Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,

Warbonnet Blackbird XLC zipper failure

I just took my WB Blackbird XLC out for its first hang (not counting setting it up at home to make sure everything was clear before going out into the back country).
    I was very excited! For once I managed to get two trees that were the perfect distance from each other, a rare thing in my experience. I got into my hammock and the lay was perfect. At some point I leaned into my left should area to adjust my HG ridge line organizer (I like to keep smaller things in it) when I heard a loud pop sound. My wife looked all around the hammock and could find nothing wrong with it, so I relaxed.
    Next morning I am taking it down when I find the zipper at the right foot end of my WB UQ protector has torn out and fallen off.
    Brandon at WB says I will have to pay to have the zipper repaired. Uh, this doesn't seem right to me. Anyone else had this experience? I am very disappointed.
    If it was the zipper that made the popping sound then it was obviously under pressure. I swear my hang was perfect and the zipper was installed correctly, so what would cause this to happen?
    Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions in advance.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    I cannot envision the UQP zipper having any pressure. It zips to the outside body of the hammock and hangs down loose under whatever UQ you were using. Any zipper pressure would be hammock to bug net zipper. Some pressure could occur where bugnet rests on ridgeline. Were net, hammock body and UQP zipped properly?
    left lay born, left lay bred and when I die I'll be left lay dead.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Yes, it was all set up properly and the hang was perfect. It is bewildering to me.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Did you ask Warbonnet what happened to cause the zipper to malfunction.

1. Your BBXLC was hung perfectly at about a 30°s.
    2. You heard a rip.
    3. Your UQ zipper was damaged?
    4. I do not understand ..."The zipper popped and fell off the UQP". I have never had a zipper "fall off" zipper pulls come off sometimes, zipper teeth or coils fail or things jam but fall off I am not following.

Is it possible you were stressing the zipper such as you are a left lay or simply put a body part on the zipper that caused the coilto give way?

I have awoke with my whole upper body on the zipper / net on problem. I discovered I am a head right and feet left now I no longer awake sleeping on the net.

I am really sorry you are having problems with your gear. Bummer.
    Last edited by IRONFISH45; 11-02-2019 at 03:19.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    No senior moment, just poor description on my part I guess.
    The end of the zipper- basically the stop popped off, with maybe a few teeth. The fabric beneath it appears torn- as if I took a pair of pliers and ripped it out.
    Brandon has sent a replacement and is going to see if he can re create the scenario I have described. It is now looking like it will be covered under warranty. Whew!
    The part that blew off was at the very end of the hammock on the right. I was leaning into the shoulder area at the other end of the hammock on my left when I heard a loud pop sound and felt something shift. I had made sure to nest the zipper completely into place before zipping it shut- which is a bit of a challenge with the given space.
    You know, I was camping at a haunted site in the Adirondacks. Perhaps it was the ghosts! That is the best explanation I can think of:-)

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I assume that that you had an UQP with an extra zipper track installed, correct? And I also assume, that the damage was to the zipper on the UQP only?

Did you have an underquilt installed? If so, which one?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Your'e got it, that was my set up. I had installed the wookie UQ.Hmmm, I wonder if the UQ somehow put pressure on the zipper end?

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Not an isolated incident. Two of the guys in the group I hang with had zipper issues, one of them posted pictures on Facebook and got quite a few responses from people with the same problem. Sounds like the same issue you're having, both with no more than a few weeks in the hammocks, and both very experienced hangers. And they too had to pay for the repair.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinite View Post
    I wonder if the UQ somehow put pressure on the zipper end?
    That depends on how you put everything together. The Wooki has the same type of fabric knob on the end as the hammock, and the UQP doesn't provide a lot of room on the end. I have seen people closing the UQP so that the Wooki knob is outside. This puts a lot of stress on the zippers, which can even increase when you shift your weight in the hammock. I have always had the knob inside the hammock-UQP "shell" for that reason. Recently I re-whipped the Wooki about 1" shorter, mainly to pull up the sides a bit (to get a better seal on the feet and shoulder). I simply added a small cord loop to the foot end of the hammock, where I can clip in the Wooki. This not only improves the fit of the Wooki, but also puts the knob a little bit further from the foot end so that there's no stress on the UQP zippers anymore.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    Wookie UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Woopies,
    Quote Originally Posted by goobie View Post
    Not an isolated incident. Two of the guys in the group I hang with had zipper issues, one of them posted pictures on Facebook and got quite a few responses from people with the same problem. Sounds like the same issue you're having, both with no more than a few weeks in the hammocks, and both very experienced hangers. And they too had to pay for the repair.
    Of coarse I would prefer that none of us have had this experience, but I am glad to know that I am not the only one. Thanks for letting my know! Did they figure out why it happened?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast