Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    While the RR is a flat laying hammock it's definitely no where near as flas a lay as a bed
    Yeah thanks, I guess I would have to try it and make that judgement myself... Come to think of it, perhaps lying down for a few minutes at a Hang event might not cut it for me. I would have to sleep in it at least one night to make up my mind... Hmm, maybe I should look into renting a RR and using it for some time before pulling the trigger.

I think you just gave me an idea there... Thanks.

R
    Last edited by ricktreks; 11-21-2019 at 09:29.
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    They didn't want to add 2 extra sliders or they didn't want to use a different zipper? Adding 2 extra sliders should be fairly straightforward. Using a different zipper that can be separated is probably impossible for just one order. You would need a zipper with a length that fits the Ridgerunner exactly. The separating zippers for the XLC are custom-made for Warbonnet, as far as I know. And they only have one slider each. That's why they use two zippers to allow for opening and closing the zipper near the shoulder instead of the head or foot end. They would need to get custom zippers in a different length.

Do you want to just add two sliders? I just had a close look at the Ridgerunner; the ends are only sewn closed. I haven't worked with zippers, yet, but I think it would be possible to open one seam and add a second pair of sliders. I would practice on a piece of zipper first, though.
    We can solve the opening with additional zipper pulls, but I just want the bugnet to be removable. I dont need the bugnet in winter, its storage on the hammock is not that clever/comfortable, it always pops up, always needs my attention. I would pretty much prefer two zippers on each side going around allowing me to remove the bugnet. For example dutch sells such zippers at 103inches, I need two of them. Maybe I will try to replace. And then I can start to play with topcover.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by infrastellar View Post
    We can solve the opening with additional zipper pulls, but I just want the bugnet to be removable. I dont need the bugnet in winter, its storage on the hammock is not that clever/comfortable, it always pops up, always needs my attention. I would pretty much prefer two zippers on each side going around allowing me to remove the bugnet. For example dutch sells such zippers at 103inches, I need two of them. Maybe I will try to replace. And then I can start to play with topcover.
    Infrastellar, I'm really interested in your project. As a matter of fact I haven't bought the RR precisely because it doesn't come with these features and the manufacturer is unable to make those changes for me. But since you already own one and are having the same issues others have expressed and I foresee having myself if I owned a RR, I'm very curious to know how your project turns out to replicate it if I ever bought that hammock.

About the top cover, I'm more in the camp of those who prefer an open hammock and a tarp in cold places, but I don't do a lot of winter stuff. I'm surprised WB has not come up with the option of making the bugnet and top cover interchangeable, since that's the direction the cottage industry seems to be going. If you use the Spindrift Sock with your RR, you still have to carry the weight of the bugnet. Not to mention the extra weight of the sock that hangs below the hammock, granted it protects your underquilt from wind drafts, so at least the sock there has a function, but the bugnet whether it's rolled up or deployed, is dead weight.
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    I prefer open hammock too. I dont use topcovers, socks nothing. I do a lot of winter and windy trips though. The idea is to use the topcover or whatever you call it instead of the tarp in dry winter conditions, like snow, wind, frozen cloud moving through you. But one needs to know that the condensation is not possible to avoid. In the winter we will end up with frozen water on the topcover from inside for sure as we do on tarps. And this is the reason, the spindrift is useless for me. I dont want to fiddle with the suspension to install/remove the sock. I need the protector to be removable while hammock still hanging. I want to take out the sock in the morning still full of ice and snow, and to remove the frost somewhere else, not over my hammock. I also want to store it apart as I do it with the tarp. And keep my hammock and quilts nice and dry. How to do it with spindrift? Did not see it personally, but what I saw, there are two holes to run the suspension through. Wrong. I need to cut it from one hole to another and install velcro tape there. On footend and headend too. Done. Another approach is to make the topcover instead of the bugnet as dutch makes the chameleon. Simple removal, simple installation, you can choose what you carry, etc. I have an underquilt protector anyway, so this comes one with the other, but I think my lynx UQ holds wind quite well, there are no gaps, the wind simply doesnt come through.

I prefer the tarp protection, but especially in the winter, with strong winds, frozen cloud, the sleep without the tarp hitting your face, without the fear the tarp will fail, etc, I am thinking about some kind of topcover instead. I have the ridgerunner only from the spring, but I already experienced some strong winds with it without the tarp, and really like it. Also the bugnet helps of course.

I will make some more measurements, it seems that two 103 inches zippers would make a nice job. The zipper on ridgerunner is sewn on grossgrain, not a big deal to rip off, the same with the bugnet. We end up with very small gaps between the zippers on both ends, but thats doable with small pieces of grosgrain.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    rick, i see jungletreks.com, I open the link, and wow !! I am a jungle lover, especially those in latin america Good work man. I travel with my family only now, cant do that to them But hey maybe someday i will make a run through Darien

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by infrastellar View Post
    rick, i see jungletreks.com, I open the link, and wow !! I am a jungle lover, especially those in latin america Good work man. I travel with my family only now, cant do that to them But hey maybe someday i will make a run through Darien
    Yeah man, any time! There's lots of stuff to do in Panama besides the Darien, most of them family-friendly. Of course we specialize in trekking expeditions, but we also do a pack-rafting day trip on one of the colonial jungle trails that's a killer. You can PM me here, or shoot me a line at [email protected] if you need any help. I don't want to use up too much space here in the forums for self-promotion. I'll just say that our more involved treks require careful planning. So if you ever decide to come, the only thing I ask is to email me when you're in the planning stages, even before you commit to buying plane tickets. Many people just show up here and expect us to organize a trek on the spot. Not possible. But otherwise, yes by all means, come over and bring your Ridgerunner. We have plenty of hammocks but they're all gathered-end .

R

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    i travelled to panama in 2003, loved it

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Sounds like your best bet simply would be a netted Ridgerunner for bug season and a netless one for winter. Realistically by the time you try to change out zippers (assuming it can be done) and the additional cost of doing that I think it would be much easier and cheaper just to have two RR’s.
    Last edited by drsolarmolar; 11-22-2019 at 09:04.

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    yeah you are so right it is called black friday over there?

Hammock
    warbonnet ridgerunner
    Tarp
    DIY Dyneema
    Insulation
    warbonnet lynx
    Suspension
    dutch jewelery
    So after one year, I managed to proceed the successful transplantation of the zipper on ridgerunner. I used two 103 inches zippers from Dutch. There is a 15cm gap at footend, covered with grosgrain. Now I can remove the bugnet if needed and what is more important, I can open the hammock on both sides. The next step will be ...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast