. I've packed wood in before. If there's a concert at the park on Friday night you'll hear it. Hunters will also be out so you'll hear gunshots. Wear something orange.

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, I just want everyone to be aware of the situation.

I also hang at Letchworth all the time but only on the trail side. Even on the camp site side no one has given me trouble about hammocking. You're supposed to get a permit for the shelters there as well but I've never seen a ranger. It's easier to stealth camp there if you have to. I park at Mount Morris - there are a few spots near the trailhead and you're basically in town so you could park across the street at the dollar store. Even if the park is closed I've gone in winter by parking down the road at Letchworth Pines (bar/grill/bowling alley) in Portageville and hiking into the south end. There are also a ton of trailheads down River Road with parking spots.
    Thanks for the reply - do you know who I ought to call about the permit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Thermarest Slacker/Slack house
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's Tarp
    Insulation
    Super Snuggler
    Suspension
    Eno Helios
    I'm in. It will be a tight squeeze for time, but I need to get outside. Is this an area were people hunt? Also which side, north or south for parking...and helping with wood.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ntfd60 View Post
    I'm in. It will be a tight squeeze for time, but I need to get outside. Is this an area were people hunt? Also which side, north or south for parking...and helping with wood.
    It’s state park land but there are hunting permits issued. I’ll call the rangers office and figure that out. When I last went I parked on the north.

Last edited by captaincoupal; 11-19-2019 at 07:31.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by ntfd60 View Post
    If you're coming from NT, park on the north side, Sumner Road.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by captaincoupal View Post
    Thanks for the reply - do you know who I ought to call about the permit?

The State Park office: 585 547 9242

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    The State Park office: 585 547 9242
    ok, got the permit from the park. Can everyone who's coming IM me, the park would like this information:

Who's coming (first name, last name)
    Make/Model/Color/License Plate of vehicle.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ok, doing an update to the thread. The ranger suggests that the official FLT Lean-To would be drier and more comfortable (it's on a small hill and has a privy) option than the blue-blazed one that I was familiar with. I'm thinking that, plus the fact that it's only 0.6 miles south of the Sumner road lot, means that it might be a lot more convenient to make this our first WNY hang. Especially since it will be a lot less work to haul wood in from the road. Although it might be a smaller space, there's enough room for a picnic table and I'm guessing the one tenting couple that's going. I have to assume there will be plenty of trees to hang from, so I'm going to hope for the best there. I'm attaching a screen capture of the park map, with the "Darien Lake Lean-To" indicated (sorry, you may need to zoom in).

Darien Lake Map.jpg

So far we have 10 planning on going, if you decide to go let me know and I'll add your driving information to our permit. I plan on heading out from Buffalo around 1pm, should be parked well before 2pm and be able to get setup and settled in. PM me if you want my phone number to coordinate and I'll share it with you privately. Hopefully the forecast holds and we don't get rain while we're out there.

Ashman is providing a bunch of kiln-dried hardwood (Thanks Ash!), so I'm going to leave it in a bin in front of the minivan if you get there after me so you can help out. Bring a couple of reusable grocery bags or whatever to carry some in. If everyone brings 2 bags in we'll have an awesome campfire Friday night without having to scavenge. Bring a couple of liters of water and/or a purifier if you plan on using more; there is water nearby. Everyone's on their own for meals, but if everyone were to bring a snack to share for Friday night that would be cool.

There will be a few kids going, so even though it's not a Scouting event, let's regard this as a family-friendly event.

Any other comments/suggestions/concerns or anything I've forgotten, please post them here.

Senior Member Pennsy Camp and Canoe's Avatar
    Hammock
    Dutchware 11' netless - Dark OG
    Tarp
    DIY 12' Winter hex
    Insulation
    LLG UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    We're not going to make it I'm afraid, just can't seem to break away from Family stuff over the holiday. Hopefully everyone has a safe fun time and we'll catch you on the next one!

Brett

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix /Bur 30
    Images
    Thank you again for setting this meet up. I had a great time, got to check out a new place, meet great people! Looking forward to the next one.
    Deerless

You have brains in your head.... You have feet in your shoes...
    You can steer yourself in any direction you choose
    Dr Seuss

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, we all had a fun time not doing Black Friday shopping! @datahiker and @deerless showed up, along with Mark and myself and our two daughters. The hike in was a little damp, but the site itself was on a hill and relatively dry.

It wasn’t warm, with a low of 28 overnight, but we kept a toasty campfire going and we were all fairly warm overnight in our hammocks. I’d say the only surprise was the thunderbox (we had expected a privy), but it worked and had a great view!

Looking forward to our next WNY group hang in the spring of 2020.

IMG_0068.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast