Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Tree huggers + 7/64" Amsteel, but no whoopie sling

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this setup I've been playing with. I'm using short tree hugger straps and longer, 7/64" Amsteel line into which I tie a Becket hitch.

I've been looking to lighten my load and one obvious way is to go ditch the full 12' webbing and go for short 4' tree huggers. You make up the extra distance with whoopee slings which are lighter. One issue with that is folks have issues with whoopee slings having a minimum distance though, which can cause them to need to ditch one and connect directly to the tree hugger.

Another common suspension is use a full length tree strap and put a Becket hitch, a marlin spike hitch, or J-bend into the strap around the continuous loop. This provides very lightweight adjustability without the cinch buckle hardware. But the webbing is still heavier per foot than a whoopee sling.

So I've been experimenting with short tree huger straps and a simple length of 7/64" Amsteel with no whoopee sling on it. I just simply tie off a Becket hitch to my continuous loop right in the Amsteel. This is lighter than both the webbing Becket hitch and a whoopee sling. It's also cheaper than both.

I did worry about the Amsteel Becket hitch slipping since the rope is waxy and you don't have flexible webbing binding up against the continuous loop. But upon first tests, it seems really secure.

Anyone have any thoughts? Is it possible this is more common than I think and I'm just late to the party? Is there some good reason more folks aren't doing this?

Hammock
    DIY Argon 1.6
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Turtle Ties
    Images
    Amsteel usually isn‘t a good choice for knotting. If you are afraid of slipping, try some other rope material. A combination of dyneema core and mantle made of something non-slippery might hold better, but is still very strong and lightweight.
    Omnia vincit lectulus pensilis.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mittagsfrost View Post
    Amsteel usually isn‘t a good choice for knotting. If you are afraid of slipping, try some other rope material. A combination of dyneema core and mantle made of something non-slippery might hold better, but is still very strong and lightweight.
    How are you suggesting I use a combination of the two ropes? Also it didn't seem to be an issue in my tests... but it was exactly raining. I need to test more.
    Last edited by mmachenry; 10-30-2019 at 00:42.

Images
    Amsteel on amsteel tends to slip. Use a J-bend for more security, but prefer a strap for security reasons. I would also be interested in seeing how the Lapp Hitch would do in this case.

Suggestion to explore: you can make a continuous loop out of webbing. I dont see many people doing this, but there is not reason why not.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    Amsteel on amsteel tends to slip. Use a J-bend for more security, but prefer a strap for security reasons. I would also be interested in seeing how the Lapp Hitch would do in this case.

Suggestion to explore: you can make a continuous loop out of webbing. I dont see many people doing this, but there is not reason why not.
    Huh, a continuous loop made of webbing is really interesting. But I honestly don't see how it would effect this. We're talking about a continuous loop that is basically hooked over (and through) the knot of a Becket hitch. If the continuous loop was made out of magical zero friction, zero width rope, it would still not be able to slip out. It's a loop and it would just slide around in circles. It's the line that has the Becket hitch in it that you need to worry about your slippery hitch coming undone from.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Or perhaps a device like this along the 7/64" Amsteel line would work better. It would work like a line lock of sorts. Holding its position under tension. Does anyone know what that sort of device is called? A line lock from my Google searches is generally more used to replace a taught line hitch whereas this is just an anchor point along the line. The hooks on opposite sides are for looping the continuous loop over it.

whoopee.png

note: This is a very rough draft just for the purpose of conversation and exact dimensions or ratios don't need to be critiqued

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Maybe replace your 7/64 Amsteel with mule tape? I haven't weighed it though I do have a mile or two of mule tape. It would reduce the likelihood of the Amsteel on Amsteel slippage, and not suffer compression issues as much as knotting the Amsteel.

Or, put a Ti Loop Alien on your CL and secure that to the Amsteel. Works a charm, but same compression issues. BTDT a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    I thought the same thing.. A continuous webbing (CW ?) would be limiting with regards to using different suspensions, but would reduce the likelihood of slipping.

Quote Originally Posted by mmachenry View Post
    Or perhaps a device like this along the 7/64" Amsteel line would work better. It would work like a line lock of sorts. Holding its position under tension. Does anyone know what that sort of device is called? A line lock from my Google searches is generally more used to replace a taught line hitch whereas this is just an anchor point along the line. The hooks on opposite sides are for looping the continuous loop over it.

whoopee.png

note: This is a very rough draft just for the purpose of conversation and exact dimensions or ratios don't need to be critiqued
    Anchor I think it was called. I have a pair that I never used. The cordage threads through the hole in the middle and is secured with a bite dropped around the straight end. the CL is hooked over the points. This echo's back to Dutch Speed Hooks in how they are secured and sadly those went bye bye because of compression issues. That said, you can replicate it that kind of adjustment with a Dutch Double Whoopie Hook.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

I just switched to this type of suspension. I got Dutch's 5' spider web huggers and attached 10' of amsteel and the entire suspension system in a mesh stuff sack only weighs about 3 oz! I use turtle ties to attach the hammock. https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ghlight=turtle

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    you could also use these: https://www.fugal-innovations.com/product/turtle-tie/

I have these on my hammocks
    There's magic in the woods,
    if you know where to look for it.
    -Pete's Dragon

Hammock
    The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief
    If the becket slips, or is difficult to untie, a J-bend might work better.

Alternatively, you could use a marlin-spike hitch in the amsteel. Hmm, that's an idea I might try myself. I find the marlin-spike easier to untie and retie compared to the becket (and especially compared the J-bend). And it should work in amsteel just as well as it does in webbing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast