Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    That depends on how you put everything together. The Wooki has the same type of fabric knob on the end as the hammock, and the UQP doesn't provide a lot of room on the end. I have seen people closing the UQP so that the Wooki knob is outside. This puts a lot of stress on the zippers, which can even increase when you shift your weight in the hammock. I have always had the knob inside the hammock-UQP "shell" for that reason. Recently I re-whipped the Wooki about 1" shorter, mainly to pull up the sides a bit (to get a better seal on the feet and shoulder). I simply added a small cord loop to the foot end of the hammock, where I can clip in the Wooki. This not only improves the fit of the Wooki, but also puts the knob a little bit further from the foot end so that there's no stress on the UQP zippers anymore.
    Would you be able to post a pic? I put a piece of shock chord on my CL to hold the whipping, but maybe I need to use a longer piece? The way I have it now the whipping is pretty much directly under the hammock whipping.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    Nothing to do with the zipper but a friend of mine orderd a brand new bbq xlc this summer, she was new to hammocks, but when I saw it, it had burn holes in it and cuts in it, and cuts that were caused from objects like scissors. She took it out of the packaging a couple days before she took it on her first backpacking trip, I noticed the holes and such before she layed in it for the first time. It was replaced but still something that bad should not have left the facility. I heard (not sure if its true) that he is now out sourcing his builds to overseas somewhere
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Not an isolated incident. Two of the guys in the group I hang with had zipper issues, one of them posted pictures on Facebook and got quite a few responses from people with the same problem. Sounds like the same issue you're having, both with no more than a few weeks in the hammocks, and both very experienced hangers. And they too had to pay for the repair.
    Makes me think of Ed Speer- a vastly experienced hanger and back country traveler famous for his remote, solo kayak trips in Alaska. Where he would hang high in the trees to be out of reach of Grizzlies. His Pea Pod and removable hammock net both used Velcro rather than zippers, even though some potential customers preferred zippers. It was his opinion that sooner or later, zippers were going to give you trouble, not something he wanted to have to deal with in the remote trips. I think the same theory was part of the thinking behind the bottom entry no zipper Hennessy. Simply more bomb proof. Imagine a zipper failure in the out back when the Mossies are fierce. But, then again, I have traveled weeks in heavy mossie infestation with no bug nets at all other than the head net. But, it was cool enough to always be fully covered with bug resistant clothing. Still, I was always wishing for for an enclosed space where the little monsters cold not get to me.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado (Dream-Tex)
    Tarp
    ThunderFly
    Insulation
    Wooki, Diamondback
    Suspension
    DW June Bug Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    The Wooki has the same type of fabric knob on the end as the hammock, and the UQP doesn't provide a lot of room on the end. I have seen people closing the UQP so that the Wooki knob is outside. This puts a lot of stress on the zippers, which can even increase when you shift your weight in the hammock.
    This sounds like the best theory to me. I never even thought about this before. I’m gonna have to check this out when I get home.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kattdogg View Post
    I heard (not sure if its true) that he is now out sourcing his builds to overseas somewhere
    Definately not true, everything is still made by us right here in the USA.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Quote Originally Posted by kattdogg View Post
    Nothing to do with the zipper but a friend of mine orderd a brand new bbq xlc this summer, she was new to hammocks, but when I saw it, it had burn holes in it and cuts in it, and cuts that were caused from objects like scissors. She took it out of the packaging a couple days before she took it on her first backpacking trip, I noticed the holes and such before she layed in it for the first time. It was replaced but still something that bad should not have left the facility. I heard (not sure if its true) that he is now out sourcing his builds to overseas somewhere
    Eek! that is not good to hear. Well I will say that the hammock is excellent and super comfortable other than the UQP blowing out. Brandon just let me know that he is really trying to figure this issue out. I do hope that my hammock was made in the US, but it is very well made regardless.... Now I see another post that clarifies that they are indeed still made in the US.
    Last edited by Sinite; 11-06-2019 at 18:15.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Makes me think of Ed Speer- a vastly experienced hanger and back country traveler famous for his remote, solo kayak trips in Alaska. Where he would hang high in the trees to be out of reach of Grizzlies. His Pea Pod and removable hammock net both used Velcro rather than zippers, even though some potential customers preferred zippers. It was his opinion that sooner or later, zippers were going to give you trouble, not something he wanted to have to deal with in the remote trips. I think the same theory was part of the thinking behind the bottom entry no zipper Hennessy. Simply more bomb proof. Imagine a zipper failure in the out back when the Mossies are fierce. But, then again, I have traveled weeks in heavy mossie infestation with no bug nets at all other than the head net. But, it was cool enough to always be fully covered with bug resistant clothing. Still, I was always wishing for for an enclosed space where the little monsters cold not get to me.
    Interesting background on Speer. I was not aware of his adventures. Right up my alley!
    Anyway, yeah, I think zippers are a real weak point. They worry me- especially on the new ULA pack I just got. Anyway I camp in some very buggy places up here in the north country. I hope my zipper never blows out! I wonder how sewing it partially shut with dental floss would affect the warranty?-)

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinite View Post
    Of coarse I would prefer that none of us have had this experience, but I am glad to know that I am not the only one. Thanks for letting my know! Did they figure out why it happened?
    I believe they were told it was user error

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Quote Originally Posted by HandyRandy View Post
    This sounds like the best theory to me. I never even thought about this before. I’m gonna have to check this out when I get home.
    I would agree, but I did close both knobs inside. However, I did forget the rubber band that was included and used a piece of shock chord with a prussic knot to attach my wookie to the CL. I may have set the knob at the end in front of the knob at the end of my hammock. When I got into the hammock the wookie would have flexed causing the knob to pull back and this could have put strain on the UQP zipper. I need to set it up again and see if I can jog my memory for a little more detail. I would really like to figure this out! I would be happy to provide this information if it would bring about a solution so that others do not have this issue in the future!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    I believe they were told it was user error
    It seems to me that a little more flexibility need to be included in the design. That zipper area is pretty tight down at the end. Hmmm?

Again I would like to stress that this hammock is very well made and very comfortable. So far the tight zipper spacing at the ends is the only complaint that I would have- along with the zipper breaking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast