SLD 10' MTN 1.2
    Tarp
    HG Standard DCF
    Insulation
    Enigma/Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    UHMWPE

My experience with Kevlar/Amsteel suspension

Used 4 ft Kevlar-3.3 plus 12 ft Amsteel with J-Bend on a trip this spring. Yes it was super light, but untying the J-Bend was more trouble than it was worth. Even caused me to take liberties with the J-Bend that should not have happened to make untying easier. A huge mistake.

My October trip consisted of just 12 feet of Kevlar-3.3 and it made everything easier to tie. Didn't matter if it was J-Bend, Becket, or Lapp Hitch; they all worked like a dream AND they all were easy to untie. The one caveat is that I am not a big person. Someone weighing over 200 pounds might see it differently.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Recalc View Post
    Used 4 ft Kevlar-3.3 plus 12 ft Amsteel with J-Bend on a trip this spring. Yes it was super light, but untying the J-Bend was more trouble than it was worth. Even caused me to take liberties with the J-Bend that should not have happened to make untying easier. A huge mistake.

My October trip consisted of just 12 feet of Kevlar-3.3 and it made everything easier to tie. Didn't matter if it was J-Bend, Becket, or Lapp Hitch; they all worked like a dream AND they all were easy to untie. The one caveat is that I am not a big person. Someone weighing over 200 pounds might see it differently.
    My observations as well.

I'm using some 1.9 Kevlar now but if for some reason I had to choose only one to use from here on out it would be Kevlar 3.3. Overall best IMHO for no-hardware applications.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Anchor I think it was called. I have a pair that I never used. The cordage threads through the hole in the middle and is secured with a bite dropped around the straight end. the CL is hooked over the points.
    Do you have a picture of the anchor you wouldn't mind posting?

This echo's back to Dutch Speed Hooks in how they are secured and sadly those went bye bye because of compression issues. That said, you can replicate it that kind of adjustment with a Dutch Double Whoopie Hook.
    Oh you nailed it. I've basically reinvented the speed hook here. Thanks. I guess the reason people don't use it is the same reason Dutch discontinue it. This pretty much answers my question.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by soul embrace View Post
    you could also use these: https://www.fugal-innovations.com/product/turtle-tie/

I have these on my hammocks
    Yep. Sweet. This is basically what I was getting at. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mmachenry View Post
    Do you have a picture of the anchor you wouldn't mind posting?.
    I'll get a picture for you.

After years of trying different options, none is easier and more simple that just a strap. Becket is my choice and I never had it lock up with the 2.2.

I have a good amount of 2.2 Kevlar so that's my go-to until I run out. Also have 1.9 Kevlar..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

After years of trying different options, none is easier and more simple that just a strap. Becket is my choice and I never had it lock up with the 2.2.

I have a good amount of 2.2 Kevlar so that's my go-to until I run out. Also have 1.9 Kevlar..

Thanks. I ended up buying a pair of Turtle Ties and I'm going to continue to experiment with a Becket Hitch or J bend in my Amsteel as well. However, running the numbers, if I were to use the lightest weight Kevlar straps that work for me, the weight savings of using Amsteel to replace the non-tree part seem really low. Especially if adding the Turtle Ties then the weight savings over having just the straps is negative until you go past something like 4' straps and 6' of additional rope.

So maybe I need to try out what you're doing and just go 100% Kevlar for the most light weight no nonsense option. But really I'm going to try everything out simple because it's fun and I might as well experiment until I've tried everything that I think I might like.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    ....So maybe I need to try out what you're doing and just go 100% Kevlar for the most light weight no nonsense option. But really I'm going to try everything out simple because it's fun and I might as well experiment until I've tried everything that I think I might like.

Agree with trying different options.. if only for the fun of it. I've tried a ton!

Worth mentioning... over the recent past I have focused on getting my gear simplified and lighter. Almost to the point of being maniacal about it. That said, there are a few things that I don't weigh any more. Suspension is one of them. In part because I am confident what I am using is at the extreme of UL to begin with, but also because it's one piece of gear where simplicity, dependability and ease trumps final weight. Almost like a luxury item. I need it to work every time, and I need to be able to set it up in dark, cold, wet, wind, gloved conditions, with no extra steps, bits, bobs or add-ons. No nonsense as you say. Can't think of anything easier than a simple length of kevlar strap

If I were to go back to one of the hardware solutions I think the Loop Alian is a favorite. As is the Dutch Double Whoopie hook.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Thanks. I ended up buying a pair of Turtle Ties and I'm going to continue to experiment with a Becket Hitch or J bend in my Amsteel as well. However, running the numbers, if I were to use the lightest weight Kevlar straps that work for me, the weight savings of using Amsteel to replace the non-tree part seem really low. Especially if adding the Turtle Ties then the weight savings over having just the straps is negative until you go past something like 4' straps and 6' of additional rope.

So maybe I need to try out what you're doing and just go 100% Kevlar for the most light weight no nonsense option. But really I'm going to try everything out simple because it's fun and I might as well experiment until I've tried everything that I think I might like.
    Believe me, we who strive for simplicity and low (and not necessarily lowest!) weight understand this early phase of experimentation. And it's good to try different stuff to get a feel for options like whoopies and beetle/cinch-type buckles and UCRs etc.

But when you're ready for the lightest no-faff setup, the path leads to straight webbing-to-CL. Although I was dazzled with Venom (which is RBTR's very light UHMWPE webbing), like other similar offerings it bunches up and is more like a cord than a webbing, so I went back to Kevlar and do not worry one bit that it is a few grams heavier.

Now there is admittedly a learning curve for getting correct hammock height when using straight strap-to-CL. My personal trick is to attach the hitch at the head-end CL such that it is about sternum high and the foot end at about chin or nose height. If I do this it doesn't matter if the hammock is perfectly centered between the trees or if the suspension hangle is a bit too shallow. It comes out pretty close to perfect nearly every time, and it's easy to tweak by sliding the tree end up or down a bit, and occasionally re-tying the CL hitch.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Now there is admittedly a learning curve for getting correct hammock height when using straight strap-to-CL. My personal trick is to attach the hitch at the head-end CL such that it is about sternum high and the foot end at about chin or nose height. If I do this it doesn't matter if the hammock is perfectly centered between the trees or if the suspension hangle is a bit too shallow. It comes out pretty close to perfect nearly every time, and it's easy to tweak by sliding the tree end up or down a bit, and occasionally re-tying the CL hitch.
    ^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

And I typically start with the foot end strap as high as can reach and the head end at face height. I don't think I have retied a becket in a long time. It's usually close enough.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!

How do you deal with the Kevlar straps rolling up and not laying flat? I’m currently using UMHWPE straps and the one thing I cant stand is how bad they roll up. Is Kevlar any better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast